Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Another thing to watch is if Caufield can maintain or increase his assist total (including primary assists) from last season. Although his goal scoring wasn’t up to his standards from previous seasons he really increased his primary assist total. Prior to the 2023-24 season he had 15 primary assists in 123 games (2 in 46 games in the 2022-23 season). Last season he had 23 in 82 games.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Another thing to watch is if Caufield can maintain or increase his assist total (including primary assists) from last season. Although his goal scoring wasn’t up to his standards from previous seasons he really increased his primary assist total. Prior to the 2023-24 season he had 15 primary assists in 123 games (2 in 46 games in the 2022-23 season). Last season he had 23 in 82 games.
The silver lining to him losing his shot is he seemed to pass off a little more and had some success with it.

I still want to see him shoot over 30. At the end of the day his value is in his goals. But the passing was a nice bonus.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Proud daddy of the Maple Leafs

gettyimages-2176969419-612x612.jpg

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't see why he wouldn't be able to keep up his passing game, despite fewer goals last season he still increased his shots per game. So he wasn't passing more at the expense of his shooting which is a good sign.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
- Looks great in #13
- The goal tonight was reminiscent of his 'old' self. Happy to see him rip one in his office.
- He was the best guy on his line tonight. I like that he's continuing to show he can create on his own and contribute beyond goals.
He’s gonna make people look foolish for treating him like an afterthought with all the shiny new toys.

It’s insane how people seem to forget his amazing pedigree and how ecstatic we were to have him fall in our laps.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s gonna make people look foolish for treating him like an afterthought with all the shiny new toys.

It’s insane how people seem to forget his amazing pedigree and how ecstatic we were to have him fall in our laps.
Nice game from him last night.

Let's see on this. Last year I thought he was a solid 40 plus goal guy but it didn't work out that way. The shoulder's a huge variable.

Nice goal last night but we'll know he's okay when he starts scoring goals from further out. When that happens we'll know his shot is back. It all comes down to health with him. He continues to rack up shots which is a great sign.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Took a look. 3 goals in his first 4 games last year. Four in his first seven... we all know how that worked out.

Great start and I'm hopeful. But let's see how he does over the long haul this year.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Took a look. 3 goals in his first 4 games last year. Four in his first seven... we all know how that worked out.

Great start and I'm hopeful. But let's see how he does over the long haul this year.
He wasn’t playing like he is now, last year. He had goals in OT and wasn’t looking like quite himself, it was easy to see in the first few games.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He wasn’t playing like he is now, last year. He had goals in OT and wasn’t looking like quite himself, it was easy to see in the first few games.
He played pretty consistently. Pucks just didn't go in.

His shot numbers were consistent all year long. It's not like he suddenly turned it on at a later date.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He played pretty consistently. Pucks just didn't go in.

His shot numbers were consistent all year long. It's not like he suddenly turned it on at a later date.
Caufield's a complimentary player (call it a finisher if you will). His goal tonight was thanks to Guhle's smarts. His goals last night was thanks to a magnificent pass by Slaf.

Last year he was post-surgery and other teams focused on the 1st line cause we didn't have a 2nd C. Took half a season for his RW to get going.

If his linemates and dmen can make it happen, he'll score his fair share of goals.

Not unlike Ovechkin, who waits standing still for a pass to score.

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
Caufield's a complimentary player (call it a finisher if you will). His goal tonight was thanks to Guhle's smarts. His goals last night was thanks to a magnificent pass by Slaf.

Last year he was post-surgery and other teams focused on the 1st line cause we didn't have a 2nd C. Took half a season for his RW to get going.

If his linemates and dmen can make it happen, he'll score his fair share of goals.

That tremendous pass from Slaf, takes a tremendous player to receive and then launch it top shelf. Let's not underestimate that.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Wait, just want to be clear...

Are you trying to argue that Ovechkin is a "complimentary" player?

Are you talking for his career, or just this season, at 40years old?

For real? This is a serious take? Or did I miss something :dunno:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
CC has 10 goals in his last 11 games. His 50 goalscoring form seems to be back.

Whatever bro , everybody gets mad when I talk about the 50 goal poll lmao , also 48 in 82 over 2 seasons lol talk about cherry picking . Like seriously what kind of cherry picked stat is that? Just admit the fefans got excited and thought we would have a 50 goal scorer , talk about delusional.

Me , a scholar , would never fall to that type of fefan trap. Can cole score 50 ? Sure probably one day , scoring is going up so maybe , am I gonna go out and say he is just because he plays for my team? Certainly not.

It's not cherry picking as the starting date of the sequence is MSL's first game and the end of the sequence is when he had his shoulder surgery.

It was to be expected that he'd take time to grt his shot back to norm considering the injury.

50 is entirely feasable. 40 is very probable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I think it’s overstating it to say he’s just a complimentary player but I get what you’re saying. He generates a lot of offense himself and is great at stealing pucks. His size limits what he can do and he’s somewhat one dimensional but if he’s a complimentary player he’s a very high end one.

Ovechkin was in no shape or form a complimentary player. He was extremely physical and one of the best players to ever step on the ice.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That tremendous pass from Slaf, takes a tremendous player to receive and then launch it top shelf. Let's not underestimate that.
Goalscoring is the single most important skill a player can have. Finishers who can consistently put up high goal totals are among the most valuable players in the league.

I thought Cc would reach that last year but I was wrong. Hopefully he gets healthy and does it soon. We badly need a guy who can put 40-50 in the net every year.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Are you talking for his career, or just this season, at 40years old?
Pretty sure you can figure that one out.
Ovechkin doesn't forecheck?
Not really, no. Hasn't in years. I mean, they all do, but he does less than the average player.
Ovechkin was in no shape or form a complimentary player. He was extremely physical and one of the best players to ever step on the ice.
One of the greatest goal scorers yes obviously, but overall players I don't think so, personally. I mean, if we're talking top 50 or top 100 maybe, but to me he isn't such a well-rounded player.

Go back 20 years, I still take Crosby before Ovechkin any day of the week to build my team around.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad