Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To date Chevy has never let a significant payer walk to free agency. He has either signed them or traded them before they could walk. Since nothing has happened yet with Ehlers I think it is more and more likely he eventually gets signed. Either that or there is a potential trade out there that still needs a piece or 2 to fall into place.

I remember both Ladd and Buff entering the last year of their deals without a new contract. That year if I recall correctly Chevy and Ladd couldn’t settle on a price so he was moved at the deadline whereas Chevy was able to get a deal done with Buff on February 8th. That was a very fortunate turn of events for us.

Other guys that didn’t have deals done in early July that list is longer. I think it goes as far back as Toby (right at the end of July in 2012), Bogo (July 29th), Kane (September 15th), Wheeler September 4th, Scheifele and Helle deals got done October 9th last year.

“IF” Nik wants to stay and the Jets can come to terms I assume we hear of a new deal this Tuesday (July 30th) or if not probably September. If no deal is there to be had then I prey Chevy trades him like Copp and Ladd got moved at the Deadline (I realize both those trades happened in non playoff years). I would not use Nik as an own rental and I would hope to hell we got a Copp or Ladd level return at the TD.

We need to keep finding the balance between today and tomorrow and that is Chevy’s job.

As for Cole I am pretty open to either bridge or term.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't have any answers Mort. It comes down to value...and for True North the value/profit comes from playoff appearances...For all we know Chevy may have taken offers at the draft, didn't hear what he liked, talked to his coach and said play on.

There's a chance he re-signs, there's an overlap with KC's contract and you would think only 1 of the 2 get signed to the next term ..Then there is Perfetti's contract structure to consider. And the development of prospects...if Brad Lambert makes the team, can he learn skills from Ehlers that help him in the NHL...I think so. Chibrikov too... I like having these guys going into their UFA season because we tend to get good performances out of them, as they know the work reaps the rewards. Next season would be a great time for a career year for Ehlers, and his value. I think he has something to prove, but he's been maligned for perimeter play at times, and it will be interesting to see how Arniel coaches him.

Since it's a Perfetti thread, is Marchenko's contract a good bridge comparable...if the Jets do sign Perfetti long term, does that take Ehlers out of the equation for the future?

Yes, it comes down to value. Even if Jets are content just to make the PO, that value would be effing horrible. They would be keeping a player who might help them get into the PO 1 time instead of getting a player who might help them get into the PO multiple times, even though he would probably be a lesser player.

I'm not sure of Cole's bargaining power but I would expect a 2 year bridge. My guess would be in the 3.25-3.5 mil range.

I don't think Cole's contract would have that direct an effect on Ehlers. Jets have quite a bit of cap coming free and the cap is expected to rise. Jets will have quite a bit of flexibility. Ehlers contract depends on whether the 2 parties want each other.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm not sure of Cole's bargaining power but I would expect a 2 year bridge. My guess would be in the 3.25-3.5 mil range.

I don't think Cole's contract would have that direct an effect on Ehlers. Jets have quite a bit of cap coming free and the cap is expected to rise. Jets will have quite a bit of flexibility. Ehlers contract depends on whether the 2 parties want each other.
I think a bridge will be much closer to 4m.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kent Johnston - 130gp, 59 points, 1.8M x 3

Cole Perfetti - 140gp, 75 points, ???

Johnson is also coming off a real awful year where he put up 16 points and allegedly wasn't in shape for camp. Probably not a comp here. His team who has 67 points in 140 games is a better one as him and Cole had similar years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
3 year seems good to me. Extend him (or trade him) after year 2; 2 years from UFA. Keeps him a Jet until 33 then that's enough.
What if he doesn't want to extend?
A 3 year deal takes him to within 1 year of becoming an UFA.
Like I said, that's something Buffalo would do.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes, it comes down to value. Even if Jets are content just to make the PO, that value would be effing horrible. They would be keeping a player who might help them get into the PO 1 time instead of getting a player who might help them get into the PO multiple times, even though he would probably be a lesser player.

How is making the playoffs horrible? Ever? I understand what you are saying but let's say the Dubois trade has scared off other GMs. And there isn't an immediate value back in any potential Ehlers trade but rather a prospective value. Can Chevy legitimately tell his leaders we are going to take a step back for the future...We know Scheif and Helle didn't sign for the future, they are in their prime. The captain is in his prime, two years from UFA, do you tell him this one we might take a step back to win in the future? Seems like a way to push a leader out the door.

Chevy's in a tough spot...He has to think playoffs after last season...The only players he has lost from the team that started last year's successful run, competing for tops in the league, are Dillon and Schmidt...hardly cornerstones. Teams in front didn't improve, teams behind did. Arniel is the biggest change for the Jets.

A growth year from Perfetti will make people forget about Monahan and that's in the realm of possibility. Not to mention Lambert possibly having an impact. Defense is quicker and potentially just as physical than last season.

I'm actually quite interested to see how a veteran Oilers team, with only 3 forwards and 3 defensemen under 30, matches up against a Jets team that has only 5 forwards over 30, and 3 defensemen.

Reactions: Buffdog

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What if he doesn't want to extend?
A 3 year deal takes him to within 1 year of becoming an UFA.
Like I said, that's something Buffalo would do.
I said it. You trade him after year two if he won't sign an extension. 2 years left of control at that point. Should be a good return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad