Cobra Kai new karate kid series on youtube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Finished this last night. Good season, but I'd say there's a small step down from season 2. Still, this is such fun television.

A couple of non spoilery observations.

-Because the show uses flashbacks so extensively, I find I have absolutely zero interest in going back to see the original movies. Every relevant scene is shown it seems.

-I think I would have described this show as a light drama initially, but it's now pretty much a full on comedy at this point. I don't think that's a bad thing. It needs to exist in this alternate universe to work. I do find the dramatic moments carry less weight now than in previous seasons though.

I'm looking forward to season 4. I hope they can maintain the momentum. I'm wondering how much from the original movies they have left to pull though.

Reactions: John Price

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Finished this last night. Good season, but I'd say there's a small step down from season 2. Still, this is such fun television.

-Because the show uses flashbacks so extensively, I find I have absolutely zero interest in going back to see the original movies. Every relevant scene is shown it seems.

-I think I would have described this show as a light drama initially, but it's now pretty much a full on comedy at this point. I don't think that's a bad thing. It needs to exist in this alternate universe to work. I do find the dramatic moments carry less weight now than in previous seasons though.

I'm looking forward to season 4. I hope they can maintain the momentum. I'm wondering how much from the original movies they have left to pull though.

I find almost no dramatic moments in this show at this point, it's just pure cheese and comedy. I think it's lost a bit from the 1st two seasons and I was challenged to get through even the 1st two of the new season, snzzzz. It was fun for the nostalgia being a fan of the original... I might finish it out but have no motivation. There are so many other good shows I need to catch up on. Other than Zabka, the acting is horrendous. I hope he gets some other roles off of this.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I thought Season 3 was far better than Season 2 (they did the right thing by taking out that Stingray sillyness), but I don't think they can get back to the nostalgic impact of Season 1. Nice try here with the Okinawa episodes - best part - but the whole Season felt like a bridge to Season 4, with no real storyline apart from the return of Miguel.

Man did they lucked out that the three returning young girls from the original movies all became gorgeous women well in their 40s (Yuna) and 50s (Kumiko and Ali).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I thought Season 3 was far better than Season 2 (they did the right thing by taking out that Stingray sillyness), but I don't think they can get back to the nostalgic impact of Season 1. Nice try here with the Okinawa episodes - best part - but the whole Season felt like a bridge to Season 4, with no real storyline apart from the return of Miguel.

Man did they lucked out that the three returning young girls from the original movies all became gorgeous women well in their 40s (Yuna) and 50s (Kumiko and Ali).

Ha. I loved the Stingray silliness, really brought me back to the 80s era where there was always one outlandish funny character in movies. For me personally I would probably go season 2, 1 then 3. I just found this current season a bit campy with all the flashbacks and almost filler to bang out more episodes so they could save the tournament for season 4.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I mentioned a few months ago how the show could not have happened if the main characters hadn't aged so well. Macchio and Zabka are believable as badass karate masters whose characters are around 50, even though the actors are in their mid/late 50s. Kove (Kreese) is a powerful villain in his 70s. And as you mentioned, Shue and Tamlyn Tomita (Kumiko) look great. Tomito, in particular, is damn sexy.

Nice to see people my age still cast in these roles.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I mentioned a few months ago how the show could not have happened if the main characters hadn't aged so well. Macchio and Zabka are believable as badass karate masters whose characters are around 50, even though the actors are in their mid/late 50s. Kove (Kreese) is a powerful villain in his 70s. And as you mentioned, Shue and Tamlyn Tomita (Kumiko) look great. Tomito, in particular, is damn sexy.

Nice to see people my age still cast in these roles.

To his credit, Daniel-san looked a lot more comfortable in this last season than he did in season 1 (where his karaté chops chops looked almost as fake as Sigourney Weaver's in Daredevil's second season)

Reactions: tacogeoff

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I only recently realized the actor who plays Stingray was the lead in that Richard Jewell movie by Clint Eastwood.

Based on his recent resume, he's probably the most successful actor on the show,with some other roles on fairly critically acclaimed films (Blackkklansmen, Da 5 Bloods, Late Night).

I actually really enjoyed the silliness of his role. The season 2 brawl remains to me as the highlight of the show so far, and his little bit in that might be the most memorable.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
The fight scenes are mostly cheese, but I don't tend to let that put me off. I still like it a lot and the story is plenty intriguing.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

I stopped like 1/3 into the new season to go back and rewatch parts 2 and 3 as it had been a long time since I’d seen either. I felt like it was very much worth it. The show is definitely written by people who are attentive to the details of all the movies. Plus, as a person enjoying the show a lot, it was another couple of nights that I got to linger about in the KK universe.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
oh yes, that’s right, thanks.
I wonder what happened in real life though, for her to be off the show. I liked her character. One of the few teens I didn’t mind.

I likes her character. She's one that you could see why she'd be so loyal to cobra kai without being a lunatic.

That said, I don't know where she'd fit in this past season, so, fine with them cutting her and bringing her in when they have a legitimate storyline.

Reactions: the squared circle

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Next time I get locked into a serious binge watch, I really need to pay more attention to the episode count. I watch the last episode thinking it was the penultimate, so at the end it really left me wanting more.

Good season though.

Reactions: donghabs98

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't call it "bad programming", maybe bad acting, but I think that it's well written and very entertaining especially if you're old enough to have watched all the movies when they first aired.

I was born in 1984 and watched the movies when I was a kid (7-8 years old) so in the early 90s. Still works. The nostalgia factor is the strongest aspect of this show but I can appreciate it for what it is. This isn't like Wonder Woman 1984 where the setting of the 80s is just a gimmick. It doesn't add to the story at all in that movie, whereas this show is based on actual 80s movies so the flashbacks (like season 1 with Johnny) work really well.

My favourite thing about season 3 is that they got the Japanese actors to reprise their role. Not just Chozen and Kumiko but even the little girl who rang the ball in the storm. I found out later that she became an actress in Japan so it wasn't as much of a stretch as I initially thought but how many people in the west know this about her?

I thought the Okinawa episodes were done really well, and the Kreese backstory really adds to the story. And Ali's return didn't feel forced. There was some talk that she'd return as the surgeon operating on Miguel but that would have been too convenient. Instead, Ali visits her parents for Christmas who still live there. It makes a ton of sense. And they waited until episode 8 to introduce her character which I like as well because it shows that they don't rely on her to carry the story.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Ending was great! Was standing up fist pumping! Looking forward to season 4.
I just finished season 3 and I'm not sure what you mean, there was no fight won or lost, nothing exciting just 2 dojos forming an alliance to possibly win next season. I am looking forward to next season, but I didn't like how they ended this season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If they could bring Dutch back... he was a legit psycho and he’s currently incarcerated... I’d love that.

A hardened criminal that pairs back up with his old unhinged sensei... that would be a really bad ass story line.

Chad McQueen retired from acting, but maybe they could talk him into coming back.

I bet Hillary Swank could be involved also... she does work with Netflix anyway I believe... and she has a connection to the original movies through Mr Miyagi.

Edit: Came across an article this morning and one of the writers suggested Dutch could be in the show, which is why they keep mentioning him. Apparently McQueen's schedule hasn't line up yet.

While speaking to Entertainment Weekly in 2019, one of Cobra Kai’s co-creators and executive producers, Josh Heald, explained Dutch was not featured in “Take a Right” due to McQueen’s lack of availability.

“We actually talked to Chad. Schedules were such that it wasn’t feasible for him to join us this time around,” said Heald.

He went on to say that McQueen could reprise his role as Dutch on the show, stating,
[W]e certainly mentioned his character being alive and in a very particular place on purpose. We could perhaps visit that story another time.​

Why Was Dutch Not in Cobra Kai? | Heavy.com

Last edited:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I binged s1 and s2 over the weekend. It's been a long time since I can remember a show as good as this. Going to get Netflix for S3 and watch more today.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad