Trade: [CLE/HOU] Deshaun Watson (signs 5 years, $230M) and 2024 5th for 2022, 2023, and 2024 1sts, 2023 3rd, 2024 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The NFL (as pretty much any league) has the token ethics code:

They must have found enough evidence in the 23 cases that indicates enough 'conduct detrimental to the integrity of .... the NFL.
Wouldn't him settling cases be enough to prove that?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So Alvin Kamara is going to get the same suspension as Watson. One is a bar fight and one is 24 sexual assaults. Incredible..

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So Alvin Kamara is going to get the same suspension as Watson. One is a bar fight and one is 24 sexual assaults. Incredible..
I would imagine that Kamara will likely get 3 games or so. Though his does involve more criminal aspect, Watson wasn't being tried criminally.

Not necessarily saying I think it's right, but I don't think that Kamara will have as long suspension as Watson now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Wow, Browns fans feigning their disgust over Watson and his behavior will be his biggest fans after a little over 33% of the 2022 season, instead of having to feign disgust over the whole 2022 season. Congrats Cleveland!

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She basically says that this is the precedent that they have used and pointing out how flawed it is. She’s calling them out for wanting to pick and choose when to pick and choose, thus calls to question the legitimacy of the conduct policy itself as it doesn’t leave room a case-by-case application. The players always complained (yet, never adequately challenged) about Goodell being judge, jury, and executioner and she’s pointing out that the whole thing is arbitrary in nature.

In short, she’s saying, yeah maybe he should be suspended for the season, but that’s not what your policy is.

Clearly shitting on the league for not having a stronger policy here.
Yeah you got to it before I could get there. The NFL looks stupid no matter what. She eschewed ‘doing the right thing’ in this case for exposing the NFL’s flawed system. This guy gets every cent guaranteed once the suspension is over. The PA put out a statement stating they were accepting the arbitrator’s ruling for a reason.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
People got longer sentences from smoking pot and gambling...

And that "triggered" comment was so completely unnecessary and stupid.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
i have no idea...

well this is a civil matter vs criminal one. so your implication is these women are choosing to get paid some money in exchange for not seeking criminal justice against him which would be a disservice to other/future victims.

Guess I'm just a pessimist when it comes to a lot of things involving money.
If I recall correctly, the some of the accusations went to Grand Jury and they declined an indictment. A lot of these cases boil down to one word vs another. It’s difficult to get evidence to support a claim in most cases. Then naturally, a few of the cases are absurd. An Insta model getting flown across the country to give him a massage for example. He’s guilty as hell, but how far can you go if it can’t be pursued legally. The “why would he pay them if he was innocent” angle really doesn’t play.

We all know he’s guilty as sin and should’ve gotten a year, but it is what it is. The NFL has other avenues if so inclined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yes, the women seeking settlements are choosing money over justice.

That’s why this is so frustrating. The NFL and NFLPA have the opportunity to serve some justice and they aren’t. I’m done with the league.
I’d pump the brakes a little bit. This was an arbitration decision.

The NFLPA will support their member right or wrong. That’s what unions do.

The NFL didn’t make this decision. This is the important thing to remember.

The NFL has a chance to come out smelling like roses. They have 3 days and they can pursue suspending him for a full season which would essentially triple the penalty. It’s a long shot, but it’s possible.

The NFL has a lousy record with this stuff but let’s see what they do.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’d pump the brakes a little bit. This was an arbitration decision.

The NFLPA will support their member right or wrong. That’s what unions do.

The NFL didn’t make this decision. This is the important thing to remember.

The NFL has a chance to come out smelling like roses. They have 3 days and they can pursue suspending him for a full season which would essentially triple the penalty. It’s a long shot, but it’s possible.

Good unions have good policies and what they do and do not agree to support. The NFLPA lacks that and I will not support their league because of it.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Good unions have good policies and what they do and do not agree to support. The NFLPA lacks that and I will not support their league because of it.
That’s fine. I get it. To each their own.

I’m just telling you as a union employee that the union often gets stuck having to defend guys they aren’t crazy about. There are a lot of factors involved such as setting precedent for future incidents. Their number 1 job is to support the members. They don’t just say that you’re an idiot and your on your own.

With that said, I hope the NFL throws the book at this dirt bag. Either way, I’ll probably watch in the end, but I’m not going to games or spending my money on nfl shop if they flub another one.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They appeal they likely end up in federal court with all the dirty laundry about Snyder and Kraft being aired daily.
The appeal, per the CBA, goes to Roger Goodell. The NFLPA signed the agreement, they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to "appealing the appeal" so to speak.

If the NFL wishes, they can lengthen the suspension - the downside is basically the optics of Goodell acting like judge, jury, and executioner again.
I am all for bashing the NFL on this but this isn't their ruling.

But like GKJ said, if they appeal, Watson plays on opening day as appeals take time so...
By the CBA, once an appeal is filed Goodell (or a designee) has two days to respond to it with a final ruling. It won't even drag out to the first pre-season game, much less the regular season. Watson will not be playing opening day regardless.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If I recall correctly, the some of the accusations went to Grand Jury and they declined an indictment. A lot of these cases boil down to one word vs another. It’s difficult to get evidence to support a claim in most cases. Then naturally, a few of the cases are absurd. An Insta model getting flown across the country to give him a massage for example. He’s guilty as hell, but how far can you go if it can’t be pursued legally. The “why would he pay them if he was innocent” angle really doesn’t play.

We all know he’s guilty as sin and should’ve gotten a year, but it is what it is. The NFL has other avenues if so inclined.
The grand juries choosing not to charge him with a crime didn’t have anything to do with the lawsuits he settled. Those civil cases were still heading for trial.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Wow, Browns fans feigning their disgust over Watson and his behavior will be his biggest fans after a little over 33% of the 2022 season, instead of having to feign disgust over the whole 2022 season. Congrats Cleveland!

Nah I’m a Browns fan. Won’t be supporting Watson that’s for sure. Hope the team does well but f*** Watson.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I thought we were looking at least 8. Maybe a whole season, but more than likely 10. But am also somehow not surprised it's only 6.

See a lot of people bringing up Calvin Ridley, but they're not comparable, only cause gambling is collectively bargained and automatic season long suspension. (Now whether it being that long is justified or not is another story.) But the personal conduct policy is just Goodell's (or in this cause some judge's) discretion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The appeal, per the CBA, goes to Roger Goodell. The NFLPA signed the agreement, they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to "appealing the appeal" so to speak.

If the NFL wishes, they can lengthen the suspension - the downside is basically the optics of Goodell acting like judge, jury, and executioner again.

By the CBA, once an appeal is filed Goodell (or a designee) has two days to respond to it with a final ruling. It won't even drag out to the first pre-season game, much less the regular season. Watson will not be playing opening day regardless.
Watson absolutely can take it to federal court, and the amount of mud that they will sling at Kraft and Snyder and unequal punishments will be ugly. Now, it could eventually get thrown out, but Watson and Rusty Hardin can go nuclear if they want.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I can't wait for the road fans (and probably some home fans) to crucify this clown,the signs and taunts will be epic. Dude better have some thick skin because he will NEVER live this down. Bills fans threw dildos at Brady for no apparent reason ,road fans will unleash every insult imaginable and then some more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad