Cody Franson says he’s in contract talks with Bruins

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Please no. Franson is looking for serious term. Probably 6 years at least. Much rather Zidlicky on a 1 year deal.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The Bruins next season will be a bubble team, at best. If the team manages to make the playoffs, then I don't see it winning a series. My preference would be to create a defense core from the players that the team already has and not waste money by adding Franson. This includes giving a player like Joe Morrow a full-time starting role. The Bruins will sink or swim with their current crop of defensemen. (The former is more likely and will yield a better draft spot in 2016.)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hopefully Sweeney waited him out and now he will sign a favorable deal since he hasn't been signed 3 weeks into free agency.

Looks like it.

Shame we gave the savings to McQuaid but I think McQuaid will play better than people think and we'll be thrilled to still have Quaider if anything happens to Z or Seids.

I think its a good signing Franson in Claude's system should be an immediate upgrade on Hamilton all things considered even if Hamilton's point totals project to a HOF career the offensive dropoff won't be that big we need Franson to take some heat off Krug and hes absolutely good enough offensively to do that even if he isn't Dougie and hes competent defensively.

Franson coming out like this must mean he wants to sign something this week and is getting frustrated by negotitations since they are so close (a team he doesn't want to play for at this point isn't going to give him a stupid contract that he can't turn down we should get him just a question of how much.)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Dom is correct and we get him at something around 4.2, that would be ideal.

I thought 4.2 was for Edmonton(by 1 reporter)? and we were in the 4.8M range at one point.

If he ends up here hopefully it's for 3years and around 4.5M, but still some cap would have to be moved, with 4.2M we wouldn't have to move cap but would be maxed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Looks like it.

Shame we gave the savings to McQuaid but I think McQuaid will play better than people think and we'll be thrilled to still have Quaider if anything happens to Z or Seids.

I think its a good signing Franson in Claude's system should be an immediate upgrade on Hamilton all things considered even if Hamilton's point totals project to a HOF career the offensive dropoff won't be that big we need Franson to take some heat off Krug and hes absolutely good enough offensively to do that even if he isn't Dougie and hes competent defensively.

Franson coming out like this must mean he wants to sign something this week and is getting frustrated by negotitations since they are so close (a team he doesn't want to play for at this point isn't going to give him a stupid contract that he can't turn down we should get him just a question of how much.)

If by "anything happens", do you mean "play the same as they did last year"?

The defense needs to be improved. Moving out one of Seidenberg or Chara while they still have value (mostly Chara) is a good move at this point, given the current state of the team. If we actually want to look forward here, they're going to have to make a "forward" move with one of those two guys.

Before anyone asks "well, who do you replace Seids or Chara with?", I'll say that maybe you don't replace him with an equal. But, you maybe get the room (especially with Chara) to make a move either early or in the middle of the season. I really don't see why this shouldn't be an option. If people really do think we're a "bubble team" or not going to make the playoffs, why the **** are we still holding on to both of these guys?

I ask that assuming they're really not being shopped, which I don't believe they are.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
At this point it's probably about term not value. No doubt he's gotten plenty of 1-2 year deals in the 4-5 range.

I'd do 4.2x3 ideally. Maybe 4x4.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
The Bruins next season will be a bubble team, at best. If the team manages to make the playoffs, then I don't see it winning a series. My preference would be to create a defense core from the players that the team already has and not waste money by adding Franson. This includes giving a player like Joe Morrow a full-time starting role. The Bruins will sink or swim with their current crop of defensemen. (The former is more likely and will yield a better draft spot in 2016.)

Are you also an Oiler or Sabre fan?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
4x4 for Franson would not be bad at all if you can move Seidenberg but there's no way I can see carrying both players for the next 3+ years at 4 mil a piece.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Kind of odd how he specifically name drops the Bruins, then goes onto say how great the city and fans are. Come full circle.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
FRANSON has no desire to play in Boston

I interview people for a living, his answer to the question about playing in Boston was brutal. Paraphrasing but basically related Boston would be interesting. That’s not an answer I want to hear as a Bruins fan. Not saying he won’t sign with the Bruins but if he does, it’s solely for the money. When he spoke of TO and Vancouver, he related words to the effect, I would love to. That’s what any fan of a team contemplating the addition of that player wants to hear, not it would be interesting.

Would you like to meet Modern Family's Julie Bowen?...I would love to.
Would you like to meet Roseanne Arnold?...it would interesting.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I interview people for a living, his answer to the question about playing in Boston was brutal. Paraphrasing but basically related Boston would be interesting. That’s not an answer I want to hear as a Bruins fan. Not saying he won’t sign with the Bruins but if he does, it’s solely for the money. When he spoke of TO and Vancouver, he related words to the effect, I would love to. That’s what any fan of a team contemplating the addition of that player wants to hear, not it would be interesting.

Or it could be that Boston is one of the only interested parties, but Franson is trying to make it seem as if there are other viable landing spots for him? I never read too much into anything these guys say.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

I think you are reading too much into that. He loved playing in front of the Toronto crowd, and they loved him. Then of course why wouldn't he want to play for his home crowd in Vancouver? He's playing hard ball. It's clear. Let the bidding, commence.

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
The fact of the matter is this team won't be that much better with Franson. He was one of the better Leaf defenseman but that`s really not saying much. Maybe just stick with the youngins and see who`s the best of the bunch.

Chara Seidenberg
Trotman Krug
Mcquaid Irwin/Morrow, Miller.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The fact of the matter is this team won't be that much better with Franson. He was one of the better Leaf defenseman but that`s really not saying much. Maybe just stick with the youngins and see who`s the best of the bunch.

Chara Seidenberg
Trotman Krug
Mcquaid Irwin/Morrow, Miller.

It keeps getting said here that the big boys want to be in the playoffs, they want to build a playoff team even if it hurts our future plans and may not be the best option, and that D group is nowhere near the playoffs and we won't see that.

I'm torn with this all the time, I want Franson here on a max3y deal and what he can bring, size, hits, be a cheaper/younger replacement for JB, but the pairings are tough to make fit and this D needs speed/puck moving the most, we don't have those players yet, next year we will have but not now and it could easily end up being the slowest D group in the league.
Also I keep asking myself that how good Franson is honestly, he was great with the leafs at somepoint but the team was brutal/mess and he stuggled too, in Nashville they couldn't make it work.

So how good is he honestly and how good can we make him?
Could he become JB under Juliens coaching?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad