Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well that turn over by Red in the high White zone shows just where Perfetti's skating is...

Jack Quinn was 3 strides behind Perfetti at the White blue line on the back check...

By one stride over the Red blue line...

Was 1 stride behind...

Or perhaps Per' was at the end of the shift... but I am pretty sure Quinn was at the end of his shift...

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like his ability to get to loose pucks quickly in the offensive end. As he continues to get back into a groove he will make a lot more happen.

He is dangerous. Loved how he read the play when Drysdale got the puck alone and Cole just took off and got behind the defender and Drysdale hit him with the stretch pass to set him free.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
A few notes on Cole from tonights game.

His passing and vision was second to none.

There were several moments where he would get the puck and make a pass before I even realized what I just witnessed.

Like a Magician using sleight of hand, one second the puck was in his possession, and the next second the puck was off his stick and over to a player in a high scoring opportunity area. Meanwhile, I was still watching Perfetti (thinking he still had the puck).

That’s a powerful skill and talent to have. Especially if we can get him together with Laine.

All too often, the opposition can easily anticipate the pass to Laine (on the back door), but with a Playmaker like Perfetti I can see Laine scoring so much more from the one timer zone.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018

There were several moments where he would get the puck and make a pass before I even realized what I just witnessed.

Like a Magician using sleight of hand, one second the puck was in his possession, and the next second the puck was off his stick and over to a player in a high scoring opportunity area. Meanwhile, I was still watching Perfetti (thinking he still had the puck).

That’s a powerful skill and talent to have. Especially if we can get him together with Laine.

All too often, the opposition can easily anticipate the pass to Laine (on the back door), but with a Playmaker like Perfetti I can see Laine scoring so much more from the one timer zone.
For this reason, I really dont think a better player could have fallen into our lap at a more opportune time and filling a much needed position/role for Laine and the Team. Assuming Laine stays (knock on wood), this kid is going to get a lot of Apples. Just wow... Time will tell.

Last edited:

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Someone on twitter who does advanced stats and charting for a McGill university hockey team charted the zone entries and exits for Team Canada Red in this game:

Perfetti led the team in most attempted total and most successful controlled zone entries + exits combined, and was the only player on the team to control half or more of both his attempted zone entries and exits.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

Ah the Coles notes.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Someone on twitter who does advanced stats and charting for a McGill university hockey team charted the zone entries and exits for Team Canada Red in this game:

Perfetti led the team in most attempted total and most successful controlled zone entries + exits combined, and was the only player on the team to control half or more of both his attempted zone entries and exits.

Small sample size for advanced stats but with that disclaimer the 21 attempts stands out like a sore thumb (in a good way) vs his fellow forwards. He likes taking charge in both exiting and entering the zone. Even in a scrambly disjointed first game by both teams he showed a confidence especially as the game wore on that he was the driver.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

the biggest problem i see is all of us getting hard-ons for Cole during training camp and not wanting him cut

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
the biggest problem i see is all of us getting hard-ons for Cole during training camp and not wanting him cut

yea I can see that being an issue. The only saving grace is for this season at least we don’t need another top 9 centre or left wing.

I am not a fan of 18 year olds going strait into the NHL. I think it hurt Bogosian, I know it hurt Burmi, Laine’s shot was ready for the NHL but I wonder if the rest of his game might have benefited by one more season in Finland?

There are rare exceptions like Auston Matthews but on balance I am a staunch advocate that one more development season never hurts.

The only difference with Perfetti is he has had an 8 month off season to dedicate to working on his body and skating and he is almost 19 so the situation is somewhat unprecedented?

I would prefer he plays one more season in the OHL though but a 9 game look in the NHL might be called for.

edit: the only thing I would regret by sending him down is I would love Paul Stastny to mentor him. That to me is the idea person for Kyle to learn from stylistically and professionally.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
yea I can see that being an issue. The only saving grace is for this season at least we don’t need another top 9 centre or left wing.

I am not a fan of 18 year olds going strait into the NHL. I think it hurt Bogosian, I know it hurt Burmi, Laine’s shot was ready for the NHL but I wonder if the rest of his game might have benefited by one more season in Finland?

There are rare exceptions like Auston Matthews but on balance I am a staunch advocate that one more development season never hurts.

The only difference with Perfetti is he has had an 8 month off season to dedicate to working on his body and skating and he is almost 19 so the situation is somewhat unprecedented?

I would prefer he plays one more season in the OHL though but a 9 game look in the NHL might be called for.

edit: the only thing I would regret by sending him down is I would love Paul Stastny to mentor him. That to me is the idea person for Kyle to learn from stylistically and professionally.
With Perfetti I'm happy to take a wait and see approach and enjoy watching him develop. Having such a high end prospect on Canada to cheer for will be a lot of fun. The WJC should give us a good idea on how close he is to jumping to the NHL. If he ends up being one of the drivers and top point getters he will come to camp on a wave of confidence. After that we will see how he performs against NHL players and we can all judge from there. Either way it was a great turn of events that such a skilled prospect dropped to us at #10.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think no matter what he gets a good month practicing with the big team inbetween the end of the WJC and the start of the OHL season. I would hope he would be able to soak up a lot in that time frame.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I like that he likes to gain the zone with control. We need more of that on the NHL roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad