Coaching is a serious problem.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We haven't been rebuilding since 2016 , why are you changing the timeline to be up in arms and mad. If in your mind the team has been rebuilding for 8 years that's a you problem
In reality the team is 5th last in wins since 15-16. You are the one changing the timeline. You're setting an arbitrary point to fit your narrative. You could say the same exact thing about the Sabres, but would you?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In reality the team is 5th last in wins since 15-16. You are the one changing the timeline. You're setting an arbitrary point to fit your narrative. You could say the same exact thing about the Sabres, but would you?
Sabres actually were actually in rebuild mode from 2012 to present safe 1-2 seasons…

Just because Habs weren’t winning does not mean they were actively rebuilding

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What steps has the GM taken, really?

Laine is the only NHL player he's added since trading for Matheson?
Are you for real?

Let’s blame Hugo for the Roy trade too.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sabres actually were actually in rebuild mode from 2012 to present safe 1-2 seasons…

I don't care about the term rebuild. It's just an excuse for a subpar product that yhe fans gobble up. Finishing 3rd while trying really hard (adding Dwight King) or finishing 5th by trading away Jeff Petry yields the same end result.

Are you for real?

Let’s blame Hugo for the Roy trade too.
So has he added someone else that I can't remember or am I right?

Lets absolve Hugo because they've been here X-Y (wtv fits the excuse you're making.)

This team is bad and it has been bad for a whole f***ing decade and it needs to be good, now. If it's not, it's a failure.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What steps has the GM taken, really?

Laine is the only NHL player he's added since trading for Matheson?
Not signing any of the bozo contracts from last FA frenzy and adding Laine are both, in their own way, steps toward respectability. Some tankoholics here were furious at the notion of acquiring Laine (and getting in the way of Joshua Roy's development -- ha!) But there wasn't any room to add mediocre or average or median NHL players to the roster. They could've shuffled Savard for someone else -- but it's not a winning trade. Matheson can't be moved until his replacement is in hand, etc. I think the roster was set in a good enough way.

And all that aside, the off-season is over -- it's not HuGo's time to shine, it's the players and coaches' time to show some improvement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don’t know if it the lack of a system or the players just not playing it.

Every player has been in a system their entire lives and knows how to play multiple systems. So I don’t think it’s that. Rather it seems like the execution seems way off. I can’t remember the last time I saw so many bad passes. Add a horrible face off percentage and you’re in a situation where not only do you not start with control, but once you get the puck, bad passing prevents you from countering and leaves you with more turnovers and less possession.

That’s what seems like the issues and may be time for Marty to get back to basics in practise and ride them a little harder. Being a player coach is one thing, but the players need to execute the plays and play harder. Personally I’d bag skate them and remind them what hard work is supposed to feel like.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t know if it the lack of a system or the players just not playing it.

Every player has been in a system their entire lives and knows how to play multiple systems. So I don’t think it’s that. Rather it seems like the execution seems way off. I can’t remember the last time I saw so many bad passes. Add a horrible face off percentage and you’re in a situation where not only do you not start with control, but once you get the puck, bad passing prevents you from countering and leaves you with more turnovers and less possession.

That’s what seems like the issues and may be time for Marty to get back to basics in practise and ride them a little harder. Being a player coach is one thing, but the players need to execute the plays and play harder. Personally I’d bag skate them and remind them what hard work is supposed to feel like.

I'm disappointed they didn't get bag skated into the ground today.

Marty might not like it, but sometimes you gotta put your foot down and say it's not acceptable; do the old school dinosaur thing.

Don't wanna move your feet in a game? Then practice is gonna be ONLY moving your feet.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I try to put myself in the position of someone who isn't executing right.

I think October 18th is far too early in the season for bag skates and punitive treatment. They need to pick up momentum and build it up. Probably best done by coaching a more tight game next one than by yelling at the players for making wrong reads. It's on MSL to tighten things up -- the term I use is "serious hockey".

Tampa Bay plays serious hockey. Florida plays serious hockey. To quote Sean Avery: "Hungry on pucks".

Reactions: BLONG7

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Also doesn't mean that we haven't had to sit through those years as fans. It's not like they magically get erased the instant the word 'rebuild' gets officially used.

The team's been bad for close to ten years and there's nothing weird about people feeling down about it, regardless of prospects.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Also doesn't mean that we haven't had to sit through those years as fans. It's not like they magically get erased the instant the word 'rebuild' gets officially used.

The team's been bad for close to ten years and there's nothing weird about people feeling down about it, regardless of prospects.

They can feel bad about it, but the concerted rebuild started when Hugo got on board. Using any other point to judge the rebuild is not the truth.

Year 3 of a rebuild isn't where we should be seeing a massive dynamic shift. Look at how long CBJ, Anaheim etc. have been in their actual rebuilds. They are still figuring it all out and in CBJ's case, look far behind us in terms of projected future outlook.

This is the rebuild we've asked for.. that means losing a lot of games, it means, taking a step, and then taking steps back, it means up and downs in team performance, in player performance, in effort, in execution.

Reactions: CHwest and SlafySZN

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't see how adding a little bit of defensive structure is harmful to a rebuilding team, I mean, the goal is to one day be a competitive winning team and good team defense is a necessity. As far as our D being young and green, that's on the people that build the roster.

If they felt the team wasn't ready to be in the mix, why put it out there? Not many fans are expecting a playoff berth from this group but they are looking very disorganized and the coaches need to find a way help the players or this gets really ugly.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Sucking at defense is exactly what rebuilding looks like. Younger players almost always struggle with the defensive side of the game. We have a young defense and still need to incorporate two more youngsters in Reinbacher and Mailloux in the future.
Not counting Savard and Matheson the ages of our defensemen on the roster right now are 20, 21, 22, 22, 23, 23 and people want consistency on defense!! Some here are seriously deluded lol.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
They can feel bad about it, but the concerted rebuild started when Hugo got on board. Using any other point to judge the rebuild is not the truth.

Year 3 of a rebuild isn't where we should be seeing a massive dynamic shift. Look at how long CBJ, Anaheim etc. have been in their actual rebuilds. They are still figuring it all out and in CBJ's case, look far behind us in terms of projected future outlook.

This is the rebuild we've asked for.. that means losing a lot of games, it means, taking a step, and then taking steps back, it means up and downs in team performance, in player performance, in effort, in execution.
Columbus is ahead on all counts. Your wylling

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The teams been bad on paper for my entire tenure on earth. Does that mean we have been rebuilding for nearly 3 decades? @Mrb1p . Was this year the last straw for you? Teams been garbage and a joke league wide for a while now. Aren't you happy we are rebuilding :)
The teams been bad for 30 years? Damn sorry I forgot everything is fine, we can be bad for another 30, totally fine.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see how adding a little bit of defensive structure is harmful to a rebuilding team, I mean, the goal is to one day be a competitive winning team and good team defense is a necessity. As far as our D being young and green, that's on the people that build the roster.

If they felt the team wasn't ready to be in the mix, why put it out there? Not many fans are expecting a playoff berth from this group but they are looking very disorganized and the coaches need to find a way help the players or this gets really ugly.

They are working on the defensive structure, but they aren't even executing a routine forecheck right now. Execution is off on all accounts, it needs to be better.

And the definition of being in the mix between the management group and the fans is clearly off. They don't think we are meaningfully a threat to make the playoffs, they just want us to be in competitive games longer in the year so that when the trade deadline comes, it shouldn't be an obvious sell anything not nailed down situation.

Columbus is ahead on all counts. Your wylling

How are they ahead on all accounts? They don't have a roster center better than Suzuki. They don't have a singular prospect as good as Demidov. They don't have a 20 year old forward at the ability of Slafkovsky.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not counting Savard and Matheson the ages of our defensemen on the roster right now are 20, 21, 22, 22, 23, 23 and people want consistency on defense!! Some here are seriously deluded lol.
The two oldest players have been the less consistent. Also how about just... adding a competent vet?

That's rocket science ain't it.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008

Defensive structure, why not now? Exactly.

What wait until they are good, yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Its not too early to teach these guys the proper way to play without the puck.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I don't think things are bad as lots of you guys are making it out to be. We're watching the growing pains of a growing team, and I feel our execution will improve as the season progresses.

Season ain't over yet.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They are working on the defensive structure, but they aren't even executing a routine forecheck right now. Execution is off on all accounts, it needs to be better.

And the definition of being in the mix between the management group and the fans is clearly off. They don't think we are meaningfully a threat to make the playoffs, they just want us to be in competitive games longer in the year so that when the trade deadline comes, it shouldn't be an obvious sell anything not nailed down situation.

How are they ahead on all accounts? They don't have a roster center better than Suzuki. They don't have a singular prospect as good as Demidov. They don't have a 20 year old forward at the ability of Slafkovsky.
You didn't just spend a whole year gassing up Lindstrom to turn around and say this lmao.

Also Fantilli exists.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I dont think Marty is a bad coach. I think he's clearly inexperienced and it's showing.

I think both he and the team would benefit from hiring an experienced assistant, or even an associate coach.
I thought for sure, they were going to get an Associate Coach this summer.............Burrows leaving was happening, not that he was an Associate Coach, but it just gave them that shot at doing so with him gone.............
Then Grillo got hired, so we will have to see if that helps them out as a staff.
It's early guys, real early.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I am not suggesting that the sky is falling but I don't see any difference in a group that has spent parts of the last three years together. We get hemmed in our zone 5v5 and sometimes it looks like a PK when it shouldn't. I believe part of it lies in a lack of physical presence. They want to play high-tempo entertaining hockey but we don't have the horses to do so. We have to play a better structure to be in games until some of our young offensive stars are ready to play meaningful roles.

I realize that it is not easy to develop players and ask them to do things they might not be comfortable doing, that's the coaches job. I don't see a checking line, just 4 lines of guys trying to create scoring chances with little in the way of structure without the puck.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I try to put myself in the position of someone who isn't executing right.

I think October 18th is far too early in the season for bag skates and punitive treatment. They need to pick up momentum and build it up. Probably best done by coaching a more tight game next one than by yelling at the players for making wrong reads. It's on MSL to tighten things up -- the term I use is "serious hockey".

Tampa Bay plays serious hockey. Florida plays serious hockey. To quote Sean Avery: "Hungry on pucks".
Good point..............hungry on pucks was LA last night, and man we were late to pretty much every puck battle.......it was brutal. Seemed like the guys were all hungover!

5 games guys...........5 games. Way too early. I look at every 10 game sequence.....hoping they get 12 pts every ten games this year.

Reactions: ReHabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad