Phillip Broberg

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I think you should wait more than 5 games to make such sweeping conclusions.
We’re also coupling it with the postseason he just had. I think its fair to roll that play into the conversation.

Not to mention the Blues are better off analytically when he is on the bench, and he's getting softer deployment than most of their other D. Didn't like losing him but a couple of secondary assists he was already back to the bench for (and a fluke goal from the boards) in a small sample size to make him out to be some sort of absolute stud 1D is pretty wild.
Let's see how the season plays out before we all start dreaming of Broberg and Norris trophies!
Straw man argument. Literally no one is talking Norris. We’re talking about living up to the contract signed. Nothing more.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Well I won't go as far as a top pairing yet. But I definitely believe he can be a #3 or #4.

But yes he just wanted to be compensated.
I was referring to Ekholm and Bouchard. That’s what the person I responded too was saying. We were talking about Broberg being good depth if they had gone down with injury.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
We’re also coupling it with the postseason he just had. I think its fair to roll that play into the conversation.

Straw man argument. Literally no one is talking Norris. We’re talking about living up to the contract signed. Nothing more.
Convenient of you to skim over everything else stated and focus in on my obvious tongue-in-cheek closing comment. Classic HF maneuver.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Convenient of you to skim over everything else stated and focus in on my obvious tongue-in-cheek closing comment. Classic HF maneuver.
The rest of it is irrelevant when your lasting remark is completely absurd and used as a trolling comment.

Edit: You also intentionally left out his defensive play. Which is part of his game.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
You may want to check the compensation schedule again. The Oilers got a second round pick for Broberg and a 3rd for Holloway. Bowman squeezed Armstrong for an extra third and a meh prospect, but those are magic beans with a slim chance of blossoming.
I did. 4-6 is 1st and 3rd. 2-4 is a 2nd. Least that's what I understand it to be.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
The rest of it is irrelevant when your lasting remark is completely absurd and used as a trolling comment.

Edit: You also intentionally left out his defensive play. Which is part of his game.
Dude what are you on about?

I watched him get cratered all playoffs in his own end, I've seen his defensive play. I get it, he's the shiny new toy and you feel compelled to defend him. I was just commenting that I think more than 5 viewings is required to make judgements on players. Settle down.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Way too early to victory lap, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his play. He is a more skilled breakout passer than I expected and obviously has great tools.

Reactions: Memento

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Dude what are you on about?

I watched him get cratered all playoffs in his own end, I've seen his defensive play. I get it, he's the shiny new toy and you feel compelled to defend him. I was just commenting that I think more than 5 viewings is required to make judgements on players. Settle down.
You sound bitter when you resort to getting and giving no actual proof of your claims. Blues are happy, you’re not it’s ok. Cheers.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He has been fantastic so far and really stood out to me last night with his great defensive play way before the beautiful pass on the OT winner. It's only been 5 games though so I am interested to see if he can keep up this high level of play.

Reactions: Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I did. 4-6 is 1st and 3rd. 2-4 is a 2nd. Least that's what I understand it to be.
No. Armstrong only gave Broberg and Holloway the maximum amount that could be given before they would be considered first/third and second round compensation, respectively (down to the exact dollar).

So, we ended up giving up our original second (which we traded a future second and the Ottawa third round pick we got from the Mathieu Joseph contract dump to the Pittsburgh Penguins for ours back from the Hayes' contract dump trade) and original third (as well as a future third and a prospect we didn't need or have room for as a sweetener) for us to poach Broberg and Holloway.

Last edited:

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
You sound bitter when you resort to getting and giving no actual proof of your claims. Blues are happy, you’re not it’s ok. Cheers.
He was 32.6 xGF% in playoffs with easier matchups. The team was over 20% better in xGF% when he was on the bench. That seems to match my statement more than spurious claims by yourself claiming I'm not accounting for his "defensive play." Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He was 32.6 xGF% in playoffs with easier matchups. The team was over 20% better in xGF% when he was on the bench. That seems to match my statement more than spurious claims by yourself claiming I'm not accounting for his "defensive play." Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
He was stapled to Nurse and cover for him pretty well in the games I watched.

Based on these comments it sounds like you are happy he is gone and in no way would be helping the Oilers D.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can someone photoshop Doug Armstrong's face onto the Vince McMahon gif?

kaitron5000-kouluve.gif

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
xGF% is a bullshit stat, but didn't the Oilers start to do better after they inserted Broberg into the lineup? I saw Ceci and Bouchard get caved in the defensive zone alot in the playoffs.......

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Another Stan Bowman masterclass move. Sign a bunch of forwards but let your promising young top 4D go for a bag of pucks when you need top 4D 🤣
Im not a fan of bowman or his hiring, but this was on Holland and Jackson at best and nothing to do woth bowman.

But nice try Good one

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
xGF% is a bullshit stat, but didn't the Oilers start to do better after they inserted Broberg into the lineup? I saw Ceci and Bouchard get caved in the defensive zone alot in the playoffs.......
Bouchard was 62.7 xGF% in playoffs. That also matches my eye test; the puck is almost always moving the right way when he (and Ekholm) are on the ice. Bouchard is a much, much more polished and effective player than Broberg is at this stage of their careers, and I don't think that is remotely debatable. Seems I have stirred awake some Blues fans who are rightfully excited with their new player. I didn't like losing him and I think he has upside, just not ready to proclaim him worth his +4M cap hit yet or make a judgement as to what he will eventually end up peaking as. Fair enough?

Reactions: bucks_oil

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Good thing the cup isn’t won on paper. But I can see you having the last word is important to you.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Another Stan Bowman masterclass move. Sign a bunch of forwards but let your promising young top 4D go for a bag of pucks when you need top 4D 🤣

If we're going by 5-game sample sizes, the Canucks are paying almost 3x as much for a forward with a fifth the number of points as Broberg. If what Bowman is giving a masterclass, then Allvin is the Michelangelo of bad management.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
a single TDL player won’t fix that blue line.

If a single TDL player won't fix our blue line then tell me again how Broberg at $4.6M would? What kind of logic is that?

The Oilers are ~$945K under the cap WITHOUT Broberg. That means the decision this summer was:

A) Sign Broberg, spend Kane's LTIR (not knowing if he'll be out all season), have zero cap at TDL and hope Broberg on his off-side is "contender top-4 ready"

VS

B) Let him walk, don't use Kane's LTIR, have $945K accrue to $4.5M at the deadline (plus Kane's LTIR if he's still projected to be out) and use that space on the best vet RD money can buy

It was definitely a rock and hard place decision and they can be blamed for putting themselves in that position, but choosing B was the only logical choice.

Reactions: mcdingdong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad