Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
This is taking way too long if it's a bridge. Perfetti is a decent player but if Overcharge is asking for the moon for him then this could get ugly. I don't want Chevy to cave in and overpay for a player that might never be more than a 40 point winger.

Reactions: ekotyluk

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is taking way too long if it's a bridge. Perfetti is a decent player but if Overcharge is asking for the moon for him then this could get ugly. I don't want Chevy to cave in and overpay for a player that might never be more than a 40 point winger.

We know what he's asking for on a bridge 2 years at $3.75 per. The same as what Pinto inked earlier this summer. Cole has pretty much the same numbers as Pinto.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't disagree with this and imo COVID threw a big wrench into things as well.

I think we're some disagree is in the development methods used. I've said that he's a year behind Jarvis in development due to his injuries.

Jarvis was kept in the top 6 to work through his slump the year before last. Cole got the heavy handed approach by his coach. We Shall see this year if that approach bears fruit like how the carrot approach did with Jarvis.
I don't think that there's a right or wrong way to deal with with a young player going cold. Different kids will respond to different approaches, but overall today I think the carrot is more more called for than the stick

Reactions: Huffer

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh I didn't know that. So hang up must be for a $$$ figure for long term contract?

Or the Jets just don't want to give him that much on a bridge. His ask isn't unreasonable based on the market.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to figure out a long term deal that fits within the Jets remaining $6.6 million in cap space.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Or the Jets just don't want to give him that much on a bridge. His ask isn't unreasonable based on the market.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to figure out a long term deal that fits within the Jets remaining $6.6 million in cap space.
Maybe that's why Arniel has spoken about carrying 22 instead of 23 this year?

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
That's what I'm hoping.

Yep. I think it's pretty clearly a decision between longer-term and bridge with term perhaps factoring into a bridge deal also, since IIRC CP is under team control for 5 seasons (2029). Maybe a 3-year deal along the lines of Mercer's?

One of the hazards of dragging out a deal for management is comparables signing for more rather than less the original ask, I suppose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe that's why Arniel has spoken about carrying 22 instead of 23 this year?

Yeah, that is what some of us have been speculating about. It makes little sense to carry a smaller roster and cite cap reasons for it if the plan is to bridge Cole. We'd still have $3 million in cap space with a 23 man roster in such a scenario.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I personally would have sat Cole for one or two games and put him right back in the top 6 to see if a mental reset would have gotten him back on track.

Playing him in a role he's not suited for on the fourth imo prolonged the slump as he lost more confidence.

The point is could they have snapped his slump earlier and then not needed to go out and waste assets on a non factor vet in Toffoli.

Also the plan wasn't to put Cole back in the top 6. Our coach was forced into it due to a 6 game lossing streak where his trusted vets shit the bed.

Something that seems to me to get missed in the discussion of Cole's slump is that he was still playing well through the first 11 games of it. That is not something that can be supported by his scoring numbers, obviously. He was creating chances and getting chances but the puck was just not going in. He also continued to play well defensively which was, I believe, supported by the data.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Those are all reasonable viewpoints

There is no way to prove that what wasn't done would have worked better. There is also no way to prove that Cole's scoring when he was reinstated proved that what was done worked. I just hope there are no negative side effects.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Something that seems to me to get missed in the discussion of Cole's slump is that he was still playing well through the first 11 games of it. That is not something that can be supported by his scoring numbers, obviously. He was creating chances and getting chances but the puck was just not going in. He also continued to play well defensively which was, I believe, supported by the data.
As I stated, his GF% was 17% during that time

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think that there's a right or wrong way to deal with with a young player going cold. Different kids will respond to different approaches, but overall today I think the carrot is more more called for than the stick

Confidence is such a huge factor in success at many things. Putting a player in a position to succeed is going to work more often than the stick. Sometimes an attitude adjustment is required and in those cases the stick is more likely to be effective.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That is incorrect. The two combos he played with the most during his slump in the top 6 sported a 60 GF% (Him with Monohan and Ehlers) and a 50 XGF (0 gf vs 0 ga) with Monohan and Vilardi. I think it would have been impossible for him to been on the ice with whatever half line combos he played with for the 0 GF and 13 GA he would have needed to be at a 17% GF.

He was a 38 GF% over that slump in the top 6. Which just so happens to not be all that different then what our top line posted for the entire year. It amounted to being on the ice for a whopping 2 more goals scored against then for which isn't bad considering they were rocking a very low on ice shooting percentage.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Do we know that is his ask? We can look at Pinto and conclude it is the right number but I don't recall hearing that that is the ask.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

As I stated, it doesn't show in the numbers but he was still playing well. Disagree if you wish but coming back with numbers is a not the way to do that since I am talking about what was not in the numbers.

I suppose that if I am correct it would show in raw Corsi. I don't know if it does or not.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
A six or seven year deal anywhere between 6M and 7M will turn out really great for the Jets.
$7m is nuts. I’d laugh Overcharge out of the building if I was Chevy. I look at Lundell getting 4x $5m to cover his RFA years. Let’s pretend that Cole is as good and is a centre, neither of which he is, you want to pay $11m for Cole’s 2 Or 3 UFA years? Holy shit!

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad