Coaching is a serious problem.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I’m pretty sure other players are getting shots.

Slaf has 7 shots, Cole has 20. You don't think there's a simple system in place that revolves around one guy right now? Pretty sure by game 20 the other teams will have their pre-game scouting all worked out.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you are going to judge MSL on playing a tight mature defensive game, give him a veteran team like the Islanders.....not the 2nd youngest team in the league with the youngest defense.

I get there is always a need to find something to freak out on but on year three of his tenure he now has the youngest team he coached. Importantly, everyone under 25 is getting better (Dach does not count returning from such a horrific injury) and that's what really matters.

Reactions: Sorinth

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Roger Grillo better buckle up.....................MSL needs more help than he is getting. One shift last night, them were hemmed in their own zone for 4 minutes, 5 on 5..............
Maybe Grillow can put a shirt and tie on, and get behind the bench?
I mean one guy didn't have a stick so it wasn't really a 5 on 5. There's lots of things for the team needs to work on but by trying to mislead and make things look worse then they actually are you hurt the point you are trying to make.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
I mean one guy didn't have a stick so it wasn't really a 5 on 5. There's lots of things for the team needs to work on but by trying to mislead and make things look worse then they actually are you hurt the point you are trying to make.
Their in zone D coverage has been atrocious not just this year. Of the 6 games, only 1 (Sens) they weren’t hemmed in their own end continually for periods on end. There is a reason they are last in a lot of D statistics.

This isn’t a new problem.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
like many here, I have my issues with MSL, but habs are still a one line team with a rusty Dach and 3, 3rd lines.
Matheson is at best a 3 and Savard is cooked.
Xhekaj is oldest D among the rest.
In the mix, means at the bottom of the glass ready to be stirred and finished.
like leftover hot cocoa.
not playoffs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Their in zone D coverage has been atrocious not just this year. Of the 6 games, only 1 (Sens) they weren’t hemmed in their own end continually for periods on end. There is a reason they are last in a lot of D statistics.

This isn’t a new problem.
Which is exactly my point, there are plenty of examples to use so why try to mislead by saying spent 4min in their own zone at 5 on 5. It maybe factually correct but Kapanen with a broken stick means it wasn't a real 5 on 5 situation. All it does it is make you look like a hater which devalues anything you have to say even when it's something true like we've struggle in our own zone for many years.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
like many here, I have my issues with MSL, but habs are still a one line team with a rusty Dach and 3, 3rd lines.
Matheson is at best a 3 and Savard is cooked.
Xhekaj is oldest D among the rest.
In the mix, means at the bottom of the glass ready to be stirred and finished.
like leftover hot cocoa.
not playoffs
I mean they talked about being in the mix before really knowing Dach would be very rusty, that Savard would struggle, and that Laine would be injured. And honestly looking at the standings today we are in the mix, yes it's in part due to the small number of games played but not many games played works both ways, the low amount of games also means we can't jump to conclusions about players being cooked.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Which is exactly my point, there are plenty of examples to use so why try to mislead by saying spent 4min in their own zone at 5 on 5. It maybe factually correct but Kapanen with a broken stick means it wasn't a real 5 on 5 situation. All it does it is make you look like a hater which devalues anything you have to say even when it's something true like we've struggle in our own zone for many years
Except for the fact they were hemmed in the zone for about a full minute before his stick broke. A full minute, lol. Pretending this didn’t or doesn’t happen on a nightly basis is just plain ignorance. The shift was a laughable summation of this teams D zone teaching.

Like I said, this happens all the time to this team and it’s not just this season. Of the six games, 5 of them they were chasing all night. Usually badly outplayed, out chanced, and out shot.

They have zero D structure and it shows every night. Don’t know why MSL is beyond reproach especially, when this team is so bad without the puck.

A decent coach can teach a team how to play D but MSL is far from a decent coach.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Except for the fact they were hemmed in the zone for about a full minute before his stick broke. A full minute, lol.

Like I said, this happens all the time to this team and it’s not just this season.

They have zero D structure and it shows every night. Don’t know why MSL is beyond reproach especially, when this team is so bad without the puck.

A decent coach can teach a team how to play D.
There is a following that loves MSL and he can't do no wrong and there are those asking where the D structure is and why it isn't improving, why you rarely see in game adjustments etc.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Roger Grillo better buckle up.....................MSL needs more help than he is getting. One shift last night, them were hemmed in their own zone for 4 minutes, 5 on 5..............
Maybe Grillow can put a shirt and tie on, and get behind the bench?
Does that include a rookie mistake of staying on without a stick vs going to the bench for a replacement stick / player extending that shift by 2.5-3min?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Except for the fact they were hemmed in the zone for about a full minute before his stick broke. A full minute, lol.

Like I said, this happens all the time to this team and it’s not just this season.

A decent coach can teach a team how to play D.
See here's the thing, I'm not sure when the stick broke besides it being early on for those 4 minutes, so it's fully possible that we were in our zone for a full minute before the stick broke. But given you've tried to be misleading about the whole situation why should I just believe you? I don't feel like it's worth my time to find a video of the shift to figure out, so I have no idea if you are telling the truth or just being misleading again. Which is why you shouldn't be misleading in the first place, it hurts any point you actually try to make.

And I would also point out that even a full minute stuck in your own zone is pretty common, we've done that to the opposition at times and we kind of suck. By itself it's pretty meaningless, and when you look at who was on the ice, it's 3 rookies, two of them defencemen who have a combined 15 NHL games (Or 13.5 at the time of the shift) and the other 2 guys were Anderson and Dvorak two vets everybody wants gone ASAP. Like the whole situation is kind of a nothing burger where the chances NYI generated were kind of meh. So it's basically a learning experience for the young guys on the importance of making sure the puck gets out when you have the opportunity.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
There is a following that loves MSL and he can't do no wrong and there are those asking where the D structure is and why it isn't improving, why you rarely see in game adjustments etc.
How anyone can watch this team and think they are well coached defensively is just lauaghable.

Its seems like some just perpetually want another top 5 pick. If shit don’t improve soon this rebuild can easily go the sabres route.

See here's the thing, I'm not sure when the stick broke besides it being early on for those 4 minutes, so it's fully possible that we were in our zone for a full minute before the stick broke. But given you've tried to be misleading about the whole situation why should I just believe you? I don't feel like it's worth my time to find a video of the shift to figure out, so I have no idea if you are telling the truth or just being misleading again. Which is why you shouldn't be misleading in the first place, it hurts any point you actually try to make.

And I would also point out that even a full minute stuck in your own zone is pretty common, we've done that to the opposition at times and we kind of suck. By itself it's pretty meaningless, and when you look at who was on the ice, it's 3 rookies, two of them defencemen who have a combined 15 NHL games (Or 13.5 at the time of the shift) and the other 2 guys were Anderson and Dvorak two vets everybody wants gone ASAP. Like the whole situation is kind of a nothing burger where the chances NYI generated were kind of meh. So it's basically a learning experience for the young guys on the importance of making sure the puck gets out when you have the opportunity.
Of course you wouldn’t believe it. MSL fans have their heads buried in the sand. So many excuses why this team is so bad defensively and none of them can be coaching.

If you can tell me this team doesn’t look lost in their end and/or get hemmed in on a night basis, don’t know if one can have a serious conversation. It ain’t all on the players.

Said it many times, a quality coach can teach an under manned squad (skilled) to play well without the puck, happens all the time.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How anyone can watch this team and think they are well coached defensively is just lauaghable.

Its seems like some just perpetually want another top 5 pick. If shit don’t improve soon this rebuild can easily go the sabres route.

Of course you wouldn’t believe it. MSL fans have their heads buried in the sand. So many excuses why this team is so bad defensively and none of them can be coaching.

If you can tell me this team doesn’t look lost in their end and/or get hemmed in on a night basis, don’t know if one can have a serious conversation. It ain’t all on the players.

Said it many times, a quality coach can teach an under manned squad (skilled) to play well without the puck, happens all the time.
Quality coaches absolutely can teach a decent defensive system.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They get hemmed in their zone, every night.........guys have sticks, they don't have sticks.......doesn't seem to matter. I am not making this $hit up............watch the games.
The system they play in their end, is............brutal.
Grillo? Robidas? MSL...............someone has to own it.

Does that include a rookie mistake of staying on without a stick vs going to the bench for a replacement stick / player extending that shift by 2.5-3min?
Did you watch any of the games this year??
Let's not hang the horrible dzone coverage for 6 games, on a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad