Coaching is a serious problem.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Guys...those who don't think Marty has a structure, wrong, he does, but it's stupid.

He wants players to play man on man until a bit inside the blue line then collapse into a zone defense.

It's stupid because players are ambivalent about supporting their mates along the boards 10 feet inside the blueline, thus losing possession battles....and then collapse into zone defense, prolonging us getting trapped inside our zone.

Just watch the games....I wasn't aware of it until the Pens game and then confirmed it in the Kings game.

Marty biggest issue is he doesn't have experience to know his players and systems limitation. He's learning on the job...and at our win/loss column.
Or maybe you’re more concerned about the short term win/loss column than he is.

It’s pretty clear the team has long term ambitions to win the cup. Sometimes the way to get there may not coincide with the best way to win now.

Does anyone doubt for example, that we would win more games playing the trap? We probably would. But is playing that system conducive to player development? Will it help us long term? I don’t think it is.

I’m not saying MSL can’t do a better job or that the only choice is man to man or the trap - just saying that they have a plan in place that’s probably more geared towards skill development.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I think a big part of the problem, which Marty has to take blame for too, is that our captain is a nonchalant player. He doesn't move his feet consistently enough, nor does he get to the dirty areas first, most of the time.

When he's skating our team is completely different. He sets the tone. Right now with dach clearly still recovering his stride from off-season surgery, it's not a good look in the top 6.

The best teams captains and #1 centers are generally 200ft beasts. Very rarely are they nonchalant in their play style. I think Marty has to push him harder, to get him to be more of a high motor guy

Reactions: OldCraig71

Jul 6, 2016
If you want to talk about team structure that’s fine. But don’t invoke Mario Tremblay and think you’ve made a point. You haven’t, they are complete opposite coaching styles. I wouldn’t want Tremblay anywhere near our young players.

Again, difficult to say on MSL because his teams are so young. How often do we see players who muff up plays they should make? It happens a lot and I’m not sure you can blame the coach for that.

There’s no doubt MSL could tighten things up and we could win more games. But the style he has right now allows younger players a little more offensive freedom. And for right now, I’m good with that.

Our key prospects have progressed since he’s taken over. To me, that’s the most important thing. I care more about about players developing than I am about the short term effects in the standings that would come if we implemented a more defensive trap style system.

Year three of a rebuild - it’s exactly what you’d expect. Young players breaking into the lineup, trying to establish themselves and making mistakes along the way. This is not a surprise.
I am not comparing Tremblay and MSL in terms of personnality. All I said is that both of them had ZERO coaching experience. But nowadays most are giving the benefit of the doubt about MSL. who seems to have no structure OR if he has one, a hard time implementing it. You know the rebuild could be shorter with an experienced coach. I do agree that MSL has still some bad cards in his hands, especially his veteran players. But being ready to start a game and be competitive should not be an option.

I think a big part of the problem, which Marty has to take blame for too, is that our captain is a nonchalant player. He doesn't move his feet consistently enough, nor does he get to the dirty areas first, most of the time.

When he's skating our team is completely different. He sets the tone. Right now with dach clearly still recovering his stride from off-season surgery, it's not a good look in the top 6.

The best teams captains and #1 centers are generally 200ft beasts. Very rarely are they nonchalant in their play style. I think Marty has to push him harder, to get him to be more of a high motor guy
So far, before this season, Suzuki was never a lazy player. What happened ?

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
I am not comparing Tremblay and MSL in terms of personnality. All I said is that both of them had ZERO coaching experience. But nowadays most are giving the benefit of the doubt about MSL. who seems to have no structure OR if he has one, a hard time implementing it. You know the rebuild could be shorter with an experienced coach. I do agree that MSL has still some bad cards in his hands, especially his veteran players. But being ready to start a game and be competitive should not be an option.

So far, before this season, Suzuki was never a lazy player. What happened ?
I’m not sure being badly outshot, spending more time chasing in your own zone than playing offense or having the puck is some kind of brilliant skill development plan. Guess it might improve skating and conditioning, lol. Neither is losing night after night.

Team looks so unorganized and I’m starting to wondering if it is wearing on guys. Some people have MSL so high on a pedestal you would think he was the next Scotty Bowman or Tarasov.

He’s great for the TANK

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

Jul 6, 2016
I’m not sure being badly outshot, spending more time chasing in your own zone than playing offense or having the puck is some kind of brilliant skill development plan. Guess it might improve skating and conditioning, lol. Neither is losing night after night.

Team looks so unorganized and I’m starting to wondering if it is wearing on guys. Some people have MSL so high on a pedestal you would think he was the next Scotty Bowman or Tarasov.

He’s great for the TANK
The more they lose, the more they are spending the youthful energy of their key young players. At some point, they gonna be fed up to lose…. IF they have a spine and pride.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The more they lose, the more they are spending the youthful energy of their key young players. At some point, they gonna be fed up to lose…. IF they have a spine and pride.
I agree.

The idea that playing well defensively is detrimental to skill development is absurd.
Perennial losing and be thumbed most nights is. Got to be taxing on guys like NS.

I laugh when I hear people say he won’t be the coach when this team is good. Then why F would he be the right guy when they are bad?

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree.

The idea that playing well defensively is detrimental to skill development is absurd.
Perennial losing and be thumbed most nights is. Got to be taxing on guys like NS.
Perennial usually refer to many years. We went in the cup final in 2021. That was 3 seasons ago. I don't know why i have to repeat that once a week.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Perennial usually refer to many years. We went in the cup final in 2021. That was 3 seasons ago. I don't know why i have to repeat that once a week.
I don’t know, maybe because they are in yr 4 of finishing at the bottom, probably lottery pick and no reason to think this team magically becomes a serious playoff contender next year.

IDK maybe, 4/5 yrs of serious losing looks perennial to me.

What in YR 6 we still going to be holding onto the fluke cup run. They were shit then too, it was fun but it was mirage.

Last edited:

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Do I think we have a "serious coaching problem"? No

Do I think the team could play with more structure? Yes

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The grass is always greener elsewhere.
We can think great things of MSL, but he is not beyond being called out either.............love the guy, but he has to get and be better the same as the players.

I think it's way too early to get riled up for nothing, but these guys have to get it together, and MSL should also be looking in the mirror.
Their play in their own end, is downright horrible. It simply has to change......that's on the coach to get the proper changes....they are 5 on 5 and they chase the guy with the puck with zero intensity......they keep it to the perimeter, until they don't and bang it's in the net.......

It is imperative they get it out of their end, better than they have been.............Fix it boys!

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
we definitely have a coaching problem, but a lot of fans love Marty. which I'm happy with in one way, it means we can probably still get another top five pick and hopefully a game breaker. plus our defenseman are very promising but everybody's going to have to give them another two to three years before they mature. so if we keep Marty for one more year I'll be okay with it. when they do bring in a qualified coach his mouth will be drooling at the talent we've assembled

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
we definitely have a coaching problem, but a lot of fans love Marty. which I'm happy with in one way, it means we can probably still get another top five pick and hopefully a game breaker. plus our defenseman are very promising but everybody's going to have to give them another two to three years before they mature. so if we keep Marty for one more year I'll be okay with it. when they do bring in a qualified coach his mouth will be drooling at the talent we've assembled
or if they end up underwhelming, ride the goalie while having the boys play a disciplined and energetic north-south dump and chase + collapsing zone D… Show up for game 1 of the season, show rispek, things of that nature. I sense a Michel return…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad