Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
you are forgetting Juulson
I like Juulson but Kylington is better especially at moving the puck, if we signed him we could have had a puck mover at each pair, although my guess is the Canucks want to accrue cap space to get a top 4 RHD dman during the TDL.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Oh so he kinda played himself. Kinda dickish to do that to Calgary after they stuck by him
Not really dickish - quite the opposite, he turned down a sure thing to check back and lost out on everything as a result.

He could have (and in hindsight, should have) simply accepted the four year deal instead of seeing if Calgary would match.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Not really dickish - quite the opposite, he turned down a sure thing to check back and lost out on everything as a result.

He could have (and in hindsight, should have) simply accepted the four year deal instead of seeing if Calgary would match.
I really think this whole debacle is more on his agent than it is on Kylington.

Reactions: Fig

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Damn, guess I have to root for the Avs now

Oh so he kinda played himself. Kinda dickish to do that to Calgary after they stuck by him

? If he had a four year deal on the table at any point, it should be obvious as why he'd prefer it. That he went back to Calgary to get them to match also shows that he wanted to stay.

Seems more like bad luck than anything.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he's decided he's got his head on right, and got his shit together this could be a steal for Colorado

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Avs bo
Kylington absolutely should play with a partner who is more defensively responsible. His biggest strength is his skating and puck-carrying ability. I don’t think he’s ever going to be someone you want to rely on when you’re just trying to shut another team down.

The Avs will probably target a physical RHD at the trade deadline to pair with and complement whichever one of Kylington and Brännström earns the 3LD spot.

And until then a bottom pairing rotation of Brännström/Kylington/DeHaan should be good enough in the meantime.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD @TDL
Brännström - De Haan

MacDonald - Malinski
Behrens - Rosen

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He just missed a good 18 months of hockey. Not blaming him for it, but from the team's perspective you can understand why they might be hesitant to give him a long-term deal after that. He's also never been that great defensively. And he's not a kid any more. He's 27. So you have to wonder how much more he's going to progress.

The Flames likely offered Kylington the same deal they ultimately gave to Bean, given that they signed Bean immediately after Kylington said he was going to FA. Kylington wanted more and gambled on himself. Given how long it took him to sign and the fact he's getting a one-year deal I'd say he lost. I'd blame Kylignton's agent for this more than Kylington himself.

Ultimately I don't think there's much to distinguish the other 4-5 Dmen the Flames have fighting for their 3-6 spots from Kylington. Kylington's a better puck carrier, but he's also not physical at all and not defensively reliable. He's really the kind of guy you want on the bottom pairing and the PP.

If Kylington is paired with a strong enough D partner, he will look like a top 4 dman. It was just 3 seasons ago that he was playing on the Flames top pair for the entire season with Tanev as his partner. Kylington didn't look out of place at all. And as soon as Tanev went down with injury, Kylington fell apart.

Kylington is pretty mobile, his skating is his best asset.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If Kylington is paired with a strong enough D partner, he will look like a top 4 dman. It was just 3 seasons ago that he was playing on the Flames top pair for the entire season with Tanev as his partner. Kylington didn't look out of place at all. And as soon as Tanev went down with injury, Kylington fell apart.

Kylington is pretty mobile, his skating is his best asset.
Yea Kylington was never on the top pair, as much as some fans liked to call it that. He was 4th on the flames in even strength time on ice that season, his partner was 3rd. In total ice time he had 2 seconds more than the number 5 (Gudbranson). Across the league, he had the 110th most ES ice time among defense who played 40+ games. In just total even strength minutes played he was 90th. All this while getting negligible special teams time and playing with a partner whose made a career of playing enough defense for him and his partner.

Long story short, Kylington never played top pair.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Couple thoughts:

1) Avs are just trying to fill the blueline out until Behrens is ready for NHL action and provide some "gatekeeper" 3rd pair guys for him and Malinski to prove they can overcome. Since they couldn't get a responsible physical defender on the 3rd pair (de Haan is closest) they are throwing numbers at it with depth being the solution; if someone gets hurt then next man up.

2) All of the blueliners (including Malinski) are subject to waivers so I think they will stay on the NHL roster and Avs will use their forwards on "paper moves" to accrue some more daily space throughout the year: Wagner, Kiviranta, and utilityman MacDonald ($2.325 million).

This would allow them to accrue enough cap space to get Nichushkin back in mid-November and still run thru early/mid December before needing to shed some NHL salary (equivalent AAV of $4.2 million over approximately). Who knows what will happen by then with injury/performance/etc.

Either Val gets moved out or Landeskog isn't healthy to stay in NHL; if not then the Avs will use performance of the new blueliners to determine their next move: does that mean Sam Girard gets traded if two of Brannstrom/Kylington/Behrens look great? Or do the Avs ship out Val (who should have 3 weeks of playing time to re-establish some value) and get a $2 million player in return?

I think it's the latter so that they can offer closer to market-rate extensions on Rantanen/Drouin and/or Georgiev with that space next year.
Rare to find such knowledgable posts on these boards. Well done.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
1 year x 1.05 million as per Friedman.

LHD: Toews-Girard-Kylington-Brannstrom-de Haan
RHD: Makar-Manson-Malinski

I vaguely recall that Brannstrom prefers to play on the right side, so maybe a 3rd pairing of Kylington-Brannstrom?
Kylington can play the right side too, in fact before he's said before joining Stockton, he'd never played the left side before.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I said on the Flames board this goes one of two ways for Oliver.

1) He'll carve out a niche in Colorado, anchor a third pair, play 75+ games, go to the playoffs, earn himself a long term deal next summer somewhere.

2) He'll be in/out of the lineup because he'll play like Oliver Kylington outside of 70some odd games with Chris Tanev. By the deadline Colorado will load up for a run which'll squeeze him out of the lineup. Maybe won't see the ice for the entire playoffs; and find himself in PTO/Europe territory next season.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Brannstrom or De Haan will move to the right and one of the 3 (Kylington included) will be the injury call up/replacement for one of them sucking. Av's need all the D they have acquired.

The Avs probably need more than just a single "injury call up/replacement", given their history with injuries. This signing also gives them the ability to only use Calle Rosen as the 6D against the Blues, where he's most effective. :naughty:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I said on the Flames board this goes one of two ways for Oliver.

1) He'll carve out a niche in Colorado, anchor a third pair, play 75+ games, go to the playoffs, earn himself a long term deal next summer somewhere.

2) He'll be in/out of the lineup because he'll play like Oliver Kylington outside of 70some odd games with Chris Tanev. By the deadline Colorado will load up for a run which'll squeeze him out of the lineup. Maybe won't see the ice for the entire playoffs; and find himself in PTO/Europe territory next season.
I authentically think he's better than Josh Manson. I think he's their 4th best defenseman right now. I don't see him sliding out of the lineup.

BTW, this is from someone who thinks he's handled himself VERY poorly throughout his past couple of seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: bert

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I authentically think he's better than Josh Manson. I think he's their 4th best defenseman right now. I don't see him sliding out of the lineup.

BTW, this is from someone who thinks he's handled himself VERY poorly throughout his past couple of seasons.

Apples and oranges but also a moot point. Two different styles of play. Avs have several mobile D and only one guy who does what Manson does.

Comparing Kylington to Manson is pointless.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Apples and oranges but also a moot point. Two different styles of play. Avs have several mobile D and only one guy who does what Manson does.

Comparing Kylington to Manson is pointless.
I think Manson is one of the most overrated players in the league. He's not a good defenseman at all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Lol you cant be this clueless about the player. No one wanted him.

Did you watch the Avs cup run in 22? Manson was a beast
Guy wouldnt know a good hockey player if he was playing on a line with mcdavid in beer league.

Reactions: Lunatik

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How good was he in his one good offensive season?

Him and Tanev made arguably one of the best pairings in the league in his one good season; they owned the puck all night, generated a bunch of shots, were quick out of their zone, great first passes, just a solid, solid duo for us.

He came in as an elite offensive player, and it never really translated into the NHL; while being a tremendous skater, he had issues with processing speed at the NHL level for what seemed like a few years until that Tanev pairing season. Lots of boneheaded plays, lots of bad turnovers on the blue line, getting overpowered, losing his man, was legit lower-than-replacement level for us. When he came back from his hiatus, he looked more like this player than the guy who was dominant with Tanev.

Offensively, he won't wow you with creativity. He's a solid skater, good first pass, will make mistakes and be able to correct because of how strong of a skater he is. Dunno. This guy will either be a huge piece for you guys this year, or you'll forget he's on the roster by March.

Ledge And Dairy

Lol you cant be this clueless about the player. No one wanted him.

Guy wouldnt know a good hockey player if he was playing on a line with mcdavid in beer league.
Pot calling the kettle black much? It's been stated multiple times that there was a 4 year deal on the table from Washington that Calgary wasn't willing to match. Then Washington acquired Chychrun and that 4 year deal was gone. Calgary had also signed Bean to a 2 year deal by then too.

Teams are hesitant to sign a guy who's only played 33 games in the last 2 seasons to the multi year deal that he wanted. That is not the same as no one wanting him at all. This is as simple as Kylington's agent convinced him to overplay his hand and it backfired. Don't be shocked if Kylington is playing 2nd pair on Colorado before the end of the season

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pot calling the kettle black much? It's been stated multiple times that there was a 4 year deal on the table from Washington that Calgary wasn't willing to match. Then Washington acquired Chychrun and that 4 year deal was gone. Calgary had also signed Bean to a 2 year deal by then too.

Teams are hesitant to sign a guy who's only played 33 games in the last 2 seasons to the multi year deal that he wanted. That is not the same as no one wanting him at all. This is as simple as Kylington's agent convinced him to overplay his hand and it backfired. Don't be shocked if Kylington is playing 2nd pair on Colorado before the end of the season
His current team didnt want him. He just got signed in August for 1 year 1 million dollar deal and we have posters saying he is better than Manson and Chabot. Yeah im the issue here not you guys. The mental gymnastic is impressive I have to say. Dont let the actual real time facts of how this played out get in the way of a hyperbolic argument.

Reactions: Khrox and shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad