Value of: Claude Giroux to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d say a late 1st.

Easily fetches more than that. Almost any truly good pending UFA fetches a late 1st + B prospect. He's got to be near that 1st and Borderline A prospect level. If Philly puts retention on the table and with a pending UFA, why not the price will be very high, even as rentals go.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Calgary doesn’t have cap space. Him at 50% likely also sees a roster player coming back. Depending on who that player is matters.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Would do the 2022 1st and a prospect like Stromgren, Ruzicka, or Phillips. Maybe even add a conditional 2nd or something like that.

But the likes of Zary, Coronato, and Pelletier would almost certainly be off the table for a 33 year old UFA.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Assuming Philly is out and willing to move him within the next few months (from now to the TDL) what would the ask be?
Late 1st +2nd and a prospect at most for a rental and that's only if the team is a true contender.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd say a 1st + a mid round pick/prospect. Considering most teams interested will need heavy retention, it could go a bit higher.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
G at 50%

Savard last year was 1 3 and 4 to divert money.

The bidding starts at a 1 and 2 (and 3 or 4 to divert 15-25%) and goes from there.

Assume Flyers want ZERO CONTRACTS BACK who are paid past 2022 and making say 3m plus.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d say a 1st and good prospect for Giroux 25% retained . A 2nd for retention at 50% for a 3rd club so that a contender can get that cap hit down to 25%. Team getting the 2nd maybe tosses the acquiring team a 4th rounder.

team a) Giroux 25% cap + 4th rounder

Philly) 1st + good prospect (3/4th depth chart level prospect)

team c) 2nd rounder for eating 50%

As an Oiler fan it would look like

1st + 2nd + Lavoie for Giroux (3/4 cap retained) + 4th

Last edited:

Seattlebjprice

Nov 6, 2021
I’d suggest similar to Paul Stastny’s value when sent to Winnipeg:

similar ages, roles, points, point trends, and contract status.

STL received a 1st, a decent prospect with NCAA development, and a conditional 4th on whether they resigned him. (The 1st turned into Rasmus Sandin after STL traded up 4 spots with Toronto to take Blues legend Dominick Bokk who was flipped for Justin Faulk. The prospect retired due to reported concussion issues)

Reactions: Ainsy01

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Short of Pelletier cooling off a lot between now and the TDL, I don't think he's getting moved. We're gonna need impact ELC's next year after a hopeful new Tkachuk and Gaudreau deals/
I wouldn’t want to move Pelletier either as he done really well thus far in the pros, a fine prospect such as Pelletier and a late 1st is a high price to give up for a soon to be 34 year old UFA that leads his team in scoring that can play LW or C and take faceoffs with the best in the league and also great on left wall at power play.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I doubt that would happen too, Calgary shouldn’t be giving up their top prospects and 1st round picks to go all in and make a run on the cup.

Calgary does have some stockpiled depth although inexperienced but maybe Trevling could make other minor moves with lesser prospects if a veteran needs to sure up the middle 6.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wouldn’t want to move Pelletier either as he done really well thus far in the pros, a fine prospect such as Pelletier and a late 1st is a high price to give up for a soon to be 34 year old UFA that leads his team in scoring that can play LW or C and take faceoffs with the best in the league and also great on left wall at power play.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Giroux. Just not sure he pushes us into true contender category.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
:flyers
Monahan @ ~6.4M
2021 1st
2021 4th

:flames
Giroux @ ~6.4M (23% retained)

I think that is pretty fair? Gives Flames a huge upgrade over Monahan and gives Flyers futures + another asset they could possibly flip for more futures?

This is a much more potent looking top 9 for Calgary:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Giroux
Lucic - Dube - Coleman

For a team that needs some more scoring after it's top line + Mangiapane, they should be willing to move a lot in terms of futures for an upgrade to their scoring depth:

- Those 4 forwards have totaled 33 ES goals and 69 ES points vs 24 ES goals and 49 ES ppoints for the rest of Calgary's forwards
- The top line is a combined +48, while the rest of the team's forwards are a combined -2.
- Milan Lucic is 5th among Flames forwards with 9 ES points.

That's not a recipe for sustained success. I would think a guy like Mangiapane would have legitimate chemistry with Giroux.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
:flyers
Monahan @ ~6.4M
2021 1st
2021 4th

:flames
Giroux @ ~6.4M (23% retained)

I think that is pretty fair? Gives Flames a huge upgrade over Monahan and gives Flyers futures + another asset they could possibly flip for more futures?

This is a much more potent looking top 9 for Calgary:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Giroux
Lucic - Dube - Coleman

For a team that needs some more scoring after it's top line + Mangiapane, they should be willing to move a lot in terms of futures for an upgrade to their scoring depth:

- Those 4 forwards have totaled 33 ES goals and 69 ES points vs 24 ES goals and 49 ES ppoints for the rest of Calgary's forwards
- The top line is a combined +48, while the rest of the team's forwards are a combined -2.
- Milan Lucic is 5th among Flames forwards with 9 ES points.

That's not a recipe for sustained success. I would think a guy like Mangiapane would have legitimate chemistry with Giroux.

If they flyers can then flip Monahan this makes some sense.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I doubt Giroux shakes loose unless the Flyers decide to really blow it up, they were predicted by many to be a good team this year, and Giroux has a NMC, and its not like hes at the tail end of his career ready to go anywhere to win a cup just yet, but hey maybe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad