Cole Perfetti RFA contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How could you possibly know if Associate Dumbass and Perfetti are on the same page? I would suspect that Perfetti is pissed about sitting for all but 2 periods of the playoffs and is now holding the Jets feet to the fire on a new contract. After what happened with McGroatry the Jets can ill afford another trade demand from a really good young player.

What leverage does he have to "hold the Jets feet to the fire"? None.

Who's his agent?
Overcharge

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still think it's to early for that kind of contract. why spend 5-6 years worth of cap when we can bridge him and see who he really is?

the way everyone on this board wants to hand out long term contracts on every young kid who has one decent 20 goal season is absurd....

I understand the players and agents asking...but if you guys were Chevy? We'd probably still be paying Burmistrov's contract! :laugh::laugh:
Jets have benefited greatly by investing in top young players early (coming out of their ELC) with long-term deals that turned into great value for the Jets... Scheifele, Ehlers and Hellebuyck (around 6M) and Connor (around 7M).

The question isn't whether a long-term deal on a core player is good management, it's assessing whether Perfetti is going to be a core top-6 forward. I don't think Burmistrov is a good comparison for Perfetti, to be honest.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I still think it's to early for that kind of contract. why spend 5-6 years worth of cap when we can bridge him and see who he really is?

the way everyone on this board wants to hand out long term contracts on every young kid who has one decent 20 goal season is absurd....

I understand the players and agents asking...but if you guys were Chevy? We'd probably still be paying Burmistrov's contract! :laugh::laugh:
When dealing with players at his age, I'd rather be a year early than a couple years late. projections have him in the 5m long-term range right now, which isn't absurdly high compared to a bridge in the 3.5-4m range (using Pinto as a comparable). so if possible, for 1.5-1m more lock him up long-term and avoid possibly paying far more later

he's a career high of 38 pts (71 gp) and avg of 0.54 ppg, do you think it's inconceivable he can be a 50ish pt player as soon as next year. he'd be worth that 5M pretty fast with hopefully room to improve. delaying it and him breaking out + being closer to UFA just gets far more expensive. I can't see him being a terrible pt producer given he will be a top-6er on this team with good players but that's just my view. even if he stagnates at 40ish pts, i don't think that's terrible value at 5M (we've certainly had way worse), & he's young enough to consider he can improve down the road.

now if he wants 6.5 7M+ or something, ok different discussion. but i don't think that's really on the table. I think there's a better % chance of him being a 50ish+ pt player next year, rather than a ~35-40 pt player , & perhaps even a larger role given 3 top-6ers are UFAs within 2 years (ehlers, connor, names possibly)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When dealing with players at his age, I'd rather be a year early than a couple years late. projections have him in the 5m long-term range right now, which isn't absurdly high compared to a bridge in the 3.5-4m range (using Pinto as a comparable). so if possible, for 1.5-1m more lock him up long-term and avoid possibly paying far more later

he's a career high of 38 pts (71 gp) and avg of 0.54 ppg, do you think it's inconceivable he can be a 50ish pt player as soon as next year. he'd be worth that 5M pretty fast with hopefully room to improve. delaying it and him breaking out + being closer to UFA just gets far more expensive. I can't see him being a terrible pt producer given he will be a top-6er on this team with good players but that's just my view. even if he stagnates at 40ish pts, i don't think that's terrible value at 5M (we've certainly had way worse), & he's young enough to consider he can improve down the road.

now if he wants 6.5 7M+ or something, ok different discussion. but i don't think that's really on the table. I think there's a better % chance of him being a 50ish+ pt player next year, rather than a ~35-40 pt player , & perhaps even a larger role given 3 top-6ers are UFAs within 2 years (ehlers, connor, names possibly)

I don't think he signs long term for 5 mil. I don't think 6.5 is on the table either. Long term would be somewhere in between. Like, say, 6 mil. What would you think of that?

I don't think a career avg ppg is very meaningful in a career of 140 games. I expect more than that from him.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think he signs long term for 5 mil. I don't think 6.5 is on the table either. Long term would be somewhere in between. Like, say, 6 mil. What would you think of that?

I don't think a career avg ppg is very meaningful in a career of 140 games. I expect more than that from him.
Don't know what to tell you If the games he's actually played have no meaning in what he's gonna get paid.

In a 10+ year career sure 140 games is a low %. but this is a contract signing which the games he has played play a part (along with potential)

Reactions: lanky

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd like to see 5 years X $5.5 million AAV. I think that puts him under Ehlers last contract who had considerably better number after 3 NHL seasons. Though with a smaller Cap to work with.

It would also extend him beyond any player here other than Scheif and Helly, with an uncertain future looming for this franchise.

The bridge with KO usually tickets a player out by the end of their 7 years, or a year sooner, if you leverage hard enough.

His UFA year if bridged is also the same as our top d pairing, so maybe Chevy doesn't look beyond that point now with anyone who is still uncertain in their role. Though I suspect Samberg gets a good long term contract during the season, especially if he plays like he did last season.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I'd like to see 5 years X $5.5 million AAV. I think that puts him under Ehlers last contract who had considerably better number after 3 NHL seasons. Though with a smaller Cap to work with.

It would also extend him beyond any player here other than Scheif and Helly, with an uncertain future looming for this franchise.

The bridge with KO usually tickets a player out by the end of their 7 years, or a year sooner, if you leverage hard enough.

His UFA year if bridged is also the same as our top d pairing, so maybe Chevy doesn't look beyond that point now with anyone who is still uncertain in their role. Though I suspect Samberg gets a good long term contract during the season, especially if he plays like he did last season.
I don't think he's worth more than Lundell.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see 5 years X $5.5 million AAV. I think that puts him under. Ehlers last contract who had considerably better number after 3 NHL seasons Though with a smaller Cap to work with.

The sad thing is, Ehlers' 2nd season in the league was his best. It wouldn't be hard to make an argument that his 2 best years were his 2nd and 3rd years when he was on his ELC contract.

If Perfetti gets 5 years, that is only buying one year of free agency. Give him a 2 year bridge or sign him for 7 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The issue us fly signed when the cap was much lower. An equivalent deal would be around 6.8 million aav today. Most have pegged Cole around 6 to 6.25 on a 6 to 7 year term which would be fair imo.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't know what to tell you If the games he's actually played have no meaning in what he's gonna get paid.

In a 10+ year career sure 140 games is a low %. but this is a contract signing which the games he has played play a part (along with potential)

I didn't say the games he's played have no meaning. Come on.

Focusing on that statistic though is misleading. If that is the way the negotiations go then it is simple. He will sign a bridge.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well, Jarvis just signed an 8 year 63..2 million contract.
Wonder what range that puts Lukas Raymond in, who has better numbers.

Perfetti's contract AAV should be somewhere slightly lower than Lundell's you would think, maybe even lower than Dawson Mercer's when he gets signed, if you go by the numbers.

Maybe it's a bridge number the two sides are working on, if Perfetti wants more leverage down the road.

Looking back at that 2020 draft it was hard to miss in the 1st round.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Jets have benefited greatly by investing in top young players early (coming out of their ELC) with long-term deals that turned into great value for the Jets... Scheifele, Ehlers and Hellebuyck (around 6M) and Connor (around 7M).

The question isn't whether a long-term deal on a core player is good management, it's assessing whether Perfetti is going to be a core top-6 forward. I don't think Burmistrov is a good comparison for Perfetti, to be honest.
i don’t think Burmistrov is a comparison…

but a TON of people on this very board THOUGHT HE WAS.

wanted him used more, wanted him extended, believed he was legitimate top 6 NHL forward and “cried” when he left.

and sure Schief etc were worth extending…. but there are lots of others. People demanded guys like Bogo get 5-6 year deals…and were mad we didn’t extend or sign…

i’d like to see more than what he’s shown before i give him guaranteed six years of cap space.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Perfetti's contract AAV should be somewhere slightly lower than Lundell's you would think, maybe even lower than Dawson Mercer's when he gets signed, if you go by the numbers.

Maybe it's a bridge number the two sides are working on, if Perfetti wants more leverage down the road.

Perfetti has better numbers then Lundell and Lundell is in a tax free state which makes a difference.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Perfetti has better numbers then Lundell and Lundell is in a tax free state which makes a difference.
Slighty better. I think you could make the Winnipeg argument having a little more incentive though in dollars. Maybe he gets Ehlers contract. Seems like a better risk at this stage.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
EvolvingHockey who are usually quite accurate had this for him prior to summer.

View attachment 904286

AavcoCup on twitter put together a previous timing of first rd players signing post elc. Really Stepping out on a limb here.... But think it should be coming V so :laugh:

View attachment 904288

Lol go re read the post trail including the OP I responded to.

Anyway I've reached my ceiling of back-and-forth posts with you, I'll let you toil away in your stupidity on your own.
There's no way Perfetti signs long terrm at that AAV that's Lowry's numbers now, and Lowry's numbers in his next contract will probably be closer to 5, with the Cap going up... you would think that Cole is going to be a 60 point player sooner or later. I just hope the Jets don't grind him like they did Copp where the player's value is reduced to the point they have no interest in re-signing. Because I think the window for long term success for Perfetti is higher than Ehlers in a long term investment. It's kind of a shame the Jets wasted his 19 year old season in the NHL only to have him get injured, but there was nobody in the pipeline at that time. Especially with Vesalainen struggling to be a 3rd line player.

I think that's a big reason why the Jets drafted forward heavy after 2020.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

If you go by the numbers Cole should get more than Mercer by a lot. More points in less games, with less TOI per game with better underlying statistics basically across the board last year.

Cole - 71GP - 38 points, 964 mins total
Dawson - 82 GP - 33 points, 1411 mins total (50% total time on ice more and less points) what would Cole have had he played 447 mins more ??

At 5 on 5
Cole - CF% 53.81
Dawson - CF% 49.34

Cole - SF% 56.24
Dawson - SF% 47.74

Cole - GF% 61.90
Dawson - GF% 41.94

Cole - xGF% 54.10
Dawson - xGF% 49.65

I could go on but you get the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfish

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If you go by the numbers Cole should get more than Mercer by a lot. More points in less games, with less TOI per game with better underlying statistics basically across the board last year.

Cole - 71GP - 38 points, 964 mins total
Dawson - 82 GP - 33 points, 1411 mins total (50% total time on ice more and less points) what would Cole have had he played 447 mins more ??

At 5 on 5
Cole - CF% 53.81
Dawson - CF% 49.34

Cole - SF% 56.24
Dawson - SF% 47.74

Cole - GF% 61.90
Dawson - GF% 41.94

Cole - xGF% 54.10
Dawson - xGF% 49.65

I could go on but you get the point.
I'd say that's one way to look at it. But over the course of their ELC Mercer hasn't missed a game yet, has 64 goals and 131 points plus 7 playoff points in 12 games. Corsi and xG are two stats that are heavily influenced by zone starts so I'd have to look deeper into that.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There's no way Perfetti signs long terrm at that AAV that's Lowry's numbers now, and Lowry's numbers in his next contract will probably be closer to 5, with the Cap going up... you would think that Cole is going to be a 60 point player sooner or later. I just hope the Jets don't grind him like they did Copp where the player's value is reduced to the point they have no interest in re-signing. Because I think the window for long term success for Perfetti is higher than Ehlers in a long term investment. It's kind of a shame the Jets wasted his 19 year old season in the NHL only to have him get injured, but there was nobody in the pipeline at that time. Especially with Vesalainen struggling to be a 3rd line player.

do not think you read it correctly.
Perfetti 2 or 3 year deal would be 3M or 3.4M. lowry is 3.25m now on a 5 year deal as a UFA. Perfetti's long term would be in the 5's according to their methodology. i think a 5ishM deal on a 6 year deal for him is fair. a bridge deal seems pretty straight forward imo given his stats/nhl recent comparable

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

The fact you think the Jets did something wrong with Copp completely negates you from being credible. I'm sorry. The Jets were 100% in the right and I don't see how that is even debatable. Would you honestly take copp at his aav for free right now? That's insane.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
do not think you read it correctly.
Perfetti 2 or 3 year deal would be 3M or 3.4M. lowry is 3.25m now on a 5 year deal as a UFA. Perfetti's long term would be in the 5's according to their methodology. i think a 5ishM deal on a 6 year deal for him is fair. a bridge deal seems pretty straight forward imo given his stats/nhl recent comparable
I think you are about right and that includes the Winnipeg tax.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The fact you think the Jets did something wrong with Copp completely negates you from being credible. I'm sorry. The Jets were 100% in the right and I don't see how that is even debatable. Would you honestly take copp at his aav for free right now? That's insane.
Do you remember when Copp had his nice 25 point season in 69 games,, higher than Lowry or Roslovic, +20 and a 5 point playoff series against St. Louis, while Ehlers had nothing but 0s and a - in that series? Went to arbitration and the Jets absolutely lowballed him, I think to get back at KO for forcing Trouba out of here. Just like they sent Copp to the minors to start the year Trouba held out. But that was the time to sign him long term. To the same kind of contract that the Jets just gave Nino. Fans will turn on Copper because they got shiny new toys out of him, and he got paid more than he was worth as a UFA. But he was definitely a good player here that Chevy lowballed, and I stand by that statement, I hope Chevy doesn't try to lowball Perfetti to the point where he takes the easy route out, because he isn't valued. Your opinion of my opinion is meaningless, thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad