Confirmed with Link: Coach Pete DeBoer Is Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So if he dismissed Pete 8-10 days before he did it would have been better? The optics aren't great but it's mostly irrelevant.

Given the fact so many players AND coaches come back it's not as if Lou's personality is a total turnoff

Last edited:

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
You have to think that this unpredictable behavior probably keeps some quality coaches away as well. It's just not good for perception sake.

It's more the lack of stability and itchy trigger finger. 14 HC tenures (including Lou) in 13 years.

If Lou was held to the kind of accountability by an owner who had the same kind of mentality as Lou in how he holds his coaches, he'd have been fired as well.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Pete still gets paid anyway. What difference does firing him a day after Christmas make?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It's more the lack of stability and itchy trigger finger. 14 HC tenures (including Lou) in 13 years.

If Lou was held to the kind of accountability by an owner who had the same kind of mentality as Lou in how he holds his coaches, he'd have been fired as well.

You wonder if DeBoer may have had words with LL and LL decided to give him the heave ho. The timing is all very suspect.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
It's about perception. It looks bad from the outside. Rumors start over stuff like this.

Rumors among who? Anyone who's an NHL caliber coach knows Lou better than the rumor mill we'll see. Please.

You wonder if DeBoer may have had words with LL and LL decided to give him the heave ho. The timing is all very suspect.

So if you think PDB had words with Lou, that's nothing on Lou firing him on the spot, right? I mean... this is just a negative rumor conversation for the sake of it. Crazy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And let's not forget MacLean got fired two days before Christmas, now he's back working with the team.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

I personally don't think so (just my opinion). I think Lou actually did him a favor by firing him before this brutal stretch of tough games. It would have gotten even uglier.

I think Lou realizes any coach who comes here until things get cleaned out (perhaps including Lou getting moved out of the GM chair), is being set up for failure in the short-term.

No coach can build up and blueprint anything with this roster right now. Deboer had his shot and it was a short window.

The handwriting was on the wall. It was just a matter of when.

GhostofKenKlee

Lou has been GM for how long? Of course he's fired a dozen or so coaches over the course of 24 plus years. Sather said it best, Coaches all have a shelf life.

Also, there are 30 nhl coaching jobs, 30. I doubt this affects the Devils from being able to get a coach. Hitchcock was petitioning for the job a few years back. Between retreads and upstarts, there are only 30 of these dream jobs. I think the fact that Lou liked Pete bought him more time. If anything, the timing of it is to Pete's advantage if Toronto opens up or even Detroit.

Boucher, someone the board fawns over is in the Swiss league. I mean, let's be realistic here, nothing of what Lou, Snider, Dolan/Sather and co do in terms of revolving door affects future hires.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The Lamoriello - Oates - Stevens triumvirate seems almost like a giant FU to everyone who wanted Deboer fired. "Sure, I'll fire Deboer. Let's see how you like this cluster."

Maybe this will work. Regardless, it's a "be careful what you wish for" situation. Almost like that "literal genie" commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Colw-GucKw0

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Lamoriello - Oates - Stevens triumvirate seems almost like a giant FU to everyone who wanted Deboer fired. "Sure, I'll fire Deboer. Let's see how you like this cluster."

Maybe this will work. Regardless, it's a "be careful what you wish for" situation. Almost like that "literal genie" commercial

Love the brunette in this commercial. :naughty:

He should have been fired the day after Thanksgiving IMO. That was the night of that embarrassing loss to Detroit, where we were leading 4-1 and lost in a shootout. On top of not being able to score on almost a full 2 minute 5 on 3.

That came less than a week after the Calgary chokejob, and a little over a week after the "good road period" post game presser in that HORRENDOUS effort in Winnipeg.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
I've been thinking, what if Lou's taken it upon himself to be the fallguy? To take responsibility for tanking the season, and stepping down after the year with all the blame. At the same time putting the franchise before himself and get us McDavid or Eichel, giving the devils a fresh start. What do you think?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I've been thinking, what if Lou's taken it upon himself to be the fallguy? To take responsibility for tanking the season, and stepping down after the year with all the blame. At the same time putting the franchise before himself and get us McDavid or Eichel, giving the devils a fresh start. What do you think?

I think he really believes in never letting the franchise fall to depths - I don't think this was at all planned - but when it was clear that PDB was going to get the boot, I think the obvious thing for him to take the reigns and responsibility - so yeah, it is going to get very interesting when/if he starts dealing, or if we starting winning.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I personally don't think so (just my opinion). I think Lou actually did him a favor by firing him before this brutal stretch of tough games. It would have gotten even uglier.

I think Lou realizes any coach who comes here until things get cleaned out (perhaps including Lou getting moved out of the GM chair), is being set up for failure in the short-term.

No coach can build up and blueprint anything with this roster right now. Deboer had his shot and it was a short window.

The handwriting was on the wall. It was just a matter of when.

I agree with this.

I think once Lou decides he has to fire a guy, there is no sense waiting.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I can't believe anyone takes Katie Strang seriously. She's about as important to this whole thing as Deb Placey. In fact, they may be the same person.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Are people on here actually fretting about what date we fired him on and how that impacts our ability to secure another coach?

People can't help themselves.

Lou has fired coaches who were winning and it didn't seem to affect our ability to hire coaches. I don't think being fired at Christmas is going to affect it either. Lou is still one of the most respected GMs in the league and people will want to work for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad