News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’m not gonna pay 75 bucks a month just to watch the Avs on fubo this year. I’ll sail the open seas or I just won’t watch. The Avs said they were gonna figure this out as a priority #1 and still haven’t figured it out. Morons

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’m not gonna pay 75 bucks a month just to watch the Avs on fubo this year. I’ll sail the open seas or I just won’t watch. The Avs said they were gonna figure this out as a priority #1 and still haven’t figured it out. Morons
Where do you live? It probably won't help if you are in the Avalanche broadcast area, but for me, in Alaska, the Disney+ bundle is like $13-$14/month and you get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Hulu is the ad-supported, non-live tv version (how they initially started). The ESPN+ package though gives you access to every non-national broadcast game. I get every Avalanche game, except those against the Kraken. The state of Washington, claimed the state of Alaska as their broadcast area, even though we are separated by an entire country and three other NHL teams exist between us.

It's still a good deal that gets me the vast, vast, majority of Avs games. I pick up Sling.tv in the spring and keep it through the playoffs, this gives me access to TBS, TNT, and the official ESPN/ESPN2 channels where most of the playoffs are aired. I think that runs like 35 a month, but I only use it for the last half of april, may and june and then disconnect it for the rest of the year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Where do you live? It probably won't help if you are in the Avalanche broadcast area, but for me, in Alaska, the Disney+ bundle is like $13-$14/month and you get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Hulu is the ad-supported, non-live tv version (how they initially started). The ESPN+ package though gives you access to every non-national broadcast game. I get every Avalanche game, except those against the Kraken. The state of Washington, claimed the state of Alaska as their broadcast area, even though we are separated by an entire country and three other NHL teams exist between us.

It's still a good deal that gets me the vast, vast, majority of Avs games. I pick up Sling.tv in the spring and keep it through the playoffs, this gives me access to TBS, TNT, and the official ESPN/ESPN2 channels where most of the playoffs are aired. I think that runs like 35 a month, but I only use it for the last half of april, may and june and then disconnect it for the rest of the year.
I stand by this being the absolute best deal in streaming. At least until Venu is allowed by regulators.... which at that point, they'll probably have a $50 bundle.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
The issue with Altitude is if you are living in Colorado where your team plays, right? This happens all over the place with the convoluted tangle of outdated rights, rights negotiating and blackout restrictions.

If you live in Chicago and wanted to watch the Cubs, you used to have to either have cable/streaming through the one or two companies that carry Marquee, or for streaming only Fubo I believe. Eventually Marquee got their own app so I was allowed the privilege of paying $20 a month to see the Cubs (and the Sky and maybe the rugby team?).

It's funny how the scam for sports fans used to be you'd almost have to get the most expensive tier of cable and/or buy a season of the sports package. Now there are way more options but everything's exploded out in a way that you end up accruing separate $10 and $15 subs that bring it up to that kind of expenditure.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I stand by this being the absolute best deal in streaming. At least until Venu is allowed by regulators.... which at that point, they'll probably have a $50 bundle.
I am super curious about Venu - if it is what they are saying, it's my dream solution, especially if it allows me to see actual ESPN. I understand why ESPN+ has everything but their ESPN live events, but I still hate it. I wouldn't ever have need for a "cable" service if not for my sports addiction. I can't believe the good fortune of paying $15 and getting 3 services and what used to be Center Ice and cost me $150 or so.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The issue with Altitude is if you are living in Colorado where your team plays, right? This happens all over the place with the convoluted tangle of outdated rights, rights negotiating and blackout restrictions.

If you live in Chicago and wanted to watch the Cubs, you used to have to either have cable/streaming through the one or two companies that carry Marquee, or for streaming only Fubo I believe. Eventually Marquee got their own app so I was allowed the privilege of paying $20 a month to see the Cubs (and the Sky and maybe the rugby team?).

It's funny how the scam for sports fans used to be you'd almost have to get the most expensive tier of cable and/or buy a season of the sports package. Now there are way more options but everything's exploded out in a way that you end up accruing separate $10 and $15 subs that bring it up to that kind of expenditure.

It is the regional blackout area that's the main issue. Outside that, whoever holds that countries rights allows them broadcast. So for the Avs it is Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Kansas (unsure of the map change with the move of Arizona to Utah). Within that area, Comcast holds a lot of the cable rights and are simply not hosting Altitude. So many people have to resort to other TV means to get Altitude... and KSE wants too much for most streaming providers to offer it. Basically Fubo IIRC.

The ala carte TV is a really big be careful what you wish for situation.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AvBuff

May 1, 2019

I used to think that way. But if I go to my local sports bar to watch 1 Avs game a month with my hockey-obsessed daughter, that's $100 right there. So for the price of one night out, I get to watch all the Avs games every month on Fubo. It's the only way I can rationalize it until the goobers at Altitude figure it out.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I am super curious about Venu - if it is what they are saying, it's my dream solution, especially if it allows me to see actual ESPN. I understand why ESPN+ has everything but their ESPN live events, but I still hate it. I wouldn't ever have need for a "cable" service if not for my sports addiction. I can't believe the good fortune of paying $15 and getting 3 services and what used to be Center Ice and cost me $150 or so.
Yup and it likely having bundles with Hulu and Disney would make it a no brainer. Which is why Fubu and others will fight it tooth and nail. It'll destroy the competition in no time. Given the regulation in the states, it is probably only a matter of time before it is approved... but it might be 2025 before it it.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
It is the regional blackout area that's the main issue. Outside that, whoever holds that countries rights allows them broadcast. So for the Avs it is Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Kansas (unsure of the map change with the move of Arizona to Utah). Within that area, Comcast holds a lot of the cable rights and are simply not hosting Altitude. So many people have to resort to other TV means to get Altitude... and KSE wants too much for most streaming providers to offer it. Basically Fubo IIRC.

It's very much like the Marquee situation. I think the Lakers and/or Dodgers had a similar thing going on years prior.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I used to think that way. But if I go to my local sports bar to watch 1 Avs game a month with my hockey-obsessed daughter, that's $100 right there. So for the price of one night out, I get to watch all the Avs games every month on Fubo. It's the only way I can rationalize it until the goobers at Altitude figure it out.
I don’t drink and I don’t like being around people that do so.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

yeah I’m in the metro. Would that black out games … unless a vpn?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Honestly, I have no idea. If you were a Seattle fan, living in Seattle, I could guarantee it would block you out unless you Roots Sports. But I really have no idea how things are impacted right now with the Avs regional broadcast area. I can understand your reluctance to use a VPN. I'd much rather pay a reasonable price and just watch the damn games with a clear conscious.

Reactions: lionsDen

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Yes true. The real issue is how KSE is playing it off like there are viable alternatives, when there are just two requiring a massive outlay monthly for mostly channels we don't watch. It's true even if Comcast brought back Altitude that there would be a lot of people who still wouldn't watch because in general we are moving on from the bundled experience and yet the sports leagues refuse to do something about this. Altitude is especially egregious because in not way can they say they make more from little distribution compared to just going the free route for at least some of their games. If they showed 20-30 on local TV that would be a huge upgrade for fan experience and really cost them little. And they own the damn thing which makes it worse. It's not like there is some middle man saying I need to get mine holding things up.

Reactions: Gumballhead

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Definitely good justification. Back in 2022 I joined the nearest Planet Fitness for 12/month because they had Direct and showed the games. Then maybe 5 months in they suddenly went to Dish and there went the games. A few times I spent 90 minutes on treadmills and ellipticals because the games were good. So I can say my health suffers thanks to this nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: Gumballhead

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Comcast is also in Northern New Mexico, PITA for watching the Avs here, too.

Reactions: madman

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Comcast is also in Northern New Mexico, PITA for watching the Avs here, too.
It will probably be made worse with the new regional maps. I'd bet the Avs either out right gain the area, or at least gain priority. New Mexico was previously an Arizona priority with Avs having secondary rights. It would be weird for Utah to maintain those rights.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes you would still need a VPN to “steal” the content you paid for and ESPN has good VPN detection so it’s not an easy one step solution either.

Altitude is a worthless channel too unless you are a fan of Golf at Altitude and Fishful Thinker. It’s ridiculous to jump through hoops to watch a few hours a week of it. I hate the streams too, so I’m not thrilled about resorting to that either. It’s a completely broken situation and increasingly becoming not worth it.

Reactions: cinchronicity

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Meghan was/is always the smartest person in the DNVR room. More than just a pretty face, she really knows the game and is a real authority on what is happening in Loveland and in the Avs farm system in general. If you listen to DNVR (it ain't always easy) she always comes in with the most informed take after Rudo (who I kinda like) weighs in and Eric Lacroix (painfully) talks in circles for 10 minutes without stopping.

She needs to speak with more authority and project more - that can be taught. And there is an opening at Altitude with KG gone . . .

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Meghan was/is always the smartest person in the DNVR room. More than just a pretty face, she really knows the game and is a real authority on what is happening in Loveland and in the Avs farm system in general. If you listen to DNVR (it ain't always easy) she always comes in with the most informed take after Rudo (who I kinda like) weighs in and Eric Lacroix (painfully) talks in circles for 10 minutes without stopping.

She needs to speak with more authority and project more - that can be taught. And there is an opening at Altitude with KG gone . . .

Rudo and Eric are, IMO, the worst parts of that podcast after Jesse left (I could not stand listening to Jesse for more than 10 seconds). I barely listened before, with AJ and Meghan gone I doubt I ever will again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad