Coaching is a serious problem.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
When I see a thread bashing MSL I’m reminded of a great movie quote

Gordie: Sorry, Vern. I guess a more experienced shopper could have gotten more for your seven cents

Nearly half our forward group wouldn’t get claimed on waivers (Armia, Gally, Power Donkey & Dvo)

MSL can draw up whatever he wants on the whiteboard but can’t help a player make a tape to tape pass or turn back time. Kids are developing well and that’s what we want during a rebuild.

Maybe he’s not the answer when we turn the corner to be competitive but we will see when he has more than 7 cents to shop with

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I was wondering when the boo birds would come out.. Not worried about Marty, but I do think he should have replaced Burrows with an experienced coach.

Hutson also brings a lot of confusion because he plays like a rover as a D and with so much ice time with the Matheson injury, the other players around him need to adapt their positioning. Marty's positionless system is already complicated enough in terms of needing good on ice awareness before adding him to the equation.

Dach is rusty and isn't playing as well. Hopefully his skating hasnt been affected.

Suzuki's line is being targeted by the top defensive players while the other lines aren't performing.

Lots of stuff to worry about before thinking about the coach.

Reactions: malcb33 and zeeto

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hate to say it but he’s better than MSL. MSL should go back to Pee Wee.
No........Therrien is not better than anyone, period.

That said, we should expect every coach to develop as we do the players......5 games in and our coaches still seem to be the same old same old....but it's 5 games.

My only problem with MSL is his belief that every player can have great hockey IQ.

They can't. Some players just can't process the game that fast at NHL speeds.
This is bang on.........because he had great hockey IQ he seems to think they all do..............not even close. We have a few guys, but we have some very low IQ guys, who do try hard, but............

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I called this 2 years ago. Just need to wait out until we fire this guy and hire someone that actually will accomplish their job. The nhl is no a development league.

A bottom3 finish and firing MSL would go a longgggg way

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
No........Therrien is not better than anyone, period.

That said, we should expect every coach to develop as we do the players......5 games in and our coaches still seem to be the same old same old....but it's 5 games.

This is bang on.........because he had great hockey IQ he seems to think they all do..............not even close. We have a few guys, but we have some very low IQ guys, who do try hard, but............
Therien was an awful coach. But he got way more done with way less.
Also he “developed” the entire first Pits core ( you know like Crosby, Malkin, letang).
MSL is a guy that thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and uses sophistry to pretend he’s a philosopher or guru when in reality he was a small skilled player that made it in a time when nobody in his position could. After that he was stapled to skilled players. Idk why we are suddenly pretending he was this cerebral high level thinking player. And honestly, that didn’t even work for Gretzky as a coach.

• Haha
Reactions: ngc_5128 and zeeto

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I am actually ok with MSL. I think he is naive in certain ways, but i know i would flourish in a system that lets me "jouer ma game dans la game" (fit my style of play in the overall game he wants his players to play - his words).

What concerns me is what i am hearing from people around him. For example, KH had an interview recently where he said that MSL has to delegate more. Probably not a huge controversy, but it makes me question whether he is taking on too much by not replacing Burrows on the PP, if he maybe micromanages too much, maybe he doesnt trust the coaching staff in place, etc.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Also he “developed” the entire first Pits core ( you know like Crosby, Malkin, letang).
MSL is a guy that thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and uses sophistry to pretend he’s a philosopher or guru when in reality he was a small skilled player that made it in a time when nobody in his position could. After that he was stapled to skilled players. Idk why we are suddenly pretending he was this cerebral high level thinking player. And honestly, that didn’t even work for Gretzky as a coach.
Say what, when did he have less?

Reactions: zeeto

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He had a HOF goalie who covered up for his terrible decision making.
He didn’t develop shit. He had them dead last in analytics before he got fired. And once he was fired that team went top ten the rest of the way and won the cup.

He’s the difference between winning a cup and missing the playoffs. Very few coaches are that bad. He’s one of them. The Pens are lucky they fired him in time to save a playoff spot.
The moment Therrien came on board our development cratered. He was absolute poison. Dump and chase for PK Subban. Didn’t know how to communicate, destroyed the dressing room. Absolute worst coach we’ve ever had and that includes Claude Ruel.

As for MSL, our players have developed nicely under him. This team’s the 2nd youngest in the league - it’s not surprising we’re going to struggle. We said so at the start of the year and we’ll say it at the end. This team is unlikely to make the playoffs. It doesn’t matter who the coach is. What matters for now is that we continue to see progress from key players, I see no reason why that won’t continue to happen.

Reactions: ngc_5128

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
someone needs to tell me what system MSL is using because bloody hell nobody knows
His system is pond hockey. A lot of our fans are falling in love with his personality and forgetting that he actually needs to be able to coach. And going off of his last 3 years, he’s not very good. It’s not a small sample size anymore.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
His system is pond hockey. A lot of our fans are falling in love with his personality and forgetting that he actually needs to be able to coach. And going off of his last 3 years, he’s not very good. It’s not a small sample size anymore.

It's a rebuild man.. did you want to instill a low event New Jersey in the 90s style system, eek out a bunch of fraudulent wins and ensure that the core we picked moved from Slafkovsky to Marco Kasper, Reinbacher to Nate Danielson and Demidov to Anton Silayev?

Rebuilds take 5-8 years to get from bottom to the playoffs. We are in year 3 of the rebuild.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just admit you guys are baby's that can't handle a real rebuild. You guys are used to our rinky dinky retools and are losing patience , its ok.

So true. Looks like a lot of pining for pseudo-performances with no intention of actually competing.

A rebuild ain't a lot of fun in the beginning. Growing pains are many and the peaks and valleys exist.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
IMO, it’s time to cut MSL loose and bring in a veteran staff that can teach these guys how to play with and without the puck.

St.Louis' viability as a successful NHL coach is certainly a matter capable of question, but are we making the above decision based on 5 games, or do you think this team actually underachieved in previous seasons, so the sample is large enough?

You wouldn't want to be one of those people posting silly threads at the begining of each season, now would you?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's a rebuild man.. did you want to instill a low event New Jersey in the 90s style system, eek out a bunch of fraudulent wins and ensure that the core we picked moved from Slafkovsky to Marco Kasper, Reinbacher to Nate Danielson and Demidov to Anton Silayev?

Rebuilds take 5-8 years to get from bottom to the playoffs. We are in year 3 of the rebuild.
Learning how to play structured hockey should be part of the rebuild. This is St. Louis’s 4th season here. At what point do we actually put a little bit of expectations on what he’s doing with the players?

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
St.Louis' viability as a successful NHL coach is certainly a matter capable of question, but are we making the above decision based on 5 games, or do you think this team actually underachieved in previous seasons, so the sample is large enough?

You wouldn't want to be one of those people posting silly threads at the begining of each season, now would you?
It’s not about underachieving. It’s not about the last 5 games either.

It’s about three years in and they have no clue what to do without the puck, they have zero structure. They are a three alarm fire in their own end every night. At some point warm fuzzy feelings need to be replaced with actually coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad