Post-Game Talk: Cole's Minus/Minus Thread: The Pens duck a win to continue their impressive streak!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
this game was 100% lost when sully decided to once again indulge his hate-on for riikola

he directly gifted two goals to the ducks in what was largely a one goal game

the pens haven't been rolling over and dying this trip, but they haven't had much go their way, either, and that's extra hard when the handicapping starts behind the bench

again, simply playing *five defensemen* might actually have been preferable. get the f*** over yourself, sully.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think we peaked too early, I think we strayed far away from playing a sound fundamental brand of hockey. We're turning over pucks as if there's a quota to be met. Our play in front of our net is an adventure. And we're not aptly manning guys away from the crease to allow our goalies the vision to make saves. Other than that we've been tremendous!

Let's just say, the structure peaked. lul

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Zucker could have had four goals tonight. But I'm encouraged by the two he did score.
I don't get why people are worried about Zucker. He's still figuring out the system and you can see it. A lot of the times he is staring at Sid on the ice wondering what Sid is going to do. But he's a smart guy and he'll eventually get it. And he works hard.

But you know who doesn't work hard? Sheary. He's almost embarrassing in the defensive zone. And he doesn't win many battles on the offensive zone either. He's good in the NZ with time and space. That's what he is. All lipstick. Nothing real that will translate to the playoffs.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Really hope someone questions Sully’s decision to play Trotman. It would be beautiful.

Every one of our dmen outside of Letang plays like they’re scared to have the puck on their stick. Riikola seems to like having the puck on his stick even if he has some bad pinches/plays without it.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
+Zucker
+ I got all my laundry done and I’m ready for the weekend.

- Trotman
- Sully for starting Trotman

If they lose tomorrow, JR needs to fire Sully and see if Gallant wants to coach.
Also, the Sheary/Rodrigues trade sucks. JR should have done better. Don’t @ me.
I have a feeling that as long as Sullivan and JR are still employed, there will be no more Cup parades.
And for goodness sake get Marleau off the 3rd freakin line

Reactions: ownal

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
source.gif
X4RR1hY.gif

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
this game was 100% lost when sully decided to once again indulge his hate-on for riikola

he directly gifted two goals to the ducks in what was largely a one goal game

the pens haven't been rolling over and dying this trip, but they haven't had much go their way, either, and that's extra hard when the handicapping starts behind the bench

again, simply playing *five defensemen* might actually have been preferable. get the f*** over yourself, sully.
Even if all 5 of the other defensemen were injured. I'd still keep Trotman's ass super glued to the bench.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It’s funny for how successful the Pens have been in this era they struggle mightily under success. As soon as Sullivan gets mainstream buzz for Adams he starts doubling down on bad lineup decisions and as soon as the Pens get first place they have a 5 game losing streak, including against Buffalo, LA and Anaheim.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I love Sully. I just want that known but if it was his hand to get rid of Kahun and for Sheary on top of that then that's quite an indictment on him.

Disclaimer:

No I don't think that trade is on the top 4 problems with the team right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is it really that much of a shock when one of our only wingers who can actually snipe (Jake) goes down and the rest of the winger group is full of guys who'd score in the 10-15 goal range on all other teams?

I think we're seeing what happens when you once again put all the emphasis on Crosby/Malkin creating EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY. When they can't, or when they need some help, we go through this stretch of games where no one scores.

No, not at all.

We've placed a premium on speed and work ethic for our support players, usually at the expense of pure skill. That has its benefits and its drawbacks.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I only bring up firing Sully because Trotman for Riikola is one of the worst decisions I've seen a head coach make, ever.

And I'm not someone who thinks Riikola is a sure-fire top-4 D, just an NHL player who is playing at a high level right now. Higher than any of our defensemen not wearing #58. The last game was on national TV and the announcers were praising Riikola all over the ice. It's simply a baffling decision that speaks to a coach that has maybe lost his grip on his team.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know. I'm a big Sully defender but these lineup decisions have been complete shit lately. We're not playing well, and our entire blueline's garbage lately, but c'mon man--dress the proper f***ing players and put them in the best spots to succeed. :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't get why people are worried about Zucker. He's still figuring out the system and you can see it. A lot of the times he is staring at Sid on the ice wondering what Sid is going to do. But he's a smart guy and he'll eventually get it. And he works hard.

But you know who doesn't work hard? Sheary. He's almost embarrassing in the defensive zone. And he doesn't win many battles on the offensive zone either. He's good in the NZ with time and space. That's what he is. All lipstick. Nothing real that will translate to the playoffs.
100% agree with you on Zucker. As far as Sheary goes I didn't like that trade when it happened, and that opinion isn't likely to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad