Post-Game Talk: Cole's Minus/Minus Thread: The Pens duck a win to continue their impressive streak!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really have much confidence in either Murray or Jarry right now. Both Murray and Jarry have almost identical stat lines in 2020 so far, with Murray being 6-4-1 with a .911 save% and Jarry being 7-5-1 with a .912 save%. Neither is playing "bad" right now, but they're just playing fine. I don't have confidence in this team having success in the playoffs if either goalie is just playing fine.

You can be getting way worse goaltending than just average play that the Penguins have been getting recently, but its' still really concerning to see. The early season play of both of these guys has worn off, but now both are just playing alright.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Bju will be back to and can’t be any worse than McCann.

It’s cool to hate on him, but he had a good stretch run last season so we shall see.
I said this a while ago, but imagine how huge it would be if Bjugstad came back amped up and played like he was last year. Would be absolutely huge.

Now Sully playing him or any center who isn’t Geno, Sid or Blueger more than 8 min is a whole different story.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
With our D healthy? Absolutely.

Tampa and Washington’s D is complete ass. Our team is built for the playoffs.

Interesting.... I hope you’re right and see something I do not. I would love to watch some fun playoff hockey this year. Especially after that awful Isles series.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
It is rather revolting to see how small and soft this team is. Very few are actually willing and able to stand in the prime scoring areas with consistency. I enjoyed the tenacity and grit that Angello and Lafferty brought to the lineup; now the bottom-six doesn't carry any of that spunk whatsoever.

It so easy to take liberties with Malkin knowing that he has a short fuse and he doesn't actually know how to handle himself when it escalates to a fight. It really is pathetic to watch. I understand finding players to 'fit' in the system is the management's top priority, but could they not find anyone that could set a tone physically and still play effectively if they felt the need to add at the deadline? Sheary and Rodrigues are depth pieces that only added to the deficiencies that they already had.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
You missed malkin’s flyby turnover on the second one.

Let’s talk about the whole play not just some of it to make your point.

Malkin was beelining from bench to DZ (it was middle of the line change) and his only fault there was he didn't manage to catch that blind throwaway by Trotman. I hope you apply that definition of turnover for every player ...

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Malkin was beelining from bench to DZ (it was middle of the line change) and his only fault there was he didn't manage to catch that blind throwaway by Trotman. I hope you apply that definition of turnover for every player ...

Geno excuse train has come to town yet again.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I just wanted to say that if Bylsma...er...Sullivan starts Trotman again tonight I am done with him, and I generally really like Sullivan.

Reactions: OswaldBates

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The truly great centers were not this fussy about who was on their line.

I don't remember Mario demanding that he couldn't play with a winger. He turned the Rob Browns into 100 pt players.

Why are Sid and Geno deserving of this privilege?

If you want to use an example for players not being “fussy” Mario is probably not the best pick.

Reactions: Gert B Frobe

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno isn't fussy about who is on his line. WE are the ones who want certain players on or off Geno's line.

Sid however has been picking his linemates for better or (often) worse for quite some time.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This really just sounds like grasping at anything to not point the finger at Crosby. Crosby's playing like shit right now and his lack of production is the primary reason they've lost 5 in a row. Blaming Sheary/Simon when Crosby's paid the big bucks to produce makes no sense. It's the equivalent of saying that a flat tire is causing problems for a car whose engine blew up and is now engulfed in flames.

And saying Crosby is the primary reason they've lost 5 in a row is like blaming an engine that doesn't work when literally nothing else on the car works, either. Even if the engine was in perfect working order, the car is still going nowhere because of the multitude of other problems.

That's essentially what you're doing. Blaming one piece (an important piece, granted) of an entire automobile that's currently not got a single thing working right for it not being road-worthy.

Reactions: canadianguy77

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Probably because they’ve had more team success than Mario.

Mario had no 2016 Matt Murray in '96. Had Barrasso played at an NHL level in 1996, 90s Pens could have at least 3 Cups.

Barrasso's decline already began in '93. So Mario might have had 4 Cups in the 90s. '93 would have at least been the premium Finals in league history with the Pens and the Kings.

If you want to use an example for players not being “fussy” Mario is probably not the best pick.

He was fussy with coaches and hated Bowman; I don't recall any whining about linemates.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The truly great centers were not this fussy about who was on their line.

I don't remember Mario demanding that he couldn't play with a winger. He turned the Rob Browns into 100 pt players.

Why are Sid and Geno deserving of this privilege?
Are they though? It's been said on here that Sid picks his linemates. But I have yet to be presented with any proof of that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Are they though? It's been said on here that Sid picks his linemates. But I have yet to be presented with any proof of that.

HF speculation = proof.

I mean, I have no doubt he's got preferences. However, I've yet to see actual proof (ie. interviews, statements) to the effect. Yet HF would have you believe he's literally dictating to Sullivan who plays on his line.

This board is so predictable when it comes to "criticisms" for the big boys whenever the Pens go into a losing streak:

1-Crosby - he picks his linemates and needs to suck it up and play with who the coach wants him to
2-Malkin - he's a lazy Russian that doesn't care
3-Murray - every goal he lets in should have been saved
4-Letang - he keeps giving away the puck on every goal against

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't really have much confidence in either Murray or Jarry right now. Both Murray and Jarry have almost identical stat lines in 2020 so far, with Murray being 6-4-1 with a .911 save% and Jarry being 7-5-1 with a .912 save%. Neither is playing "bad" right now, but they're just playing fine. I don't have confidence in this team having success in the playoffs if either goalie is just playing fine.

You can be getting way worse goaltending than just average play that the Penguins have been getting recently, but its' still really concerning to see. The early season play of both of these guys has worn off, but now both are just playing alright.

Both have fallen back to Earth.

I don't think the every-other-game platoon is helping/working at this point either.

Reactions: ncm7772

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Sorry but that would require playing Riikola regularly.

at least Rikola doesn't directly put 2 pucks in his own net.
We did get a lot of shots on net, Gibson was playing well, but we also hit something like 3 posts? But if our own defensemen isn't putting the puck back in the net we at the very least come away with a tie if not a win in this game.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

with this defense i actually think both are doing well. You have Trotman scoring goals on your goalie. JJ fumbling it in the center of the ice. Letang has been horrendous with passes. And pets cant make a pass more than 5 feet right now.

The issue is the defense cant defend or have any offense right now. Nothing is working and sullivans response is lets put in trotman.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Snowflakes

Ha...
Here.... Snowflake!
giphy.gif

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
yeah ignoring should be reserved for the most obnoxious trolls... and even they serve a purpose in crafting opinions.... shutting off people because they disagree with your personal viewpoints is quite immature...

hey some guys want us to go big and beefy, others want more skill, some are optimistic and others the sky is falling... whatever... its a huge fanbase and a lot of opinions are out there... lol
iu

Click!

:tmi:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
jeebus these boards are comical. we go from we are 2016 run part deux and sullivan is god. to sullivan will be fired and if we even make the playoffs we're out in the first round.

never change hfboards, never change.

remain calm people. I have faith that this team has the ability to beat any team in the NHL in a 7 game series once we are healthy (minus guenztel of course) Marino has at times been our best defender on the ice, and Dumo is a rock defensively by anyone's standards. As long as those two are 100% and no other injuries we have a pretty good chance of coming out of the east.

I have zero faith that the Lightning are anything other then regular season all-stars.
Boston is the toughest opponent we might face imo, but they can't roll 4 lines like we can.
The Caps goaltending is all over the place and they have had struggles this season.

After those three I don't see us getting knocked out by the islanders again, nor do I see the Flyers doing it. (or cats).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
at least Rikola doesn't directly put 2 pucks in his own net.
We did get a lot of shots on net, Gibson was playing well, but we also hit something like 3 posts? But if our own defensemen isn't putting the puck back in the net we at the very least come away with a tie if not a win in this game.

You're preaching to the choir bud

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad