Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Casey Mittelstadt signs extension with the Avalanche (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
That's not true, we were all pretty happy...wait, I can't think of anything. Guess you're right.
I'm still pissed that they lost that game to St Louis after MacK scored the go ahead goal. Should have gone 16-2 or 16-3 at worst.

The Avs only have Mittelstadt because they lost the fake rigged NHL draft lottery TWICE when they had the best odds. Dropping to Byram instead of getting Hughes was a punch in the gut. And the franchise has never truly recovered.

• Haha
Reactions: AslanRH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow, crazy good deal for the Avs. WTH is CM's agent doing?
Takes him to UFA at 28 (in the year he turns 29). He likely only accrued 5 NHL seasons as he was a 31/36 split of games in the 19/20 season. So probably only 1 year accrued on his ELC.

So, this deal is for 1 RFA years and 2 UFA years I would guess as he turns 27 in late 2025. He was arbitration eligible, but guess it's good to have some financial security since he's been on bridge deals.

Must feel that Casey has a chance to become a higher than 60 point guy and thus cash in later. Similar to Reinhart in that sense as he was a year out of UFA when he was traded then signed with FLA.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Wow, crazy good deal for the Avs. WTH is CM's agent doing?
Mitts gets to UFA at 28 with a cap that may rise $15-20M during the length of the contract. The same % deal in 3 years could be $7M/year....for a decent-to-good 2nd line center. And if he goes PPG or nearly that in Colorado? He could get $9-10M pear year on the open market with a cap of $100M or more.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Gross, we had all the time in the world to leverage. Helps for the next 3 years
Not at all. He had arbitration rights and also the threat of an offer sheet. The uncertainty of the Nichushkin and Landeskog situations make things tricky too, so getting this done early was important.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I like it. Not every deal has to be 8 years. This gives the Avs flexibility in the future and gives CM another big payday potentially - and a reason to keep improving.

This deal while fairly short will almost assuredly cover CM's most productive seasons...

Year One: Age 25/26
Year Two: Age 26/27
Year Three: Age 27/28

If you want to be really optimistic - and there is no particular reason to be given the Avs' track record of developing (ie, not developing) non-superstar draft picks...but just to play that game...that does put the end of this deal right around when a Cal Ritchie should be blossoming into something tangible as well.
It fits with our MO, but with how good our pro scouts are... I just think we could have a repeat of Devon Toews (i.e. super huge steal that you wish was even longer).

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Good deal for Mitts….

“ Too bad he still can’t do a chin up / pull up“ but the 17 million over 3 years will comfort him a bit.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
I think the Avs front office thinks that Calum Ritchie will be ready to take over 2C by the time this contract is up.

If not, they should have the cap room to re-sign Mitts again by then.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
The term sucks.
The term are ideal because in 4 years Ritchie will land 2C spot

The term sucks.
The term are ideal because in 4 years Ritchie will land 2C spot

I was not impressed at all by Mittlestadt during the Playoffs.
9 PTS in 11 Games without 1st PP unit time
It's pretty good

I was not impressed at all by Mittlestadt during the Playoffs.
9 PTS in 11 Games without 1st PP unit time
It's pretty good

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Does he really deserve that salary ? They should had kept Byram.
2023: 59 points in 82 games
2024: 57 points in 80 games (playoffs: nine points in 11 games)

What do you think near 60 point, two-way centers make currently in the NHL?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That's basically admitting you haven't watched either player since the trade happened.

Byram played fine, so did Mitts. Didn’t shine in the playoffs, but small sample and the whole squad had some stuff to deal with.

Fine deal, I’d say it’s even on the low side. 5.75 for a 2C is fine, and Casey has room to grow on his new team. Happy for him, I think it’ll be slightly similar to Reinhart where he hits a new level now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much lays out the reason the Sabres moved him. As expected, the pricetag was never going to work for Buffalo's mix as a sort of 2a/b guy with Cozens. Easily palatable for the way he slides right in as a clear #2C for the Avs and their team structure though.

As much as Mittens seems to have rounded into an alright #2C...it was just not working with the mix down the middle for Buffalo. And you can't really spend $7.1M on both of Tage and Cozens, then also go out and spend another $5.75M on another guy competing for more of a Top-6 scoring role as well. Not if the overall mix of Centers isn't getting it done. Specifically...if none of them are any kind of real "matchup Center" and there isn't really a lot of great PK ability amongst them. Puts an unreasonable burden on your #4C to be an absolute PK and shutdown monster.

Moving Mittelstadt allows them to go out and try to find a much better "fit" at #3C who can play a matchup role, lead the PK effort, etc. Easier said than done...but at least they have the flexibility to do so, and a good asset in Byram to work with in trying to get there. They don't have to deal with an extremely expensive $5.75M + $7.1M = $12.85M 2a/b scenario that isn't addressing the most pressing needs from one of those two "middle-6 center" roles.

Also seems to be a great fit for the Avs and Mittelstadt though. He's good enough and fits with their system well enough to hold down that #2C gig with the wingers they have and what they need out of him there.

Continues to look like a rare "win win" trade. This contract is just part of the "win" for both teams. Buffalo doesn't have to deal with an expensive pair of middle-6Cs that aren't getting it done. Avs get a reasonably enough priced #2C for their own situation. Cool beans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad