Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Casey Mittelstadt signs extension with the Avalanche (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think this is fantastic for the Avs. He's worth that deal and it's not tying them into anything long term. I imagine they pushed for longer with a slightly higher AAV, but Middlestadt wouldn't budge and is hoping for a big payday next time around? It really opens up opportunities for the Avs to go all in the next few years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I had him guessed at minimum $6.5 for anything over 5 years.

The new projected cap environment is going to take some time for folks to get used to after so many stagnate years.
Even without the rising cap, I think that's acceptable. Am I way off base? I don't follow the Avs a ton.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Solid deal. It gets him to UFA quick enough he can cash in before he's too old. Gives the Avs some value on the cap hit.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s a good AAV. I’m happy to have 2C resolved for 3 years. Would have preferred longer but understand why it isn’t.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would Avs fans rather pay something like 8.5 or 9 million for 8 years?

I think this deal is pretty fair

No... But he clearly doesn't have the numbers for that contract either.

It was probably more realistically ~$7M for 6-8 years. Given the Avs window, the lower aav is better for sure.

But for 3 years and only 1 UFA year this really feels like it should have been closer to $5M than $6M.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I like it. Not every deal has to be 8 years. This gives the Avs flexibility in the future and gives CM another big payday potentially - and a reason to keep improving.

This deal while fairly short will almost assuredly cover CM's most productive seasons...

Year One: Age 25/26
Year Two: Age 26/27
Year Three: Age 27/28

If you want to be really optimistic - and there is no particular reason to be given the Avs' track record of developing (ie, not developing) non-superstar draft picks...but just to play that game...that does put the end of this deal right around when a Cal Ritchie should be blossoming into something tangible as well.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No... But he clearly doesn't have the numbers for that contract either.

It was probably more realistically ~$7M for 6-8 years. Given the Avs window, the lower aav is better for sure.

But for 3 years and only 1 UFA year this really feels like it should have been closer to $5M than $6M.
I think we are no longer in the flat cap and expectations on how much players sign for is changing. Caps going up 5% a year.

2 years from UFA

59 points then 57 (58 pace)
Is a center with two way ability.

He's going to get paid and I would not touch 7 x 8 if I was him.

That would be an underpayment.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As others have said, seems to be an extremely reasonable deal. Avs lock in their 2C for their remaining Cup window at a palatable number. It is preferable to going long-term with a bigger AAV for them. They also get what will likely be Mittelstadt's peak years.

Mittelstadt will get the opportunity to go UFA while he's still 28, and in his mind likely get a massive deal.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not a great deal. Feels like the cap should have been at least 500k less if Mitts was getting a 3 year straight-to-UFA deal. Every cent counts at this point for the Avs given how awful their cap situation is.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s a good deal for the Avs, and they’re a confident enough organization, they’re not scared of a player leaving as a UFA. If he can film that 2C long term, it’s a great deal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Gross, we had all the time in the world to leverage. Helps for the next 3 years
It’s gross but at the same time helps for the next 3 years? Who knows what the Avs will look like 4 years from now. We may be glad this deal is ending to give us flexibility.

Seems kind of silly to hate this deal but understand that it is a great fit for the foreseeable future...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad