PTO: [COL] Jack Johnson signs PTO with the Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Do people not have eyes anymore? Are they scouting with a pillow case over their head? I was told JJ was awful before he suited up for the Rangers. I knew it going in. But I wasn't prepared. It was bad. Sooo bad. The only reason I bring that guy into camp is to give the young forward someone to tool on and the to show the young Dmen "kid, this clown has been in this league for 10 plus years. You can do this."

I mean he is awful.
But his competition is also awful. Probably Gilbert/McKeown for the #8 spot.

The Avs have EJ and Murray (if one of them is healthy come playoff time, that would be a +) as well as almost rookie Byram who missed a ton of games last year as well pencilled into their top6. There might be an opportunity for him if things go wrong for the Avs down the line.

You could probably do worse than JJ if you are forced to ice your 8th best Dman.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
#8 at minimum wage playing 20-30 games why not, sure beats having a kid in the pressbox all year long

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Do people not have eyes anymore? Are they scouting with a pillow case over their head? I was told JJ was awful before he suited up for the Rangers. I knew it going in. But I wasn't prepared. It was bad. Sooo bad. The only reason I bring that guy into camp is to give the young forward someone to tool on and the to show the young Dmen "kid, this clown has been in this league for 10 plus years. You can do this."

It's not like they signed him to a multiyear deal, it's just a PTO. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Avs have a back-to-back in preseason and it's unlikely that they'd make players suit up in both games especially as the first game is on the road. The CBA mandates that teams have to dress at least eight "veteran" players in preseason, so PTO guys can be useful in scenarios like this since you can't just send your AHL team. It's unlikely Colorado would send too many of its regulars for that game, so they could send Johnson as part of the B team to help meet the requirements.

Edit: Here's a fun exercise. Colorado plays October 4th at Minnesota and at home October 5th vs. Vegas. Which rosters would you have for each game to meet the CBA rules (not sure if the games played are prorated since the last two seasons have been shortened):

There are three parts to Section 15.4, which set qualifications and lineup regulations for teams and players alike. The lengthiest of these parts (known as Section 15.4 (c)), sets qualifications for lineup composition and what qualifies a player as a veteran player. In preseason exhibition games, a team may dress a minimum of eight veterans in any game. According to Section 15.4(a), a veteran is a player is any defensemen or forward who played 30 or more games in the previous season, a goaltender who was dressed in 50 or more games or played in 30 or more games in the previous season, a team’s first-round draft pick from the most recent year’s Entry Draft, or a player who has played in 100 or more games in the NHL in their career.

Quick scan of Colorado's roster, with "veterans" in bold (plus Oskar Olausson as their most recent first rounder):

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Kadri-Compher
Jost-Newhook-
Kaut
Nichushkin-Helm-Maltsev
-------------------------------
Matteau-Bowers-O'Connor
Ranta-Foudy-Sherwood
Sikura-Wingerli-Megna
Beaucage-Henry-Olausson

Toews-Makar
Girard-E.Johnson

Byram-Murray
---------------------
MacDermid-Barron
J.Johnson-McKeown
Gilbert-MacDonald
Middleton-Clurman

Kuemper-Francouz
-------------------
Johansson-Miska-Annunen

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Coloradan anti-vaxxers in shambles.
19A995C4-7CBB-46DA-99C0-F8E5A1298D1F.jpeg

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If MacKinnon is stopping and restarting the practice every time the pass isn't right with JJ out there, they could break Herb Brooks' record for the longest hockey practice.

lol

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I mean he is awful.
But his competition is also awful. Probably Gilbert/McKeown for the #8 spot.

The Avs have EJ and Murray (if one of them is healthy come playoff time, that would be a +) as well as almost rookie Byram who missed a ton of games last year as well pencilled into their top6. There might be an opportunity for him if things go wrong for the Avs down the line.

You could probably do worse than JJ if you are forced to ice your 8th best Dman.
Listen, man. Listen to me. Everyone said the same stuff to me last year. This guy is a hand grenade in your fox hole. Caused major problems because Quinn seemed to never notice JJs blatant suckery yet wanted to hold young guys "accountable"for making mistakes young guys make. Meanwhile this guy is in his 30s making horrible play after horrible play and never missed a shift. I hope it works out for you, but good God if Sakic tries to offer this guy a contract you need a hit man in the room with one in the chamber ready to go to stop it before it gets signed.

Reactions: DarthProbert

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I wish nothing but the best for Jack. I am still sad that his dad f***ed him over and I hope that he finally puts it all together in Colorado and helps the team get to the next level

Here is to your future Jack!

200.gif
Dad only, huh? I suppose that's the way it goes these days.

"Shortly after signing his first major contract, a seven-year, $30.5 million deal with the Los Angeles Kings, Johnson granted his mother, Tina Johnson, power of attorney over all his finances."

I've only ever wished him good luck to make back some of the money he lost, so agreed on that.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Listen, man. Listen to me. Everyone said the same stuff to me last year. This guy is a hand grenade in your fox hole. Caused major problems because Quinn seemed to never notice JJs blatant suckery yet wanted to hold young guys "accountable"for making mistakes young guys make. Meanwhile this guy is in his 30s making horrible play after horrible play and never missed a shift. I hope it works out for you, but good God if Sakic tries to offer this guy a contract you need a hit man in the room with one in the chamber ready to go to stop it before it gets signed.

"literal LOL"

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I know everyone loves to make fun of JMFJ but honestly in his limited stint with NYR last season he was pretty solid for the most part, laid some big hits, and seemed like a good locker room guy. He’s not someone I’d want in my top 6 but as a 7/8D he’s fine
Lol hockey fans when a shit player goes to another team. “ I know he got a lot of hate but he’s a great teammate and a very solid #9D !”

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If any of you true Colorado fans care about your team, you send 6 dozen donuts to MacKinnons locker on the opening day of camp with the note "hey guys, breakfast is on me- Jack Johnson"

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I complained when we traded Zadorov AND Cole , but no, I was an idiot, the depth is fine and all prospects are ready for top 4 roles and the injuries that happen every playoffs never happen. Then Graves was traded and I was displeased with the remaining depth but nope, I'm a fool, Byram and Connor are competing for the Norris and can never be hurt. Then Timmins was traded and I said there better be a plan that nobody's seeing yet...well here we are. Jack Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaWa

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I complained when we traded Zadorov AND Cole , but no, I was an idiot, the depth is fine and all prospects are ready for top 4 roles and the injuries that happen every playoffs never happen. Then Graves was traded and I was displeased with the remaining depth but nope, I'm a fool, Byram and Connor are competing for the Norris and can never be hurt. Then Timmins was traded and I said there better be a plan that nobody's seeing yet...well here were. Jack Johnson.

Let's analyze this.

Old moves:
Zadorov has bounced around to Calgary, playing pretty comically bad in Chicago
Cole is Cole, he provides little except his dad appears on the Avs board from time to time

New moves:
Graves may play well in NJ, but he basically cost the Avs the Vegas series and is incredibly soft for his size
Timmins trade. The plan was Murray, who you fail to mention.

I think you're wrong on all counts. Avs D is probably the best Top 6 group in the league.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's not like they signed him to a multiyear deal, it's just a PTO. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Avs have a back-to-back in preseason and it's unlikely that they'd make players suit up in both games especially as the first game is on the road. The CBA mandates that teams have to dress at least eight "veteran" players in preseason, so PTO guys can be useful in scenarios like this since you can't just send your AHL team. It's unlikely Colorado would send too many of its regulars for that game, so they could send Johnson as part of the B team to help meet the requirements.

Edit: Here's a fun exercise. Colorado plays October 4th at Minnesota and at home October 5th vs. Vegas. Which rosters would you have for each game to meet the CBA rules (not sure if the games played are prorated since the last two seasons have been shortened):

Quick scan of Colorado's roster, with "veterans" in bold (plus Oskar Olausson as their most recent first rounder):

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Kadri-Compher
Jost-Newhook-
Kaut
Nichushkin-Helm-Maltsev
-------------------------------
Matteau-Bowers-O'Connor
Ranta-Foudy-Sherwood
Sikura-Wingerli-Megna
Beaucage-Henry-Olausson

Toews-Makar
Girard-E.Johnson

Byram-Murray
---------------------
MacDermid-Barron
J.Johnson-McKeown
Gilbert-MacDonald
Middleton-Clurman

Kuemper-Francouz
-------------------
Johansson-Miska-Annunen

Move MacDonald up. He was the 7 last year and was fantastic.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Dad only, huh? I suppose that's the way it goes these days.

"Shortly after signing his first major contract, a seven-year, $30.5 million deal with the Los Angeles Kings, Johnson granted his mother, Tina Johnson, power of attorney over all his finances."

I've only ever wished him good luck to make back some of the money he lost, so agreed on that.
Well his mom sucks too then.
They really f***ed him over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad