Coaching is a serious problem.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I won't even repeat my arguments, because I'm tired. All is fine in Habs land, we won two games woot woot.

Let's enjoy putrid D-zone play, that's good as learning experience for them. I'm sure our kids' confidence grow very tall in that system.

Is your arguments that we have a good defensive squad that should be able to be as good as those from other team and are ready to be a PO team?

Is Barron a top 6 NHLer D? Cause he is now.
Is Hutson a veteran that won't do any mistakes?
Did we just lose our best d for the last 4 games.....which shouldn't be our best D at his age to begin with ?
Is Savard a Top 4 D on any team in the league....cause he is here.

Logan Mailloux has 5 NHL games experience
Lane Hutson has 10 NHL games experience
Jayden Struble has 60 NHL games experience
Justin Barron has 101 NHL games experiecne
Arber Xhekaj has 102 NHL experiecne

What in the hell are expecting from this young defensive squad?
Being Flawless ?

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
Did Matheson kill puppies in another life?

Matheson is playing like a top pairing D since he got here. He is close to a point a game, kills penalties, plays against the toughest match up, logs 25 minutes - yet if you listen to some of the posters, he's a scrub.

I don't get it...
Matheson is playing like a top pairing D on the 32th worst D in the league!!! On playoffs teams he isnt on any of the PP, isnt on the top 4 and playing below 20 minutes a game like the rest of his career.. Guhle and Hutson are already better with 10 years younger. He's doing the best he can but hes in the wrong chair big time.

Also please give me a better argument than his 60 points last year. Is Bouchard or Hyman top players at their position for having a good season with the leagues 2 best players on the PP? Absolutely not

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
People have short term memory though...

The general consensus in the discussions here this summer was that the team would definitely be battling for a PO spot. Then everyone got blown away with the trade for Laine! Suddenly Montreal had a top 6 with the return of Dach and the progression of Joshua Roy (forgetting that they lost Monahan...).

Even suggesting that Montreal would pick top 10 again next Spring and that they should consider trading Savard, Armia or Evans at the deadline would get you ridiculed..

Funny how things can change quickly!
Cuz everyone was still drunk on Demidov and had an over abundance of positivity.

For a PO spot we had needed absolutely everything to go our way, and no one was being realistic about the probability of that outcome.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The general consensus in the discussions here this summer was that the team would definitely be battling for a PO spot.
Was it though? I do not recall this at all.

I do remember some people saying that it could be possible in theory if key players took a step in their development and that the Atlantic isn't as strong as it is perceived to be. But, I do not remember anything resembling a consensus at all.

Last edited:

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
Was it though? I do not recall this at all.

I do remember some people saying that it could be possible in theory is key players took a step in their development and that the Atlantic isn't as strong as it is perceived to be. But, I do not remember anything resembling a consensus at all.
the usual homers thought they would, the rest of us never thought were were close to a PO team lol.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
the usual homers thought they would, the rest of us never thought were were close to a PO team lol.
"the usual homers" is not a consensus though.

I think most people believed that the team would be moving out of the lottery ranking and into the bubble area. And a few of us mused (including myself) that if certain players hit the next step in their development (Dach, Slaf, Guhle) along with addition of Laine that POs wouldn't seem like such a farfetched idea

Jul 6, 2016
Matheson is playing like a top pairing D on the 32th worst D in the league!!! On playoffs teams he isnt on any of the PP, isnt on the top 4 and playing below 20 minutes a game like the rest of his career.. Guhle and Hutson are already better with 10 years younger. He's doing the best he can but hes in the wrong chair big time.

Also please give me a better argument than his 60 points last year. Is Bouchard or Hyman top players at their position for having a good season with the leagues 2 best players on the PP? Absolutely not
Hyman was a glitch in the Matrix….

• Haha
Reactions: Trenbohabs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's kind of ironic to say Matheson's points don't mean much because players like Bouchard and Hyman have a lot of points because they play with the league's best players on a team with one the best PPs. You do realize Matheson doesn't play with McDavid or Draisaitl level talents or on a team with good PP that he could leech off of right?

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
"the usual homers" is not a consensus though.

I think most people believed that the team would be moving out of the lottery ranking and into the bubble area. And a few of us mused (including myself) that if certain players hit the next step in their development (Dach, Slaf, Guhle) along with addition of Laine that POs wouldn't seem like such a farfetched idea

We didn't fix the blueline, or the 3rd 4th lines... the goaltending was still going to be sus, and we still had no experienced assistant to replace Super Burrows. How were we going to be better? Laine? Sure maybe we score another 30 goals, but he isn't going to move the needle either way.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
We didn't fix the blueline, or the 3rd 4th lines... the goaltending was still going to be sus, and we still had no experienced assistant to replace Super Burrows. How were we going to be better? Laine? Sure maybe we score another 30 goals, but he isn't going to move the needle either way.
-We have Lane Hutson this year.
-We have Kirby Dach this year
-Our PP/PK are legit this year so far.
-Heineman adds another dimension to our 4th that we didn't have last year.
-Our 3rd line has been our most consistent line, and both our "vets" are playing solid hockey.
-We lost by the most 1 goal games in the league. Laine, Dach, and Hutson will move the needle in the regard.

I'm not saying we're going to make the playoffs, especially with the inconsistency of our D, and you're right that our goaltending is suspect. We definitely have question marks on this roster.

BUT

If we can stay healthy, we can be a much better team this season.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Is your arguments that we have a good defensive squad that should be able to be as good as those from other team and are ready to be a PO team?

Is Barron a top 6 NHLer D? Cause he is now.
Is Hutson a veteran that won't do any mistakes?
Did we just lose our best d for the last 4 games.....which shouldn't be our best D at his age to begin with ?
Is Savard a Top 4 D on any team in the league....cause he is here.

Logan Mailloux has 5 NHL games experience
Lane Hutson has 10 NHL games experience
Jayden Struble has 60 NHL games experience
Justin Barron has 101 NHL games experiecne
Arber Xhekaj has 102 NHL experiecne

What in the hell are expecting from this young defensive squad?
Being Flawless ?
I believe MSL needs help on Defense teaching, but yeah, why would a star forward player with pee-wee coaching experience needs better support teaching Defense system to a quad younger than Iphone invention. The insanity really. It's not like the problems in defense started by day one when Guhle/Savard/Matheson were in the lineup, and obviously the various vets we have on forward cannot help with that system, it's all on the youngish D guys for sure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think I remember one or two poster predicting the playoffs.

Most people are predicting 80-90 points. Improving on last year but not making the postseason. I have us around 85 points. I don’t think that’s unrealistic.

Reactions: Gaud and Andy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Cuz everyone was still drunk on Demidov and had an over abundance of positivity.

For a PO spot we had needed absolutely everything to go our way, and no one was being realistic about the probability of that outcome.
Not necessarily… everyone simply assumes Atlantic division is stacked w powerhouses when in reality many are trending downwards like TBay and Bos combined with maturity of some of the other traditional also rans like Sens, Det and Buf. All this leads to much more parity which is presently on display w the standings.

I don’t see any team running away w Atlantic this year and 5-teams from the division qualifying for the playoffs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The D is a collection of rookies and youngsters. We knew it would be ugly and it will be.

The 3rd and 4th lines don’t really need fixing. They’re fine for what they are. Goaltending? So far so good.

The big question mark is Kirby Dach and the second line. If he can regain his form that’s a huge plus. His recent games are encouraging. Hutson will help and CC seems to be back.

Put it altogether and I think we’ll improve. Not enough to make the playoffs but that’s okay.

Reactions: PhysicX

Gaud

May 11, 2017
People have short term memory though...

The general consensus in the discussions here this summer was that the team would definitely be battling for a PO spot. Then everyone got blown away with the trade for Laine! Suddenly Montreal had a top 6 with the return of Dach and the progression of Joshua Roy (forgetting that they lost Monahan...).

Even suggesting that Montreal would pick top 10 again next Spring and that they should consider trading Savard, Armia or Evans at the deadline would get you ridiculed..

Funny how things can change quickly!

When the habs management said their goal is to be in the mix, i took that to be "better than last year, but dont expect being in teh playoffs". That being said, I think a team can both make a run for the playoffs and be in the bottom 10.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I never said Matheson was a Norris candidate, but I was responding to your assertion that he isn't even a top 4 - why is absurd by any metric.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The D is a collection of rookies and youngsters. We knew it would be ugly and it will be.

The 3rd and 4th lines don’t really need fixing. They’re fine for what they are. Goaltending? So far so good.

The big question mark is Kirby Dach and the second line. If he can regain his form that’s a huge plus. His recent games are encouraging. Hutson will help and CC seems to be back.

Put it altogether and I think we’ll improve. Not enough to make the playoffs but that’s okay.
The vet line is doing great, which is surprising and refreshing to me. Main issue now is figuring out the compositions of lines 1-2 and 4.

Slaf or Dach - My vote is for Slaf to remain on the first, and give Dach the center responsibilities back.

Dach with whom until Laine returns, if ever this season? Armia doesn't fit at all, Newhook is not ideal either. Is it Roy's spot to be recalled into later this season? Newhook-Dach-Roy or Heineman maybe...

Anderson-Evans-Gallagher you keep intact for now

Fourth line... Kapanen should go back to Europe, he's not ready. Armia and Heineman on the wings with Dvorak centering?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
So back to back wins = coaching fixed = thread closed?

Probably should keep it out for next time haha
MSL is all about philosophy and creativity - letting people express themselves, surpassing expectations in areas that would normally be stifled by traditional roles imposed by regular coaches.

It's not going to work for all. It's not going to make sense to a lot of TV experts. Hell , it doesnt always make sense to me. He is inexperienced and it shows, but i think there are areas where improvement shows too - look at the powerplay. I think Evans is doing way better than ever.

Yeah I felt bad for Drouin...and they put him at center
in a way i can blame management for unrealistic expectations - we basically gave away a first pairing D for a Center/winger.. its not unreasonable to expect a 1C in return.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think I remember one or two poster predicting the playoffs.

Most people are predicting 80-90 points. Improving on last year but not making the postseason. I have us around 85 points. I don’t think that’s unrealistic.
pretty much.. i really cant see "being in the mix" meaning anything else than "close but no cigar" to management.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
pretty much.. i really cant see "being in the mix" meaning anything else than "close but no cigar" to management.
Kinda like Philly last season.

I don't see Habs making da playoffs. I want them to because I am sick of the "rebuild" but they're not gonna. And I think the main reason is because coaching stuff is trying to fit the square peg into a round hole. They do NOT have the right players to play that hybrid whatever system. as everyone says, they have a ton of rookies and rookies need "simple and structured".

Reactions: Gaud

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Probably should keep it out for next time haha
MSL is all about philosophy and creativity - letting people express themselves, surpassing expectations in areas that would normally be stifled by traditional roles imposed by regular coaches.

It's not going to work for all. It's not going to make sense to a lot of TV experts. Hell , it doesnt always make sense to me. He is inexperienced and it shows, but i think there are areas where improvement shows too - look at the powerplay. I think Evans is doing way better than ever.

in a way i can blame management for unrealistic expectations - we basically gave away a first pairing D for a Center/winger.. its not unreasonable to expect a 1C in return.
Yeah but he was a winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad