Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I'm it's objectively wrong to say he didn't win the cup.
Look dude, i tried to edit it out when I dug into his stupid ass playing career, I'm no longer saying he didn't win

He won, but still did JACK SHIT. Missed half a year, put up 4 points, didn't play in the Finals and LEFT the team after his one year contract was up.

Some Kevin Porter level shit.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Excited to see what bums Dubas signs today.
I hope we can grab some of the non qualified younger players . Otherwise im ok with 1 year prove me deals . Skinner for example, can probably flip him for assets at the deadline if he plays good .

But in reality, while we do have some cap space for a few shorter term deals. I don't know if we even have roster spots?
Is it 1 or 2 spot up for grabs?

Sure, if we can unload Smith or Eller that opens up another spot etc.
But as of now, I just don't see us signing many players at all to NHL deals without moving others out.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Rust - Sid - DOC
Rakell - Malkin - Bunting
Smith - Hayes - Puustinen
Acciari - Eller - Puljujarvi
Bemstrom?

Patterson - Letang
EK - Graves
St.ivany - Ludvig/POJ (if signed)

Jarry
Ned

It's basically a full roster. And that's not counting Poulin/Pono pushing for spots.

And please disregard the positions and lines, i was only pumping out the names. I might gave forgotten someone also.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
My hope for today is no deals longer than 2 years for anyone not named Crosby or Pettersson. My hope for the rest of the offseason is that some contenders miss out on bigger name UFAs and decide Smith, Acciari, Eller, Jarry, or Graves (lol) is the answer to their roster hole.

Reactions: orby

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Which Pettersson? Surely you don't mean Marcus?
He's a good defenceman that's young enough to be worth more than 2 years. If I were GM I'd be selling him off, but I can respect keeping a guy like him around in the short run. GMs are falling all over themselves to give Tanev stupid money and term at 34 years old; Marcus will be moveable for good value as long as the cap hit isn't atrocious.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you gauge interest on Petts in the coming days, see if there's a market after the dust settles in FA, and then if there's not, plan to move him at the TDL with some money retained to get the most out of him in a trade.

Makes zero sense to re-sign that guy. This team's about to nosedive in the next year or two. Moving a decent player who makes pretty negligible money (in today's cap) the year he's gonna hit FA is how you get value. Not re-signing him and hoping he still has value in a couple more years.

Petts has been extremely meh outside of like a season and a half in his career. Just because this blueline's dysfunctional as hell and nobody else can even play a lick of defense doesn't mean Petts is anything imo. /shrug

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's a good defenceman that's young enough to be worth more than 2 years. If I were GM I'd be selling him off, but I can respect keeping a guy like him around in the short run. GMs are falling all over themselves to give Tanev stupid money and term at 34 years old; Marcus will be moveable for good value as long as the cap hit isn't atrocious.
Unless we give him one of those horrendous NMCs which are all the rage. I dunno, my feelings on his kind of player are well known, and I get the fact that they fill a niche and all, but I would rather sell him for futures now while his value is arguably highest because I don't think he's going to make any difference regarding the playoff on this blueline as it is currently constructed.

Reactions: Sideline

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
He won, but still did JACK SHIT.

That's not a reason for someone's name not to appear on the Cup.

If it was, Kyle Okposo's name wouldn't be there this time (16 games, 0 goals, 2 assists and 98% invisibility after 0 points in 6 games in the regular season with Florida after they go out of their way to acquire him at the TDL).

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Unless we give him one of those horrendous NMCs which are all the rage. I dunno, my feelings on his kind of player are well known, and I get the fact that they fill a niche and all, but I would rather sell him for futures now while his value is arguably highest because I don't think he's going to make any difference regarding the playoff on this blueline as it is currently constructed.
Generally agree the team should be selling off guys like Pettersson sooner or later. If it takes giving him a rock solid NMC I would not sign him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Dubas is allowed to go full tear down. I can live with giving guys the 7 team no Canada trade clause so Sid has a dignified last few years of his career. I just want to be able to recoup assets for them 3 years from now when Sid isn't around to placate.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Generally agree the team should be selling off guys like Pettersson sooner or later. If it takes giving him a rock solid NMC I would not sign him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Dubas is allowed to go full tear down. I can live with giving guys the 7 team no Canada trade clause so Sid has a dignified last few years of his career. I just want to be able to recoup assets for them 3 years from now when Sid isn't around to placate.
Yeah, we won't see the full tear down until Dubas has a couple of handfuls of "prospects " in the system and the Big 3 ride off into the sunset. Like it or not.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hope the team can move Petts for a decent return in the next like 8 months. I hope they are ready to part with their golden child in Rust next summer when his idiotic NTC expires. Moving Petts by the TDL and Rust next summer are pretty much the only two things I care about from Dubas tbh. He's gonna sign and trade for losers cuz this team/coach are dogshit, but the "get assets for tradeable pieces" and the post-Sid stuff are all I'm really concerned with. I'd -like- him to move Jarry, Graves, and fire Sullivan, but I don't think any of those three are gonna happen.

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Actually some good info here for once.

- Top priority is a LW for Sid to bump DOC down to L3. Player will be brought in on a short term deal. They will be patient and wait for the guys that get caught in the cap squeeze if necessary. No names given but this sounds like one of the mid-tier options like Duclair/Mantha to me.

- Penguins feel they need to tear it down, but want to field a semi-competitive team that spends to the cap for Sid's final years

- There is interest in Smith from other teams.

- POJ may return, but Dubas spent yesterday pondering replacements if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad