Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno owns Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So far, from what I've seen, I'm fine with keeping that line together for the foreseeable future.

The only wrench to throw into that plan is Crosby's line not working. If they don't want to break up HBK, the only other option is to move Rust and Horny. At least Rust and Malkin have worked before in the past.

edit: I would be remiss to not mention the "Here we go Steelers" chant at the end of the game. ****ing awesome to hear, I can't lie.

I think Rust would work better with Geno, honestly. I'm rather shocked at how bad he and Sid have looked together. I think Rust is sort of showing that he's ideally a 3rd line RW. I'd try him with Geno and see how it does.

I still wouldn't trade for a top 6 winger though, as HBK is done after this year, I believe. Bonino shouldn't be re-signed unless he comes at a really good price.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The one shift I saw with Guentzel-Geno-Rust (when Horny blocked a shot and left early) was more than enough.

Anyway, there's another option if Sid's line isn't working than doesn't involve touching Geno's current line or HBK. :popcorn:

We'll see if GMJR even considers making a trade that big... I do think this team has the capability to repeat with it's current roster. Certain players have to start playing to the level they displayed last post-season though.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sid looked lazy all night. And not recognising that Fehr was clearly in trouble on the PP and getting back. Ugh. Boninoboninobonino is looking very Kunitz in the top 6-esque. Linemates get the puck going, then he's a bit slow, gets in a puck battle and makes a bad pass and stops the momentum.

Apart from that, no complaints. I think swap Rust and Kessel and I'll be happy with the lines.

Ruhwedel looked solid tonight and Gaunce got a few nice shots through. Them playing solid was a big part of us getting the win.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I think Rust would work better with Geno, honestly. I'm rather shocked at how bad he and Sid have looked together. I think Rust is sort of showing that he's ideally a 3rd line RW. I'd try him with Geno and see how it does.

I still wouldn't trade for a top 6 winger though, as HBK is done after this year, I believe. Bonino shouldn't be re-signed unless he comes at a really good price.

I'd definitely swap Rust and Horny right now just to see what we have there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So can we get Hornqvist back with Crosby now? guy has barely scored any goals since Rust was put there. Put Hornqvist back and let Rust play on the 2nd line with Geno and Pretzel.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Rust with Geno-Pretzel any more than I like it with Sid-Sheary.

We'll see if GMJR even considers making a trade that big... I do think this team has the capability to repeat with it's current roster. Certain players have to start playing to the level they displayed last post-season though.

Sure, they can repeat. BUT, an impact top six RW is a game changer, bigger than adding an impact defenseman IMO.

4th line is where I think he ends up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I had to miss this one but I'm glad to hear that Murray looks pretty much back to his old self. Not terribly surprised. Injury + a long period of inactivity will do that.

Also nice to hear Gaunce had another solid game. And that Malkin's line continues to build chemistry.

Finally and maybe most importantly... nice to see the team do some good sustained work on the road.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Sure, they can repeat. BUT, an impact top six RW is a game changer, bigger than adding an impact defenseman IMO.

I'll take it if I can get it, so let me put it that way.

I just don't know if it will actually happen, and if it doesn't I think things can still work themselves out.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not sure I like the idea of Rust with Geno-Pretzel any more than I like it with Sid-Sheary.

Well then swap Kessel and Rust if we are keeping Hornqvist with Malkin.

Sheary-Crosby-Kessel
Guenztel-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hags-Bones-Rust

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
how would you feel if the coach put you on the pp with ku-nuts and fehr?

He watched the play when Fehr had a very slim chance of cutting that off. And Sid was only sent out there with them because the game was getting out of hand and Geno was on a long shift before.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If they'd just put Horny with Sheary-Sid, they can fiddle with the middle 6 til their hearts content.
If theres some unwritten thing that Horny can't go back with Sid then give him one Bone's wingers and drop Rust right into his wheel house on the 3rd line.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Sid's line just isn't there. I don't like it and they aren't passing the eye test at all. They are hemmed in their zone a lot. Sid looks disinterested and the only Canes goal was entirely his fault. He just stared the play down and didn't feel like skating. It's like he passed off his 200 foot game to Geno and just doesn't look interested at all right now. And it's frustrating because Rust just doesn't fit that line and it keeps getting forced out there. I don't like it but the bright spot in Sheary is just dominating. 43 is excellent this year.

You can't blame Sheary Rust combo for that goal. They weren't on the ice. Right? That was Fehr and Kunitz I think.

If Sid wasn't feeling it because of Rust, he'd probably look a little bit better on that line.

Still I don't like Sheary and Rust combo seem to get stuck in their own end.

Shame with Wilson getting hurt. Yet again he's heating up, and then gets hurt. Hope he gets well very soon.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kunitz and Fehr on that 4th line is pretty solld too. That'd be a hell of a 4th line to march out there...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He watched the play when Fehr had a very slim chance of cutting that off. And Sid was only sent out there with them because the game was getting out of hand and Geno was on a long shift before.

The thing that irked me more than that was the defenseman already was in deep. Sid was the only person high. He needs to rotate towards the middle there with the puck on the far side.

BTW, tonight's 3 stars . . .

#1 - Daley
#2 - Sheary
#3 - Rust

No Geno? No Murray? :help:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Guentzel-Geno-Kessel
H-B-R

Are those the combos that would work best?

Sully wants HBK. In that event . . .

Sheary-Sid-TRADE/Horny
Guentzel-Geno-Horny/TRADE
HBK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd definitely swap Rust and Horny right now just to see what we have there.

If you could give Hornqvist Rust's wheels, he;d be the perfect match. Sid needs the skill, but with Sheary playing the way he has...I'm thinking Horny works better.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's one of the most enjoyable Pens games I've ever seen.

- Hornqvist in Ward's nightmares, including the coupe-de-grace bowling ball imitation
- Geno running ****
- the Cole hit
- Errey getting hit by a puck
- HBK looking a lot better
- that gorgeous tic-tac-toe Sheary goal

10/10 Game

- Even Kunitz looked solid. WTF

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

- Hornqvist in Ward's nightmares, including the coupe-de-grace bowling ball imitation
- Geno running ****
- the Cole hit

10/10 Game

If he simplifies his game, and plays like the grinder that he is, he can actually be effective. Of course those limited minutes also help things.

He also did pretty well on the PK too...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

- Geno running ****
- the Cole hit

10/10 Game

One, two, Horny's coming for you. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing that irked me more than that was the defenseman already was in deep. Sid was the only person high. He needs to rotate towards the middle there with the puck on the far side.

BTW, tonight's 3 stars . . .

#1 - Daley
#2 - Sheary
#3 - Rust

No Geno? No Murray? :help:

Yeah.. mine would be:

#1 Daley
#2 Geno
#3 Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad