Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not sure if it smells funny as Perfetti hasn't missed any real time yet. We also don't know the full range of details. I also wonder if Chevy has a hard dollar amount he will go to, because he may need/want the money for another move down the line.
No, he hasn't missed much - I'm just not sure why this isn't done.
Sure - there could be other variables - who knows? My comments are more directed to the point of this contract and how potentially important it is.

We have a top 10 pic playing top 6 minutes and we can't get a bridge done at the money being thrown around? I don't see why he hasn't put this one to bed. That's the part IMO, that smells.

And I'll admit, I'm going off a lot of the comments from those that feel this player is a key cog in the future -not necessarily my own thoughts on his worth or perceived stature on this club, at this time or down the road.

So TBH, I don't see this as another Chevy being Chevy with the "grind all contracts" and save a few bucks. I'm tossing out the idea that maybe they don't see the value and are pushing for less even on a short bridge that, when you consider the perceived pedigree, has caught me off guard. For many, it appears to be more about the Chevy grind status quo - so I'll leave it at that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even after the grinding I feel most Chevy contracts are market price with a slight plus for a Winnipeg tax. The grind seems necessary to me.

For Perfetti, if the alleged gap is between $3.1m and $3.75m, that is a significant gap. I don't think people, who are asking for Chevy to cave understand that's over 20% more that Perfetti wants with his silly comparable. That's not just not something that should just be handed over because Perfetti might get his feelings hurt. How about Perfetti and his team get real and stop comparing him to players who play different positions and clearly took advantage of a GM well known for being weak.

I mean you can say his comp is silly, but it is the most recent contract inked to a player with nearly the same numbers. It isn't any more silly then what I'm sure his camp thinks are some of the Jets comps that they are using.

Every contract that is inked is part of setting the market. You can't just pick and choose the ones you don't like and ommit them. Yes we know that there are dumb GMs out there that sign bad deals but you can't just ignore them cause you think they are bad.

In the end in this negotiation Chevy has the leverage so the deal will be closer to the Jets offer whereas it would be closer to Cole's ask if he had arb rights.

If it's a bridge it will likely come in around 3.3 to 3.4 million.

Chevy isn't going to want to let Cole leave the negotiation sour with the org. He will give some once KO comes off his ask.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure - there could be other variables - who knows? My comments are more directed to the point of this contract and how potentially important it is.

We have a top 10 pic playing top 6 minutes and we can't get a bridge done at the money being thrown around? I don't see why he hasn't put this one to bed. That's the part IMO, that smells.

And I'll admit, I'm going off a lot of the comments from those that feel this player is a key cog in the future -not necessarily my own thoughts on his worth or perceived stature on this club, at this time or down the road.

So TBH, I don't see this as another Chevy being Chevy with the "grind all contracts" and save a few bucks. I'm tossing out the idea that maybe they don't see the value and are pushing for less even on a short bridge that, when you consider the perceived pedigree, has caught me off guard. For many, it appears to be more about the Chevy grind status quo - so I'll leave it at that.

The issue is that I imagine both sides are having an incredibly hard time with the valuation based on what happened the back half of last year. None of the other high prominent young players were sent to the PB down the stretch before their contract was up. Much easier to agree to the value of a player who was consistently in the top 6 and their numbers were what they were.

Cole paced just shy of 55 points if you just isolate his top 6 minutes. When you factor in the fourth line and PB usage his pace went to 44 points on the year as a whole.

So how do you get the two sides to easily agree on a value when the back half really muddies the water.

I think that is the issue. Chevy can't set a precident by ignoring the total numbers even if he believes Cole is the roughly 50 to 55 point caliber player he showed through the 120 or so games he's played in the top 6 and I'm sure Cole's agent is fighting to minimize the impact of the 20 or so games he was on the fourth line.

A long term deal would be different imo as I'm sure Chevy would be more open to paying for 60 point potential. But on a short term deal he's likely trying hard for it to be based on the total value Cole has shown.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

both sides are grinding & holding their ground to get what they want. if perfetti had arb rights, this would've been settled already either in court or just prior. a few 100k USD is a big deal from a player coming off ELCs POV but the Jets don't want to just give it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad