Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Still can't believe the Flames let this guy go. He is underrated and just watch him land a big multi-year deal a year from now. Good signing for Colorado.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
But it definitely does not seem built for the playoffs out West. This seems like a “let’s cobble together some good cheap depth that can play in the Avs style - and then - see what we can do at the TDL to round things into playoff shape” strategy.
That's exactly it.

Avs will role with the current set-up at least until there's more clarity on Nuke/Landeskog. There's a chance this enables a Girard trade around that time, or at the latest the TDL. But to your point, the Avs won't line-up like this for the post-season, they will add at least one more physical dman. It should be a fine lineup for the regular season though

Reactions: BKarchitect

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
In a way, he’s doing you a favor. It would be a shame for a perfectly good pair of booing pants to go to waste.
With the mass exodus from the organization my booing pants are getting a good workout regardless. Adam Fox is my personal favorite.

Should I be worried tanev covered a lot of his warts?
He's got his flaws, but no one skates better. He can usually catch up to his mistakes. If you take skating alone he's a better skater than prime Bouwmeester. He makes a good first pass. He can defend fast opposition. He does get outmuscled along the boards at times, but not terribly so.

For 1M it's a steal. I wouldn't think it's an overpay for triple what you guys signed him for.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Why would nukes cap be prorated? If a player gets hurt in the summer and comes back in November and his cap hit is 8 million for example, it still stays at 8 million.

Cap hits never change.
That's exactly why I said pro-rated. The $8 mil cap hit is based off of a 82 game season, same with the entire team's salary cap. It's why teams can 'accrue' cap space during the season and why the TDL is a thing. If there wasn't any accrual, there would simply be no trades to be made because every team would have no cap space.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Still can't believe the Flames let this guy go. He is underrated and just watch him land a big multi-year deal a year from now. Good signing for Colorado.
I mean, they tried to sign him and Kylington turned them down. Specifically on the "wasn't a money issue, it was a term issue. Supposedly we offered him a 2 year deal, and he wanted longer. I guess no one in the league wanted to risk longer than that, and by the time he came back around, the Flames had basically gotten Bean as his replacement

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Kylington-Brannstrom will get murdered physically if they are a pair and you’ve already got Girard playing 20 minutes a night on the second pair. CdH isn’t exactly physical either and the two best call-ups/young players in Malinski and Behrens are small (though Behrens plays strong).

This puts a ton of pressure on Manson to stay healthy and stay at a high level (which he was during the playoffs for sure) to give that blueline some teeth.

It’ll be a beautiful group to watch skate and in transition and I suspect it’ll fuel another potent Avs offense even without Landeskog and/or Nuke for much of the year.

But it definitely does not seem built for the playoffs out West. This seems like a “let’s cobble together some good cheap depth that can play in the Avs style - and then - see what we can do at the TDL to round things into playoff shape” strategy.
Their defence is definitely not big, mean or very physical. Hell of a top pair but I'm loving the trend of teams copying the Vegas cup model and going big, physical and hard to play against. I fully admit I'm bias but Tochett, Foote and Gonchar told Allvin, that basically the top pair can get the lion's share of the points surrounded by giants. Definitely more than one way to skin a cat but teams are gonna have a fukc of a time getting anywhere near Demko.

Good low risk signing that should fit in with the Avs style.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
His cap hit is still 6+M. but because he’s missing approx 20% of the season, his 6M will only start when he returns. So his effective cap hit if he returns when projected would be about 5M
Is there anywhere that states that.
Again I'm probably wrong but the way I thought it worked was he doesn't get paid during his leave and there's no cap hit but when he comes back it will revert back to his old contract so say for example he gets paid 125k a week on his current contract, in a normal season he would be getting that same amount all year. Being suspended without pay means he doesn't get his regular pay during the suspension but once he's reinstated he goes back to the 125k a week for the rest of the year. A contract is a contract having it paused shouldn't affect anything once it's unpaused .
The only thing that changes is instead of making 6 million he loses whatever amount the suspension cost him. As for cap hit it never changes because the contract he signed was for 6 million+ a season forfeiting a portion of that doesn't change the contract he signed.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Is there anywhere that states that.
Again I'm probably wrong but the way I thought it worked was he doesn't get paid during his leave and there's no cap hit but when he comes back it will revert back to his old contract so say for example he gets paid 125k a week on his current contract, in a normal season he would be getting that same amount all year. Being suspended without pay means he doesn't get his regular pay during the suspension but once he's reinstated he goes back to the 125k a week for the rest of the year. A contract is a contract having it paused shouldn't affect anything once it's unpaused .
The only thing that changes is instead of making 6 million he loses whatever amount the suspension cost him. As for cap hit it never changes because the contract he signed was for 6 million+ a season forfeiting a portion of that doesn't change the contract he signed.
The entirety of the top 2/3 of your post is correct. It’s the bottom that is not.

Because it’s due for suspension, means his cap hit is not being applied during suspension. Cap hits are calculated daily. Seasons are about 180 days. So theoretically, nukes daily cap hit is 6.125/180 days, or 34000$ per day.
During suspension, Nukes daily cap hit is not being applied to the Avalanches cap hit.
But once he returns, his entire 34000 cap hit will be applied. Since it’s only for 80% of the season, his effective cap hit on the team will be about 80% of his total cap hit.

The same logic applied to a trade deadline acquisition is applied here. A team with 2M in cap space at the deadline, can add an 8M dollar player because they are only being charged the daily cap hit for 1/4 of the season.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
He wanted 4 years from the Flames and they countered with 2. He didn’t budge off the 4 year ask and thought he’d get that in free agency. He overplayed his hand big time. Wish him all the best in Colorado.
It’s pretty crazy if he actually wanted 4 years after only a few months of hockey in a two year span.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Couple thoughts:

1) Avs are just trying to fill the blueline out until Behrens is ready for NHL action and provide some "gatekeeper" 3rd pair guys for him and Malinski to prove they can overcome. Since they couldn't get a responsible physical defender on the 3rd pair (de Haan is closest) they are throwing numbers at it with depth being the solution; if someone gets hurt then next man up.

2) All of the blueliners (including Malinski) are subject to waivers so I think they will stay on the NHL roster and Avs will use their forwards on "paper moves" to accrue some more daily space throughout the year: Wagner, Kiviranta, and utilityman MacDonald ($2.325 million).

This would allow them to accrue enough cap space to get Nichushkin back in mid-November and still run thru early/mid December before needing to shed some NHL salary (equivalent AAV of $4.2 million over approximately). Who knows what will happen by then with injury/performance/etc.

Either Val gets moved out or Landeskog isn't healthy to stay in NHL; if not then the Avs will use performance of the new blueliners to determine their next move: does that mean Sam Girard gets traded if two of Brannstrom/Kylington/Behrens look great? Or do the Avs ship out Val (who should have 3 weeks of playing time to re-establish some value) and get a $2 million player in return?

I think it's the latter so that they can offer closer to market-rate extensions on Rantanen/Drouin and/or Georgiev with that space next year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It’s pretty crazy if he actually wanted 4 years after only a few months of hockey in a two year span.
The rumours are another team (Washington allegedly) offered a 4 year deal

Oliver's camp circled back to the Flames to see if they'd match term, they said no.

Flames signed Bean, Washington pulled the offer after acquiring Chychrun, and here we are.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He just missed a good 18 months of hockey. Not blaming him for it, but from the team's perspective you can understand why they might be hesitant to give him a long-term deal after that. He's also never been that great defensively. And he's not a kid any more. He's 27. So you have to wonder how much more he's going to progress.

The Flames likely offered Kylington the same deal they ultimately gave to Bean, given that they signed Bean immediately after Kylington said he was going to FA. Kylington wanted more and gambled on himself. Given how long it took him to sign and the fact he's getting a one-year deal I'd say he lost. I'd blame Kylignton's agent for this more than Kylington himself.

Ultimately I don't think there's much to distinguish the other 4-5 Dmen the Flames have fighting for their 3-6 spots from Kylington. Kylington's a better puck carrier, but he's also not physical at all and not defensively reliable. He's really the kind of guy you want on the bottom pairing and the PP.

Reactions: Fig

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
The rumours are another team (Washington allegedly) offered a 4 year deal

Oliver's camp circled back to the Flames to see if they'd match term, they said no.

Flames signed Bean, Washington pulled the offer after acquiring Chychrun, and here we are.
Oh so he kinda played himself. Kinda dickish to do that to Calgary after they stuck by him

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Gotta think the Avs are moving out a LHD.

Toews, Girard, Brannstrom / De Haan / Kylington.
Brannstrom or De Haan will move to the right and one of the 3 (Kylington included) will be the injury call up/replacement for one of them sucking. Av's need all the D they have acquired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad