Value of: Claude Giroux to the Leafs at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think the salary cap is good for the Leafs because it forces them to develop new talent.

The can't go out and buy aging stars like Owen Nolan and Claude Giroux anymore. I would rather see them develop their own good, young players.

They didn't do that for a very long time pre-cap.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the Leaf try to take shortcuts with other teams' has-beens. Not for me.

Like Galchenyuk at league min.?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If Giroux goes anywhere, I expect it to be a western conference club. I could see a team like St Louis being in on him, if the Flyers are out of contention. The Flyers will need to take on a contract to make the money even out, but I figure that's probably where he ends up and I think a guy like Jake Neighbors or Zachary Bolduc is part of that package.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN could definitely use him... a skilled RHS who can play C? Maybe something like a 1st, Greenway/Beckman/Daemon Hunt, and Rask(cap) would do it...maybe a little bit of retention in order to make the deal work (25%?). It really depends on how Greenway continues to play going forward after a slow start. It could either be a really nice deal for PHI, or meh.

I have no idea if that offer is even close to what PHI is expecting. It is highly unlikely that MN will be able to re-sign Giroux, so they can only go so far.

Last edited:

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Like Galchenyuk at league min.?
No, I mean the young players who made their NHL debut and have come up through the system with the Leafs. There have been many. We didn't see much of that for a long time, as they would buy their established talent elsewhere.

Hyman is a very good example. He was nothing when the Leafs traded for his rights. They developed him, got excellent service from him, and he moved on. Good story all around.

I like seeing the Leafs grow their own talent, which they were wont to do when they could still buy it instead.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
No, I mean the young players who made their NHL debut and have come up through the system with the Leafs. There have been many. We didn't see much of that for a long time, as they would buy their established talent elsewhere.

Hyman is a very good example. He was nothing when the Leafs traded for his rights. They developed him, got excellent service from him, and he moved on. Good story all around.

I like seeing the Leafs grow their own talent, which they were wont to do when they could still buy it instead.

Ok, but I think rounding out your team for playoff success requires a different plan. When Washington won the cup they had a combination of homegrown talent, trade, ufa pick-ups. Same with Tampa. Ryan McDonagh wasn't developed by Tampa.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Ok, but I think rounding out your team for playoff success requires a different plan. When Washington won the cup they had a combination of homegrown talent, trade, ufa pick-ups. Same with Tampa. Ryan McDonagh wasn't developed by Tampa.
Giroux is just a rental. I don't know if Washington or Tampa had rentals?

I would much rather the Leafs build year-by-year for long-term success -- and preferably with home-grown talent. I think you know what I mean, and perhaps we just disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I would much rather the Leafs build year-by-year for long-term success -- and preferably with home-grown talent. I think you know what I mean, and perhaps we just disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

You also don't need to peddle 1st round picks like Dubas has. Say what you like about Lou Lamoriello, but he used 2nd round picks to acquire players (pending ufas) at the deadline.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I didn't think this is Lou/Kyle convo. If it is, I'm out. I don't know what Lou -- or Kyle -- has to do with Claude Giroux.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Not in any position to dig into Tampa’s history, but Washington’s TD pickup that year, Michal Kempny, was a rental (though he signed with Washington that offseason, so he did stick around.)

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
MN could definitely use him... a skilled RHS who can play C? Maybe something like a 1st, Greenway/Beckman/Daemon Hunt, and Rask(cap) would do it...maybe a little bit of retention in order to make the deal work (25%?). It really depends on how Greenway continues to play going forward after a slow start. It could either be a really nice deal for PHI, or meh.

I have no idea if that offer is even close to what PHI is expecting. It is highly unlikely that MN will be able to re-sign Giroux, so they can only go so far.

Rossi would be the guy I'd want. Philly's prospect needs are rhd and c.

1st high end prospect and useful 4 million dollar player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad