Coaching is a serious problem.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Well I guess the fire Hughes threads will be starting soon now. Waay to early to start with these.

I understand the frustration watching this young team. Defensively they don't look great, and they allow way to many shots (last night may have been more about the goalie mind you) I don't think, outside of trying to play a trap game, there is alot coaching can do. Our D (and more than a few forwards) needs to play better without the puck. I think they are coming along, but it is still gonna take more time.

I still have faith in the group (management, coaches and players) but understand that at this point in a rebuild is where the fans do get restless. The first year or two of a rebuild is easy, expectations are super low, after that is becomes more difficult as fans expectations grow faster than player development some times.

I think we need to give MSL this year and probably next before we can really judge him on results

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Dach should help this. But he needs to find his game. He’s a huge piece of the team and we’ve been without him for so long. Without him playing at least decent hockey, we’re going to have a really long year.
For sure. I remember when Markov came back from his 2nd knee injury it took him a good 10 to 15 games before finding his game. I remember him looking pretty bad the first 10 games and people being concerned about it. In his first 13 games he had 4 assists, 0 goal and was -4 pretty atypical for Markov. If we had better depth it would not hurt as much. I never liked the Newhook trade and i'M still not convinced he is a top 6 player. I liked him as a center last year to end the season but as a winger i'm not a fan. I see him as a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Yes it's a talent issue we need better player to get in the passing lane and have an active stick! :sarcasm:

Even AHLers can finish a check or break the cycle with a hit. Pezz and Strubs not playing says it all.

Marty would never say this;

Both of those examples are lack of efforts and the dzone sitting with no pressure dates to the Julien/Ducharme era.

Habs are a lazy team who think Hockey is not a blue collar job. Only Gally/Evans/Anderson understand the blue collar job part this season. And Hutson is always cranked at 100% too.

I don't believe it's lazyness.

The forecheck sits back in anticipation on every line (this should only happen if the dmen is behind his net)

Dzone passive box protects the slot only (can be good if you have Price lvl goaltending and face a powerhouse)

Reactions: Fenwick McCorsi

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Armia on the second line is a serious problem. A healthy Dach could carry him but…
The Mario Armia meme to end last season was funny but let's be honest if we take a bigger sample size i would not even use him on a 3rd line if i was contending for a cup. There's a truck load of better 3rd liner in the league. Be patient young padawan the bad contracts are slowly coming to an end.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Forwards have a huge part to play in our D getting hemmed in , its a team sport , our top 6 is atrocious at supporting them , I guess that comes back to systems , forwards aren't covering the point properly but also aren't helping down low , basically doing nothing half the time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For sure. I remember when Markov came back from his 2nd knee injury it took him a good 10 to 15 games before finding his game. I remember him looking pretty bad the first 10 games and people being concerned about it. In his first 13 games he had 4 assists, 0 goal and was -4 pretty atypical for Markov. If we had better depth it would not hurt as much. I never liked the Newhook trade and i'M still not convinced he is a top 6 player. I liked him as a center last year to end the season but as a winger i'm not a fan. I see him as a 3rd line center.
I think he had a shot at being a first line center to be honest with you. Injuries got in the way of that unfortunately. When healthy I think he’s a solid second. If he’s your third line center then you’re a very deep team.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Don't forget that we have the worst vets in an nhl team by a mile.
Vigneault, Martin or Therrien would just install a trap defensive system that would help us a little but nothing big would happen. Let's not return to middle of the road mediocraty. I don't know who could be the best coach, Vigneault or Hartley? This new coach will work under better conditions when the 5 bad vets will be gone. Too bad he have to speak french, it's a limited choice but that's Montréal.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
Forwards have a huge part to play in our D getting hemmed in , its a team sport , our top 6 is atrocious at supporting them , I guess that comes back to systems , forwards aren't covering the point properly but also aren't helping down low , basically doing nothing half the time.
It is bizarre how nowhere so many guys are. Last night looked like they were having a throwback to Ducharme's hockey wasteland.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Mario Armia meme to end last season was funny but let's be honest if we take a bigger sample size i would not even use him on a 3rd line if i was contending for a cup. There's a truck load of better 3rd liner in the league. Be patient young padawan the bad contracts are slowly coming to an end.
I’m hopeful Roy comes back quickly. I think he’s the right guy for that spot.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I feel like MSL is the classic assistant coach that is a players coach, when comes game time I think they need another voice, they are doing way to much clear mistakes, actually I don't see any progression

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It is bizarre how nowhere so many guys are. Last night looked like they were having a throwback to Ducharme's hockey wasteland.
The board support is incredibly lack luster in our zone, id be a bit mad if I was a dman , not all on the forwards because the D need to lay the body and get a defensive stop , but what good is a defensive stop on the boards if your winger or C is not around to help with the loose puck and transition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So excuses , nice , Armia looks better than Dach lol , I'm not saying Dach isin't gonna figure it out but why throw Armia under the bus he's been fine if not good relative to expectations
I agree he hasn’t looked any worse than Dach. The difference is that I think Dach is rusty but will get better. Armia’s never going to be better than he is now.

As for ‘excuses’ the guy hasn’t played regularly since March 23. That’s a fact, not an excuse. I think he’ll be fine but he needs some time to find his legs.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I feel like MSL is the classic assistant coach that is a players coach, when comes game time I think they need another voice, they are doing way to much clear mistakes, actually I don't see any progression
I always felt like MSL was a stop gap. They did not want to coach that would ostracize young players until they were further into the rebuild like not until 2026-27.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The board support is incredibly lack luster in our zone, id be a bit mad if I was a dman , not all on the forwards because the D need to lay the body and get a defensive stop , but what good is a defensive stop on the boards if your winger or C is not around to help with the loose puck and transition
Yep, way too often last game did a D pin the forechecker with the puck on the board and the loose puck was just grabbed seconds later by another forechecker because the forwards just don't want to skate past the faceoff circles.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
With a better coach they may scrape by a bit better, maybe Jacques Martin could get us to squeak past .500 by winning many games 2-1, but Habs won't win anything in the playoffs until the gaping holes in the lteam makeup are filled.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It's a skill issue guys! :sarcasm:

1000009664.jpg

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Is it wrong to expect a team to have some sort of idea how to defend, ffs.
Sure and I'm not married to MSL, but the elephant in the room is that our bottom-9 might be the worst in the league, our Ds make too many stick skill related blunders and low IQ decisions and our goaltending is a mystery.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I watched Philadelphia last night, Michkov looked better at running a PP than our top-5 regulars. There's nothing to teach our regulars. They don't have the innate skills that take a lifetime to mature. Maybe Hutson might play that role. Maybe we'll need to wait next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad