Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Can an Avs fan explain to me how they will be cap compliant (assuming Landy and Nichushkin come back)?

Not sure. It all depends on if Landeskog (7m) is healthy enough to play after missing 2 years and/or if Nichushkin (4.9m pro-rated upon Nov. 15 possible return) applies to be reinstated in the NHL.

22-man roster, $79.00875m caphit

Drouin - Mackinnon - Lehkonen
??? - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Kiviranta - Wagner - Kovalenko
Kelly

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - Brannstrom
de Haan - Malinski

Georgiev
Annunen

How you fill in the ??? with neither, just 1, or both Landy/Nuke, there's so many ways it can go.

IMO, Landy doesn't play sadly, and Nuke comes back. Avs hope he stays clean, and trade him next summer when his NMC changes to a 12-team NTC.

The conspiracy theorist in me says both won't play, and the Avs will trade for Laine, whom they have just enough capspace to accommodate. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
When I asked the CGY board months ago, they made it sound like he was to re-sign there. I wonder what transpired, but there’s very minimal risk for COL here…

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
When I asked the CGY board months ago, they made it sound like he was to re-sign there. I wonder what transpired, but there’s very minimal risk for COL here…
Rumour is he wanted a multi-year deal. Flames refused to give him one and likely offered something similar to this deal.

Kylington turned it down and went to FA, so the Flames signed Bean instead.

I think Kylington and his agent believed someone would give him at least two years but they were wrong. It took a loooong time for him to sign.

It is low risk, but he’s only played about three months of hockey in the last two seasons.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kylington-Brannstrom will get murdered physically if they are a pair and you’ve already got Girard playing 20 minutes a night on the second pair. CdH isn’t exactly physical either and the two best call-ups/young players in Malinski and Behrens are small (though Behrens plays strong).

This puts a ton of pressure on Manson to stay healthy and stay at a high level (which he was during the playoffs for sure) to give that blueline some teeth.

It’ll be a beautiful group to watch skate and in transition and I suspect it’ll fuel another potent Avs offense even without Landeskog and/or Nuke for much of the year.

But it definitely does not seem built for the playoffs out West. This seems like a “let’s cobble together some good cheap depth that can play in the Avs style - and then - see what we can do at the TDL to round things into playoff shape” strategy.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It kind of sucks for Kylington. He would have had a shot at the second pairing on the Flames if he had signed and a chance to prove himself as a top-4.

On the Avs he’ll almost certainly be on the bottom pairing. At least he’ll win more games I guess.

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
When the Flames and Kylington were negotiating it sounded like Oliver wanted term.

Reactions: Fig

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Really wish he would’ve re-signed with the Flames.

At the very least he’s still one of the best skaters in the league

Reactions: Fig

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Nichushkin is back in November, so his pro-rated cap hit will be around $1-2 mil less (I forget the exact amount). I doubt Landy is in the opening line-up as well so whenever he comes back he'll have some shaved off as well.

From my understanding, it's very fluid since we don't know the timeline of Landy and the Avs always have injury. If miraculously they're fully healthy, I imagine CMac has a trade lined up for a player like Wood, G, or Colton, (prob for quarters on the dollar) - but I doubt that'll actually happen.
Why would nukes cap be prorated? If a player gets hurt in the summer and comes back in November and his cap hit is 8 million for example, it still stays at 8 million.

Cap hits never change.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender and capazzo

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
  • PuckPedia has Colorado at ~$2.1M in cap space (includes Landeskog).
  • Nichushkin's cap hit will be prorated, if he returns when first eligable, his cap hit will be roughly ~$4.9M.
PuckPedia has a 22 man roster. After demoting their (3) two-way guys, Colorado will still be over the cap by ~$0.5M. So they'd still have to demote a lower end one-way player, cutting themselves down to 18 skaters.

Most likely though: Landeskog starts the year on the LTIR, and Nichushkin doesn't return when first eligible (or possibly at all).
Why is his cap hit prorated? I get he was suspended without pay but when re-instated his contract does as well. I get his salary would be prorated and not saying your wrong that just seems odd. What's the reason it's done like that?
Puck pedia says his cap hit and pay are suspended but still show 6+ million, I don't see anything pro-rated

Reactions: capazzo

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Rumour is he wanted a multi-year deal. Flames refused to give him one and likely offered something similar to this deal.

Kylington turned it down and went to FA, so the Flames signed Bean instead.

I think Kylington and his agent believed someone would give him at least two years but they were wrong. It took a loooong time for him to sign.

It is low risk, but he’s only played about three months of hockey in the last two seasons.

Why is his cap hit prorated? I get he was suspended without pay but when re-instated his contract does as well. I get his salary would be prorated and not saying your wrong that just seems odd. What's the reason it's done like that?
Puck pedia says his cap hit and pay are suspended but still show 6+ million, I don't see anything pro-rated
His cap hit is still 6+M. but because he’s missing approx 20% of the season, his 6M will only start when he returns. So his effective cap hit if he returns when projected would be about 5M

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015

Oliver wanted term, Conroy (and the Flames) RIGHTFULLY said, "seriously?". Buddy, you've taken 18+ months off getting paid millions (I emphasize with the mental illness, but I'll call a spade a spade), no we're not giving you term.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Dang, seems like Allvin slept on the job on this one, Vancouver was seeking another depth PMD and his name was one of interest. Oh well.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm an Oilers fan but was cheering for him to get himself well & make a return to the NHL. I wouldn't wish what he went through on anyone.
I think we can all agree that he probably should've re-signed in Calgary as a thank you for standing by him although we don't have all the information.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

It's hard to find a lot of this crap since CapFriendly went dark, the CBA is a novel...

Repeat offenders lose salary based on the number of games in a season (82). For example, a three game suspension would cost a repeat offender 3/82nds of his average salary.

The exact quote, per the CBA, clause 18.15, page 122:

for "repeat" offenders (second or more incidents requiring game suspension

determined pursuant to Section 18.15(d)), Player to forfeit one (1) NHL Game's Paragraph 1

NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season

Game lost (1/number of Regular Season Games for each Regular Season Game suspended);

(c) Player Salary and Bonuses forfeited due to a suspension will be calculated based

on a Player's Averaged Amount, as defined in Article 50 of this Agreement;

And then 18.16, same page:

18.16 Use of Fine Money and Forfeited Salary.

(a) Monies forfeited shall not be included in Actual Club Salary.

If my interpretation is not enough, here is the Denver Post beat writer making the same statement (I'm sure there are others):

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9