Line Combos: Cleary out for Tuesday?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
<insert every celebratory .gif that has ever been posted>

Are Babs (and Holland) finally getting over their man crush and realizing what most of us realized in 2011-12?

I highly doubt he gets waived but I'd definitely waive him before Eaves (and would have before Tootoo too.)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Success?

Or the predictability of adding Brunner, Nyquist, Lashoff, Anderson, Smith etc to the line up last year? Picking up Weiss and Alfredson this year.

Really we are talking about the Wings here. This isn't a the Avs who can be happy they are off to a good regular season start. If we have another year like last year where we started off slow and rounded into shape by playoff time that's all that matters. the Wings aren't judged by the regular season.

That the team is good, but could be better if they would let go of their vices.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
AS far as if Cleary is the reason we are losing , let me know when Quincey is warming the pressbox too, then we'll talk.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Really we are talking about the Wings here. This isn't a the Avs who can be happy they are off to a good regular season start. If we have another year like last year where we started off slow and rounded into shape by playoff time that's all that matters. the Wings aren't judged by the regular season.

If true, then not making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 08/09 for a franchise as vaunted as the Wings should be a wake up call for management.

That is, unless they're ok with the participation trophy which is just making the playoffs. In that case, just proceed with business as usual.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If true, then not making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 08/09 for a franchise as vaunted as the Wings should be a wake up call for management.

That is, unless they're ok with the participation trophy which is just making the playoffs. In that case, just proceed with business as usual.

The Stanley Cup is a hard trophy to win. I think last year the Wings were as competitive as any team in the playoffs. that's all I ask for. They did Wings fans proud. I think they improved their team for this year by adding Weiss and Alfredson. Eventually Nyquist will be in the line up and they will improve again. Getting Big E back will make them a better team as well. I think we'll have a competitive playoff team again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What kind of arrogance do we have as a fan base to think it's Ok for them to ice an inferior roster for 3/4 of a season?

I don't see Pittsburgh waiting until spring to play Beau Bennett. I don't see San Jose waiting until spring to play Tomas Hertl. I don't see Anaheim waiting until spring to play Emerson Etem or Kyle Palmeiri.

Who do we think we are to coast into the playoffs, then hit a switch the last 1/4 of the season with the roster we should have played all along???

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
What kind of arrogance do we have as a fan base to think it's Ok for them to ice an inferior roster for 3/4 of a season?

I don't see Pittsburgh waiting until spring to play Beau Bennett. I don't see San Jose waiting until spring to play Tomas Hertl. I don't see Anaheim waiting until spring to play Emerson Etem or Kyle Palmeiri.

Who do we think we are to coast into the playoffs, then hit a switch the last 1/4 of the season with the roster we should have played all along???

How many more points do we have with Nyquist in the line up? I don't know if there would be any more. He's one player, a boarder line 2nd liner at that. Its OK he'll get there. This isn't as big of a deal as some people are making it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many more points do we have with Nyquist in the line up? I don't know if there would be any more. He's one player, a boarder line 2nd liner at that. Its OK he'll get there. This isn't as big of a deal as some people are making it.

So you're ok with the fact that we could be icing a better team every night, but are choosing not to. Yes or no?

He'll get there? People have been saying that for 3 years and he's still not "there yet". And it's damn sure not because of a lack of production. It's not like we're talking about a 20 or 21 year old. He is 24 years old.

That run we went on last year you keep citing, was do in large part to Nyquist coming up and reinvigorating a "3rd scoring line".

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing Samuelsson getting Cleary's minutes at this point. Samuelsson is not the type of guy that is going to look good playing 10 minutes a night, but he still has more offensive talent than guys like Cleary and Abdelkader. I think he might still have enough gas in the tank to at least look good on the stat sheet, even if his play is uneven.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So you're ok with the fact that we could be icing a better team every night, but are choosing not to. Yes or no?

I would say that it's not neccessary during the regular season (ice the best possible product).

They will use backup goalies etc. things, are testing kids in games against the neighbor conference, but ice best team in division games (most important). At playoffs they don't use backup goalies. Some teams use goons like Tootoo for entertaintment, and they will sit at playoffs.

That's happening all the time.

At the playoffs Red Wings have ALWAYS iced the best possible product. When it matters most. There goes the line. And I'm nothing but fine with that.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010

He'll get there? People have been saying that for 3 years and he's still not "there yet". And it's damn sure not because of a lack of production. It's not like we're talking about a 20 or 21 year old. He is 24 years old.

That run we went on last year you keep citing, was do in large part to Nyquist coming up and reinvigorating a "3rd scoring line".

Again, how many more points do we have with Nyquist in the lineup? He's a nice piece but it's not like we are sitting a Sidney Crosby or going without a Stamkos.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Again, how many more points do we have with Nyquist in the lineup? He's a nice piece but it's not like we are sitting a Sidney Crosby or going without a Stamkos.

Listen I'm not trying to say were a first place team with Nyquist or anything...

Look at it this way

Advantages of Nyquist on the team:

1) Furthers development against elite competition
2) Develops chemistry with teammates
3) Gives team needed speed and puck possession ability

Disadvantages of Nyquist on the team:

1) ?????????? Anybody got anything ??????????

Problem is when you bring him up in March as opposed to November, you really lost out on points 1 and 2

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm pretty alright with it. You're acting like they're holding Datsyuk out of the line up. They might be marginally better with Nyquist in the line up. I know we all want our shinny new toy now but we can wait and everything will be fine.

Also Nyquist was just ready last year. In the first half of the season I would even say he was brutal. The puck died on his stick every time he had it. He would have been just plain awful in the years before.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty alright with it. You're acting like they're holding Datsyuk out of the line up. They might be marginally better with Nyquist in the line up. I know we all want our shinny new toy now but we can wait and everything will be fine.

Also Nyquist was just ready last year. In the first half of the season I would even say he was brutal. The puck died on his stick every time he had it. He would have been just plain awful in the years before.

Well right now we have someone who is brutal and the puck dies on their stick too. His name is dan cleary and he's playing in place of Nyquist. You seem to have no problem with that though.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Well right now we have someone who is brutal and the puck dies on their stick too. His name is dan cleary and he's playing in place of Nyquist. You seem to have no problem with that though.

My point was you have been waiting for him to come up for 3 years but he was no where close to ready until last year. I'm glad they gave Nyquist the time to adjust and get better last year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Wings have had more than a few close games already this year. 4 OT/SO losses I think?

I think Nyquist could be the difference. It's not what he brings in terms of pure numbers, but more about what it does to the roster. It makes the team faster. Remember how much faster the third line looked last year when Nyquist was on it? Now look at Andersson this year and see how much slower he's moving? That's not a coincidence.

You're adding a young, fast, skilled player who has great offensive talent. And if he replaces one of the slower, unskilled, oldies, that makes a big impact. Over 18 games, it could easily be the difference between several OT losses or a win.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I agree with this to an extent, but what happens if Nyquist and Weiss have great chemistry? What if Nyquist is the wheel that makes a Weiss-Alfredsson pairing go round?

Lets not act like history is bereft of instances where inserting one new face changes the look of an entire line. And if we have a 2nd line that actually, you know, produces like a second line, we solve half our problems.

The argument isn't that inserting Nyquist would automatically mean better production and more points, but rather that poor cap management has robbed of us of even discovering whether it might.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
jesus, you can not use the line " we save it for the playoffs" then get called out on that bull and say well "its a hard trophy to win"

its either you win or you didnt and detroit hasent been good enough for years now, we ahve to accept that and figure out hwo to get better and not repeat what failed before

their are no excuses in professional sports, thats why these athletes are there, because the didnt make excuses.

its sickening how easy it is for people to try and figure out a way to defend the indefensible

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I agree with this to an extent, but what happens if Nyquist and Weiss have great chemistry? What if Nyquist is the wheel that makes a Weiss-Alfredsson pairing go round?

Lets not act like history is bereft of instances where inserting one new face changes the look of an entire line. And if we have a 2nd line that actually, you know, produces like a second line, we solve half our problems.

The argument isn't that inserting Nyquist would automatically mean better production and more points, but rather that poor cap management has robbed of us of even discovering whether it might.

Fair points. But I am still not convinced it helps us win more games as long as we aren't getting any more offense from our blue line. Don't get me wrong, I am a Nyquist fan, but I am not convinced having him in the lineup is a difference maker.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Fair points. But I am still not convinced it helps us win more games as long as we aren't getting any more offense from our blue line. Don't get me wrong, I am a Nyquist fan, but I am not convinced having him in the lineup is a difference maker.

I want to see more offense from the blueline also, but I don't see why having subpar defense scoring should prevent the Wings from running out their best offensive forwards.

Detroit looks like a bubble playoff to me so far, so waiting until the spring to bring up another offensively skilled guy to a team that is dying for goal scoring might be too late to make a real difference. One guy can make a sizable difference by forcing Babs to slot guys down the lineup where they belong.

I'm not expecting Nyquist to channel his inner-Selanne and light it up whenever he's up fulltime, but he looks like Selanne in his prime compared to many of the stiffs currently skating on the Wings right now.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
jesus, you can not use the line " we save it for the playoffs" then get called out on that bull and say well "its a hard trophy to win"

its either you win or you didnt and detroit hasent been good enough for years now, we ahve to accept that and figure out hwo to get better and not repeat what failed before

their are no excuses in professional sports, thats why these athletes are there, because the didnt make excuses.

its sickening how easy it is for people to try and figure out a way to defend the indefensible

Not sure who you're quoting or what you're going on about. If you want to bet against the Wings or any other single team in the league its a easy bet to win when you pick 29 other teams.

Having a competitive team with a shot at the cup is what I'm happy with. Same as Chicago fans or Pens fans et al.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad