Cobra Kai new karate kid series on youtube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, the actor is not interested. And did Silver even know Dutch? Mike Barnes makes way more sense.

No as I found out he just wants to keep racing, so guess he isn’t even interested in a cameo.

Mike Barnes is the only real villain left that we haven’t seen, and he did know Terry Silver so it makes sense.

I just wanted to see Dutch come back, but ya, he would be on Johnny’s side so, obviously my idea won’t work.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Yeah, that's the part that made no sense... :)

It’s true. I mean it’s not like any of her music was affiliated with the Cobra Kai/Karate Kid universe.

How do you go from playing Joe Esposito’s “You’re The Best” during the original ‘84 film’s tournament montage…to this bullshit??

It was out of place and frankly… draws your attention from the tournament.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Complaining about... Carrie Underwood? Really? Guys... come on!

It is EXPLAINED in the show why she shows up - her husband is a client of the president of the committee. They even FORESHADOWED a celebrity guest at the tournament during their meeting to change the rules.

Her performance/song might not really fit the universe, so she maybe was a bad choice, but saying it makes no sense when they CLEARLY explained it on the show is weird.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Complaining about... Carrie Underwood? Really? Guys... come on!

It is EXPLAINED in the show why she shows up - her husband is a client of the president of the committee. They even FORESHADOWED a celebrity guest at the tournament during their meeting to change the rules.

Her performance/song might not really fit the universe, so she maybe was a bad choice, but saying it makes no sense when they CLEARLY explained it on the show is weird.

I think people mean it makes no sense in real life why they wrote her into the show.

My only guess is they think her SNF theme song pumped people up for games, but it’s extremely cringy to me and I have to mute the start of SNF for my own sanity.

I assume it’s the idea someone threw out that they were trying to bring in the younger generation with her music, but that’s strange considering this is a series that relies so heavily on nostalgia.

They were making this episode very female centric which I liked, so I get the idea of swapping out Joe Esposito for a female singer, just wish it wasn’t someone who made my ears bleed.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think people mean it makes no sense in real life why they wrote her into the show.

My only guess is they think her SNF theme song pumped people up for games, but it’s extremely cringy to me and I have to mute the start of SNF for my own sanity.

I assume it’s the idea someone threw out that they were trying to bring in the younger generation with her music, but that’s strange considering this is a series that relies so heavily on nostalgia.

They were making this episode very female centric which I liked, so I get the idea of swapping out Joe Esposito for a female singer, just wish it wasn’t someone who made my ears bleed.

Their mistake, IMO, was to choose an artist that is not really that relevant to the crowd they were trying to target with that guest spot.

It was clearly for the newer viewers and not for the nostalgia crowd.

Within the story, it made perfect sense. From a marketing standpoint, I can understand the skepticism.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Their mistake, IMO, was to choose an artist that is not really that relevant to the crowd they were trying to target with that guest spot.

It was clearly for the newer viewers and not for the nostalgia crowd.

Within the story, it made perfect sense. From a marketing standpoint, I can understand the skepticism.

I wish they had gotten Michelle Joy from Cannons, who perfectly blend an 80s sound with modern music… and they do a lot of 80s cover songs for fun.

She would have been so ideal for what they were trying to do and been able to appease people with old school nostalgia, but given it that modern kick for young people also.

So they could have left it female centric still and had Michelle sing “Best Around”.

With her talent and love for 80s music, she would have done that scene so much justice and knocked it out of the park.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
The most realistic part of the show was Carrie Underwood. When the host started introducing the singer I thought "Here we go ....they're gonna bring in a has been from the 80s to keep the nostalgia dose to the max ...sigh", but no, the choice of singer was totally random which is how it happens in life. Her husband is Mike Fisher by the way, I find it surprising no one talked about it here.

The biggest flaw to me is the actress playing Sam being so unskillful at karate. She doesn't look like an athlete whatsoever and she of course doesn't move like one either. Robby saves the show.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The most realistic part of the show was Carrie Underwood. When the host started introducing the singer I thought "Here we go ....they're gonna bring in a has been from the 80s to keep the nostalgia dose to the max ...sigh", but no, the choice of singer was totally random which is how it happens in life. Her husband is Mike Fisher by the way, I find it surprising no one talked about it here.

The biggest flaw to me is the actress playing Sam being so unskillful at karate. She doesn't look like an athlete whatsoever and she of course doesn't move like one either. Robby saves the show.

Oh yeah, she is terrible. When she "runs", she looks "picked last in phys ed. class" unathletic :laugh:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I just discovered this show, and can't believe I haven't given it a shot before (In a way that's an excellent thing, since it allowed me to binge watch the entirety of 4 seasons within a week!).

Cobra Kai is that good. It honestly has no business being a quality, nostalgic inducing, cognizant introspective on self destruction/regret/and the challenging path towards redemption, but IT IS!

I watched all 3 movies more than a decade and a half ago as a kid, so I knew the basics of the series, but this is actually a warm, thoughtful, carefully crafted addition that honestly improves on the films by quite a margin. I was sold minutes into the first episode in season 1 when they showed Johnny go through the Rocky 4 montage of driving in his vehicle at night when making the key decision to train Miguel. I was dying in laughter!

Having Johnny as a complete failure as an adult full of self destructive tendencies and regret, due to being haunted by one fight as a teen, was a stroke of genius as the main character. I find myself viewing him as the main protagonist ( he should be, but the show divulged from his main viewpoint in seasons 3-4 by quite a bit) who through meeting Miguel and his mother, strives to make up for his mistakes in the past in attempting to mentor a kid he cares about as a second son, in order to prevent him from succumbing to the same thing. Through it he finds love (Carmen), and though he's still stumbling quite a bit, is well on his way to doing something important. He and Miguel are the heart of the show, Miguel is the light in Johnny ´s life and it should stay like this. The show is about Johnny and Miguel helping each other and that´s why it worked in the first place. I don´t need Johnny vs. Miguel for some reason if it goes down that route in season 5. If somebody can understand how Johnny feels about Robby and have some empathy, it should be Miguel, and though Johnny was drunk when Miguel told him he loved him, and said Robby's name instead right after Robby condescendingly reproached Miguel about their relationship, Miguel has to know what he means to Johnny.

Some highlights from seasons 1-3 include:

-Everything in Season 1 with Johnny

-The dinner scene with Carmen, Daniel, Amanda where they were snarking at one another.

-The tournament at the end of season 1 with Miguel winning, but Johnny realizing what it was turning him into.

-Hawk/Eli being a complete asshole due to creating and upholding his fake identity to overcome the demons of his past...and realizing it while turning back to Johnny/Daniel.

-The school fight in season 2 was INSANE, from the 30 something neckbeard Stringray to Miguel's ending which was honestly a shock to me.
Kumiko in season 3 was a revelation and a half, she still looks a complete smokeshow...my God was she HOT for a older woman, glad they didn't have Johnny cheat and be with her despite her being a "free agent". Though they still have great chemistry. CHOZEN projecting his old attitude and identity and scaring Johnny, beating him to a pulp as he's still be training over all these years, until the HONK!

-Johnny discovering the internet and his first search being "hot babes" and the look on his face LMAO

-Love how the show runners know when to drop some shade on how surreal some of the movie plot points were, yet perfectly thread it into the current story/character arcs. Terry Silver perfectly exemplifies this: "I was warped so high on cocaine in the 80's that I spend time terrorizing a kid over a karate tournament...it sounds ridiculous just saying it out loud!"
biggrin.gif

Regarding season 4:

-Johnny and Daniel training together, culminating in their fight was amazing. The fact they both knocked each other down to a draw at the exact same time was perfect, they are each others peers. I also loved that despite Johnny accidentally tweeting it only the students really cared as they showed up and filmed it, and it wasn't a huge live streaming event over the whole valley. Indicating that no one else cares about a highschool rivalry more than 30 years ago except those 2 and the students they dragged into it. LOVED Daniel running up to the announcer near the end of the tournament and correcting him to say "Correction...ALSO TWO TIME CHAMPION Johnny Lawrence", with Sam asking for his help too it seems this should be it for any major altercation between Johnny/Daniel, as that would be huge for Johnny.

-Johnny amidst his redemption still self destructing, getting ambushed by Terry Silver and crushed, resulting in him getting drunk and saying 'I love you too Robby" when Miguel told him he loved him after initially coming to ask for advice was painful...you could see it coming but it was still a gut punch...well acted. And his speech to Miguel during the final fight was a complete catastrophe, and he knows it. He's going to fix his mess by looking for him in Mexico (with Robbie?)...hope Miguel's father is just a Sicario and not some character from the past...as I said I firmly believe the show is about Johnny and Miguel.

-Smart to have Eli win, he's a strong fighter, and everyone who made the finals bar Tori had the fusion of Cobra Kai/Miyagi-Do karate. It captures Eli's redemption arc after he went astray a bit, and leaves Robbie to win the next tournament with Johnny in his corner. Miguel after just learning to walk again and gaining a few pounds ( loved how they acknowledged that as well ) was never going to win, and would have looked off doing so.

-Tori learning that Silver paid off the ref was a gut punch, she is such a wonderfully crafted grey character who has a very difficult home life and is thus under a ton of stress, is acting out through the only avenue/option she can...Kreese.

-Devon Lee is awesome and needs more screentime next season, loved her debate cameo of ripping the book about the death penalty.

-Terry Silver foreshadowing how he set-up Kreese by teaching the students everyone has a weakness and to make the enemy pretend to think they know what your move is, was genius. He's fantastic as the villain, and only Chozen can take him on next season. Though If Johnny wasn't concussed after the kick I think he might have had a shot at it.

-CHOZEN coming back at the end was fantastic! He's the go-around between Johnny/Daniel being unable to teach, and will definitely go a round with Terry Silver! Who himself will 100% call MIKE FREAKING BARNES! My prediction for season 5: Chozen vs Terry Silver in a epic match, and Daniel vs Barnes where Barnes is winning and beating him down due to still doing karate all these years, until Johnny steps in at the last second and saves him in front of everyone.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I just discovered this show, and can't believe I haven't given it a shot before (In a way that's an excellent thing, since it allowed me to binge watch the entirety of 4 seasons within a week!).

Cobra Kai is that good. It honestly has no business being a quality, nostalgic inducing, cognizant introspective on self destruction/regret/and the challenging path towards redemption, but IT IS!

I watched all 3 movies more than a decade and a half ago as a kid, so I knew the basics of the series, but this is actually a warm, thoughtful, carefully crafted addition that honestly improves on the films by quite a margin. I was sold minutes into the first episode in season 1 when they showed Johnny go through the Rocky 4 montage of driving in his vehicle at night when making the key decision to train Miguel. I was dying in laughter!

Having Johnny as a complete failure as an adult full of self destructive tendencies and regret, due to being haunted by one fight as a teen, was a stroke of genius as the main character. I find myself viewing him as the main protagonist ( he should be, but the show divulged from his main viewpoint in seasons 3-4 by quite a bit) who through meeting Miguel and his mother, strives to make up for his mistakes in the past in attempting to mentor a kid he cares about as a second son, in order to prevent him from succumbing to the same thing. Through it he finds love (Carmen), and though he's still stumbling quite a bit, is well on his way to doing something important. He and Miguel are the heart of the show, Miguel is the light in Johnny ´s life and it should stay like this. The show is about Johnny and Miguel helping each other and that´s why it worked in the first place. I don´t need Johnny vs. Miguel for some reason if it goes down that route in season 5. If somebody can understand how Johnny feels about Robby and have some empathy, it should be Miguel, and though Johnny was drunk when Miguel told him he loved him, and said Robby's name instead right after Robby condescendingly reproached Miguel about their relationship, Miguel has to know what he means to Johnny.

-The dinner scene with Carmen, Daniel, Amanda where they were snarking at one another.

-The tournament at the end of season 1 with Miguel winning, but Johnny realizing what it was turning him into.

-Hawk/Eli being a complete asshole due to creating and upholding his fake identity to overcome the demons of his past...and realizing it while turning back to Johnny/Daniel.

-The school fight in season 2 was INSANE, from the 30 something neckbeard Stringray to Miguel's ending which was honestly a shock to me.
Kumiko in season 3 was a revelation and a half, she still looks a complete smokeshow...my God was she HOT for a older woman, glad they didn't have Johnny cheat and be with her despite her being a "free agent". Though they still have great chemistry. CHOZEN projecting his old attitude and identity and scaring Johnny, beating him to a pulp as he's still be training over all these years, until the HONK!

-Johnny discovering the internet and his first search being "hot babes" and the look on his face LMAO

-Love how the show runners know when to drop some shade on how surreal some of the movie plot points were, yet perfectly thread it into the current story/character arcs. Terry Silver perfectly exemplifies this: "I was warped so high on cocaine in the 80's that I spend time terrorizing a kid over a karate tournament...it sounds ridiculous just saying it out loud!"
biggrin.gif

Regarding season 4:

-Johnny and Daniel training together, culminating in their fight was amazing. The fact they both knocked each other down to a draw at the exact same time was perfect, they are each others peers. I also loved that despite Johnny accidentally tweeting it only the students really cared as they showed up and filmed it, and it wasn't a huge live streaming event over the whole valley. Indicating that no one else cares about a highschool rivalry more than 30 years ago except those 2 and the students they dragged into it. LOVED Daniel running up to the announcer near the end of the tournament and correcting him to say "Correction...ALSO TWO TIME CHAMPION Johnny Lawrence", with Sam asking for his help too it seems this should be it for any major altercation between Johnny/Daniel, as that would be huge for Johnny.

-Johnny amidst his redemption still self destructing, getting ambushed by Terry Silver and crushed, resulting in him getting drunk and saying 'I love you too Robby" when Miguel told him he loved him after initially coming to ask for advice was painful...you could see it coming but it was still a gut punch...well acted. And his speech to Miguel during the final fight was a complete catastrophe, and he knows it. He's going to fix his mess by looking for him in Mexico (with Robbie?)...hope Miguel's father is just a Sicario and not some character from the past...as I said I firmly believe the show is about Johnny and Miguel.

-Smart to have Eli win, he's a strong fighter, and everyone who made the finals bar Tori had the fusion of Cobra Kai/Miyagi-Do karate. It captures Eli's redemption arc after he went astray a bit, and leaves Robbie to win the next tournament with Johnny in his corner. Miguel after just learning to walk again and gaining a few pounds ( loved how they acknowledged that as well ) was never going to win, and would have looked off doing so.

-Tori learning that Silver paid off the ref was a gut punch, she is such a wonderfully crafted grey character who has a very difficult home life and is thus under a ton of stress, is acting out through the only avenue/option she can...Kreese.

-Devon Lee is awesome and needs more screentime next season, loved her debate cameo of ripping the book about the death penalty.

-Terry Silver foreshadowing how he set-up Kreese by teaching the students everyone has a weakness and to make the enemy pretend to think they know what your move is, was genius. He's fantastic as the villain, and only Chozen can take him on next season. Though If Johnny wasn't concussed after the kick I think he might have had a shot at it.

-CHOZEN coming back at the end was fantastic! He's the go-around between Johnny/Daniel being unable to teach, and will definitely go a round with Terry Silver! Who himself will 100% call MIKE FREAKING BARNES! My prediction for season 5: Chozen vs Terry Silver in a epic match, and Daniel vs Barnes where Barnes is winning and beating him down due to still doing karate all these years, until Johnny steps in at the last second and saves him in front of everyone.

I don't agree with most of that, but I love the enthusiasm.

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017

biggrin.gif

Regarding season 4:

There is 0% chance this was posted from a mobile device.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
There is 0% chance this was posted from a mobile device.
:DIf I did that I'd still be typing, how often do you start typing a long reply and accidentally delete it when correcting something?

I know it was long, but I had some time off work and just crushed the show, which is a first in a long long time for me. I enjoyed it that much. It's great "poor" television imho.

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017
:DIf I did that I'd still be typing, how often do you start typing a long reply and accidentally delete it when correcting something?

I know it was long, but I had some time off work and just crushed the show, which is a first in a long long time for me. I enjoyed it that much. It's great "poor" television imho.
The mobile version of this site has randomly refreshed the page on me and deleted posts that were akin to Biblical verses. So many beautiful posts, lost, never to be heard from again.

I agree with everything you said though, it’s a great show and all the corny bits and pieces mesh wonderfully, like little kernels put together on some sort of cob like contraption.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad