Coaching is a serious problem.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Marty has the team playing the modern game for the first time ever. It's just not a very good team.
This. We have one good line, and exactly one defenseman who is decent at actual defense. Add a journeyman starting goaltender, and this is the result. I highly doubt any coach in the league could get much more out of this roster.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
This. We have one good line, and exactly one defenseman who is decent at actual defense. Add a journeyman starting goaltender, and this is the result. I highly doubt any coach in the league could get much more out of this roster.
It’s about how they are losing!

Reactions: Paddyjack

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
MSL has MTL playing the modern game. That just stinks of arrogance that a guy who has never coached at any level above handing out orange slices, has somehow created a new way that is the recipe to success that no other coach has come up with in 100 yrs of coaching. He isnt modernizing anything

MSL from all accounts has been a great communicator and we will assume its true as cant dispute that. He seems genuinely good with players but something is clearly lacking on getting getting the messages in schemes

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
MSL has MTL playing the modern game. That just stinks of arrogance that a guy who has never coached at any level above handing out orange slices, has somehow created a new way that is the recipe to success that no other coach has come up with in 100 yrs of coaching. He isnt modernizing anything

MSL from all accounts has been a great communicator and we will assume its true as cant dispute that. He seems genuinely good with players but something is clearly lacking on getting getting the messages in schemes
It could also be that his "concepts" simply don't work at the NHL level and there is nobody to steer him in the right direction. That's mngt failure really. So Hughes has to carry as much blame as MSL for this.

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Modern game, lol.

What’s that, get outshot 2 to 1, spend minutes chasing guys around in your end while they play keep away, and losing every night. If this is modern game, shit I’ll take MT back (just threw up a little).

Coach Bombay is full of quotes and nothing more. He was a PR hire, no other way you hire a Pee Wee coach, they got the media to buy the BS but the shine is starting to wear off.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Modern game, lol.

What’s that, get outshot 2 to 1, spend minutes chasing guys around in your end while they play keep away, and losing every night. If this is modern game, shit I’ll take MT back (just threw up a little).

Coach Bombay is full of quotes and nothing more. He was a PR hire, no other way you hire a Pee Wee coach, they got the media to buy the BS but the shine is starting to wear off.
👍

It could also be that his "concepts" simply don't work at the NHL level and there is nobody to steer him in the right direction. That's mngt failure really. So Hughes has to carry as much blame as MSL for this.
Yep these so called concepts are not working

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It’s about how they are losing!
This. If they were on a losing streak of 5-6 games but battling every nights, playing their hardest, nobody would say anything nor suggest MSL is a problem.

But they look disinterested, they run around in their zone, opposing team stay there circling half the game, and they get outshot 2 to 1 every night.

Heck, I was watching Laval the other night, and the contrast was huge. In fact, I would not be surprised if Laval would beat them.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm sure we could squeeze out more wins if we had everyone collapse in front of the net to block shots, just making safe dump and chase style of game where throwing it off the glass is the most common type of zone exit. It's just doing that means sacrificing your offence and then trying to win by having better special teams.

But that's not a style of play that will lead a team to being a contender, it's a style you play when you are trying to just make the playoffs and hoping that anything can happen. Personally that's not what I want to see from the team even if it would lead to more points in the standings in the short term.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I'm sure we could squeeze out more wins if we had everyone collapse in front of the net to block shots, just making safe dump and chase style of game where throwing it off the glass is the most common type of zone exit. It's just doing that means sacrificing your offence and then trying to win by having better special teams.

But that's not a style of play that will lead a team to being a contender, it's a style you play when you are trying to just make the playoffs and hoping that anything can happen. Personally that's not what I want to see from the team even if it would lead to more points in the standings in the short term.
Are you seriously saying the style they are playing is the path to being a contender 😂

How is getting hemmed in their zone for extended periods of time, being cycled to death, outshot 2 to 1, getting physically beat up the path to being a contending team, absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

I agree somewhat, I guess. That style is also not good for the development of young players, and makes them play timid and tentative, scared to make mistakes. I’d much rather have this, even if it gets ugly and there are growing pains. I think that’s the rationale of management as well, so I believe MSL will be around for the foreseeable future, even if things get bad in terms of results/points/wins. We did the bubble team thing for 30 years, people need to have some patience.

Reactions: Sorinth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad