Cody Franson says he’s in contract talks with Bruins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wonder if it makes any sense at all to make mcquaid a sign and trade guy if franson is available? Love mcquaids game at 1/2 the cap hit... dont look forward to him in out top 4

I keep wondering do we need franson if colin miller is a real nhl prospect? Im not sure how many big shot/'poor defense rh shot dmen we have room for.

Kevan millers contract makes some sense as a bottom pair rugged rh shot partnerror matt irwin. I personally hope joe morrow can force a spot for himself.

Krug seems likely to be asked to play second pair... and as it stands today seidenberg/mcquaid look likely to be his partner.

One of them will end up with chara but if franson does sign he seems to be inline to partner chara.

So then its krug/seidenberg/macquaid all paid too much to be bottom pair guys. Seems franson will make 1 expendable. Ive been predicting krug because i felt morrow is the best kid but if colin miller is the best kid maybe mcquaid is the guy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. He's a a guy you could put on the first pair and he wouldn't look out of place. A serious upgrade to what's been bandied about on the board this summer.

Could D group of,

Chara-Franson
Seidenberg-Colin
Krug-McQuaid
Trotman
survive in the 1st half of the season?

Franson scores 30-35 points, is a lot more physical than Hamilton and a bit better defensively then that should be a better group than we had last year, Seidenberg being a huge IF there, also if Chara has a great offseason which he should have then he should be able to make that D group work with his beast D-play.
We'd have 1 more D to provide offense, so we should see better point totals from our players, 1more physical D and better D-play for last year, last years group didn't set the bar too high but if they want to make the playoffs then that is something that should be seen, doubt that we'll see bigger a trade for atop D player.
The D group is killing me, the pairings are killing me and the quality is killing me.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Could D group of,

Chara-Franson
Seidenberg-Colin
Krug-McQuaid
Trotman
survive in the 1st half of the season?

Franson scores 30-35 points, is a lot more physical than Hamilton and a bit better defensively then that should be a better group than we had last year, Seidenberg being a huge IF there, also if Chara has a great offseason which he should have then he should be able to make that D group work with his beast D-play.
We'd have 1 more D to provide offense, so we should see better point totals from our players, 1more physical D and better D-play for last year, last years group didn't set the bar too high but if they want to make the playoffs then that is something that should be seen, doubt that we'll see bigger a trade for atop D player.
The D group is killing me, the pairings are killing me and the quality is killing me.

I get your concern, I really do.Seems like a mis-matched bunch doesn't it? But today is July 21st the Bruins season starts on October 8th. There is plenty of time for panic , as hard as it is to do , why not wait out the off season and see how it all shakes out. I can almost guarantee the status quo is not what you'll see.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Listening to the part about the right "fit" being a key factor....looking at Bruins depth on right side....

Could be wrong, but I don't think offers are getting any better at this date. At what point does he take the best multi-year deal on the table?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I get your concern, I really do.Seems like a mis-matched bunch doesn't it? But today is July 21st the Bruins season starts on October 8th. There is plenty of time for panic , as hard as it is to do , why not wait out the off season and see how it all shakes out. I can almost guarantee the status quo is not what you'll see.

I highly doubt we are going to see anything bigger than Franson signing, I can't see us making a bigger trade right now, there aren't cap teams that we could take advatage of, Rangers were able to push their worries for 1year, Hawks aren't trading anymore D players the savings will come from forwards, Versteeg being the 1st option.
Do you see us making anything bigger than 1 D signing? I just can't.

Right now we are looking at
chara-trotman
krug-seidenberg
irwin-mcquaid
and that is a recipe for disaster, the D at best will be average, right now it's 1 of the worst and you can't fix that that easily, this is why I'm losing it, we are trying to build a playoff team. You won't be able to turn that into a top10 group from august to october, that time was 3-4weeks ago.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I highly doubt we are going to see anything bigger than Franson signing, I can't see us making a bigger trade right now, there aren't cap teams that we could take advatage of, Rangers were able to push their worries for 1year, Hawks aren't trading anymore D players the savings will come from forwards, Versteeg being the 1st option.
Do you see us making anything bigger than 1 D signing? I just can't.

Right now we are looking at
chara-trotman
krug-seidenberg
irwin-mcquaid
and that is a recipe for disaster, the D at best will be average, right now it's 1 of the worst and you can't fix that that easily, this is why I'm losing it, we are trying to build a playoff team.

Yes there is time before the season starts but we aren't talking before the draft time, it's August soon and this is our roster right now.

Yes I do, Sweeny is a much more aggressive GM than Chia can ever dream of being. I wouldn't put it past him to make more moves. He has even told us as much.

I like his style. I didn't see foresee him making any of the moves he's made so far. Why would he stop here ?

As is this team is a bubble PO team, I don't expect him to be happy with that. The players that were on this team last year are not his doing. He owes none of them anything. He's smart enough to know who has to go and who stays.

Unfortunately , there are several that are untradeable and he'll probably have to deal with that fact but I have faith in The Don and I expect he'll surprise us as he did at FA.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Franson is a legit #3 Defensemen in the NHL if u can lock him up at 4.5 per that is good value

He is capable of being a #3... But he's a consistent underachiever and has been a healthy scratch many times through his career. He's an insanely frustrating player. Another "all the tools no toolbox" type of guy.

I want to give him a chance here, I would be very happy if we signed him. We need help desperately on defense and he's a pretty good fit. But I would not count on him being a #3. He (27) is not better than Hamilton (21) offensively or defensively, he is very, very slow, and he's extremely inconsistent. We would improve if we signed him but it should be a short term deal. He isn't someone you keep around... Sweeney and Neely want to compete for a playoff spot next year, sure, have him for 1-2 years while our defensive talent is still developing. Don't want any more than that. Too much of a risk.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes I do, Sweeny is a much more aggressive GM than Chia can ever dream of being. I wouldn't put it past him to make more moves. He has even told us as much.

I like his style. I didn't see foresee him making any of the moves he's made so far. Why would he stop here ?

As is this team is a bubble PO team, I don't expect him to be happy with that. The players that were on this team last year are not his doing. He owes none of them anything. He's smart enough to know who has to go and who stays.

Unfortunately , there are several that are untradeable and he'll probably have to deal with that fact but I have faith in The Don and I expect he'll surprise us as he did at FA.

Yes he is looking to make trade options but to me that is 1move max.
Our options are limited, the market isn't just there anymore. I like that he is not afraid to do moves but there are limits, he wants us to be a playoff team so they can't completely change the team in 1 offseason.
I'm expecting to see moves on the 2nd half/offseason, atleast we should do, we need to do.
But you know his options are very limited right now, who can he use in a trade to get a top4D, Lou? and kill wing group completely and make sure we aren't playing in the playoffs and thats not going to be the trades point, it's to get into the playoffs. He's the only forward option and that trade wouldn't bring us back any forwards, Kelly would be our top9 forward again :laugh: or he signs a UFA forward but there's nothing left on the market that would make any sense.

Then if he uses picks/prospects to get a D-player back that would be the 1 move/change and that's it, if he would run into cap problems then his only option would be Seids/Kelly, will he trade them, can he trade them?. We aren't going to get a top pairing D back so that would be 2nd pairing D max.
Or he just signs Franson and maxes our cap.

I'm saying 1 Franson level move and max 1 very smallish move, but doubt it, bottom6 is full and we got D Irwin signing already.

Crazier thought is that yes he can trade Lou+ for 2nd pairing D and lose assets and then use assets to get another top6 winger, that's a lot of assets to be used to maybe get as good offensively as we are now and we have Lou already for free and could just sign Franson and see just 1 move/change. I doubt teams are trading top6 players right now that are better than Lou and what would be the cost?

Chia left his mark and we have to pay for it for sometime still.

Last edited:

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Looks like it.

Shame we gave the savings to McQuaid but I think McQuaid will play better than people think and we'll be thrilled to still have Quaider if anything happens to Z or Seids.

Did you say we'd be "thrilled" to have Mcquaid? I'm sorry, I just don't see him as being anything more than a solid 3rd pairing defensive defenseman.

The whole reason we 'might' be in talks with Franson is because he could play a 2nd pairing role for us. I don't mind signing Franson, the main question is term. If it's a 2 year deal, I think that's perfect. If it's 5-6 years or more, then that's a terrible way to lock up your remaining cap space. And i would view that as a disaster.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The answers to our defensive woes won't be found today. They reside in next year's draft and/or the hard won cap space achieved last month. Signing a mediocrity like Franson is the ultimate treadmill move. Good enough to possibly help eke out a playoff spot, but nothing more.

I agree it prob isn't now. But maybe at the deadline.

This team IS going to surprise people. There are a lot of highly talented prideful guys in that room who have been taken down a few pegs. They'll be rested and motivated to make the playoffs.

I stand by 7th in conference.

If I was Franson I would be looking to get the longest deal possible. I'm talking 8 year deal. Slow D players are getting fazed out. I would go for long term if I was him even if it meant taking 1M for the last 2 years.

The longer this stews, the more I don't like it. Don't like it a lot. The Bruins faught hard to make some progress with the cap, I don't want to get snaired long term on a weak player impulse move. I'll be very relieved when this guy signs somewhere else.

Moving Seidenberg and adding Franson isn't much of a step forward, if any, anyway.

No doubt. Driven to make the playoffs.

I expect DS to make a good push at the deadline, if he doesn't get jumpy with Franson.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
He is capable of being a #3... But he's a consistent underachiever and has been a healthy scratch many times through his career. He's an insanely frustrating player. Another "all the tools no toolbox" type of guy.

I want to give him a chance here, I would be very happy if we signed him. We need help desperately on defense and he's a pretty good fit. But I would not count on him being a #3. He (27) is not better than Hamilton (21) offensively or defensively, he is very, very slow, and he's extremely inconsistent. We would improve if we signed him but it should be a short term deal. He isn't someone you keep around... Sweeney and Neely want to compete for a playoff spot next year, sure, have him for 1-2 years while our defensive talent is still developing. Don't want any more than that. Too much of a risk.

at 27 Johnny Boychuk's best season was 16pts. Many defensemen improve a lot from that age into their early 30s just by having more experience. It's hard to really say what his defensive abilities are, he's played most of his career to the accompaniment of the Wringling Brother's theme in Toronto. He was a + in his two seasons in Nashville, and a + the one year the Leafs made the playoffs. I don't think he's a 1st pairing guy, but for 4ish mill, 3-4 years and without any type of NTC i'd be okay.

mjs14

Jun 30, 2015
Woburn MA
would make such a good addition to boston.. big 6'5'' solid all around defenceman who fits the scheme of boston..

canoebears

Jul 11, 2007
salmon arm b,c,
Call me prejudiced cause I sold Franson his first pair of skates and have been a friend of the family for 30 years. If you actually look inside the numbers any negative comments are so untrue. The Bruins NEED a RH shot from the point on the powerplay. So many games are won and lost on the PP and on this alone Franson would be worth the money.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Call me prejudiced cause I sold Franson his first pair of skates and have been a friend of the family for 30 years. If you actually look inside the numbers any negative comments are so untrue. The Bruins NEED a RH shot from the point on the powerplay. So many games are won and lost on the PP and on this alone Franson would be worth the money.

Let's hope they get it done. The D certainly is a weak point at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad