News Article: CJ Podcast

horner

May 22, 2007
So? He's under contract

If management is making decisions to make certain players happy were completely *******

Do what's best for the team, if that means someone on the team like Marner or Nylander needs to go so be it

If what CJ says is true.

Giving Mathews the C is not appeasing him.

horner

May 22, 2007
Oh. Thought u meant something else. Ultimately. I don’t think Marner gets a sheet. What team could afford it has the space And gives up the picks. Unprotected.

Who doesn’t have players to sign?

The only teams that I can think of that have the space are jersey. Rangers. Isles. Columbus (if Panarin leaves).
Carolina.

Jersey and rangers are tanking. Would Mitch go to the isle?

Would Columbus and canes risk it?

Marner has to want to play for that team.

But if he does then

Islanders
Marner for Barzal Mayfield and Dobson

Columbus
Dubois Anderson Davidson

Then sign
Panarin

Trade Nylander and Kadri

If Dubie is smart there will be trades in place before there is an offer sheet

Or match offer sheet then trade him.

Taveras left the islanders because they have no home ( Or rink I mean )

Columbus mmmmmmm would you play there

Alot of other teams have there own RFA's to sign.

Bad yr to be an RFA

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Mathews and Nylander leading the way ouch.
By cup

I'm not saying I want Marner gone and I rather trade Nylander before trading Marner but say you can only keep one, you are prob not getting too much for Nylander and I am sure management feels pretty confident he will rebound whereas Marner will want 11+ million and you could get a haul for him

So do you trade Nylander at his lowest value when you think he will rebound or trade marner who will make more money at his highest value....this is assuming you can only keep one which I dont think will happen but it is a tough call

horner

May 22, 2007
I'm not saying I want Marner gone and I rather trade Nylander before trading Marner but say you can only keep one, you are prob not getting too much for Nylander and I am sure management feels pretty confident he will rebound whereas Marner will want 11+ million and you could get a haul for him

So do you trade Nylander at his lowest value when you think he will rebound or trade marner who will make more money at his highest value....this is assuming you can only keep one which I dont think will happen but it is a tough call
Marner is a very special player .
I watched Marner play for the london knights.
He has alot more to give
Back then a memory came back to Gilmour .
He never backed down from player.

If we do it will come back to haunt us .

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Marner is a very special player .
I watched Marner play for the london knights.
He has alot more to give
Back then a memory came back to Gilmour .
He never backed down from player.

If we do it will come back to haunt us .
it's all up to marner .this negotiation has plenty of time
no reason to sit out no reason not to get 9 .5 mill
If he gets offer sheeted so be it
I don't think any team.i. the NHL wants to get into a pissing contest with the leafs

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't think any team.i. the NHL wants to get into a pissing contest with the leafs

Should have used the same approach with no show Nylander.
Sad
If your offer is 9.5 wow will never happen.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Why not?

A chance to jam up an organization that has some of the brightest young talent in the league?

If I'm one of the 30 other GMs in the league, I already have my offer sheet prepared (not just for Marner, but for Brayden Point as well)[/QUOTE]

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If Marner insists on getting Matthews money, then a divorce will be inevitable. He chose to go last, and that means the $'s left are limited. What makes the most sense is a 2 or 3 year deal, but not sure if they can agree on a number for that.

But CJ is right. If Marner's family refuses to be reasonable about it, it'll end his time in Toronto.

Panarin + 4 1st round picks isn't a terrible plan B.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If Marner insists on getting Matthews money, then a divorce will be inevitable. He chose to go last, and that means the $'s left are limited. What makes the most sense is a 2 or 3 year deal, but not sure if they can agree on a number for that.

But CJ is right. If Marner's family refuses to be reasonable about it, it'll end his time in Toronto.

Panarin + 4 1st round picks isn't a terrible plan B.

The issue is that when an offer sheet comes down Panarin will more than likely already be signed. An offer sheet can’t be signed until July 1st and the majority of the UFA’s determine where they are going before July 1st and sign on July 1st.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner has to want to play for that team.

But if he does then

Islanders
Marner for Barzal Mayfield and Dobson

Columbus
Dubois Anderson Davidson

Then sign
Panarin

Trade Nylander and Kadri

If Dubie is smart there will be trades in place before there is an offer sheet

Or match offer sheet then trade him.

Taveras left the islanders because they have no home ( Or rink I mean )

Columbus mmmmmmm would you play there

Alot of other teams have there own RFA's to sign.

Bad yr to be an RFA

Funny about the Isles...you think Lou would give Marner over $11 million AND give up Barzal, Mayfield and Dobson? No way! And the last time I checked, the Isles doesn't have Marner and they swept the Penguins.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
The issue is that when an offer sheet comes down Panarin will more than likely already be signed. An offer sheet can’t be signed until July 1st and the majority of the UFA’s determine where they are going before July 1st and sign on July 1st.

That's why Dubas called it "priority 1", and like CJ said, the Leafs will likely set an internal deadline.

Either way, the Leafs have to hit free agency with certainty - either knowing Marner is in, or planning for life without him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Few major anecdotes:

- RE Matthews "he's going to come back with a C on his jersey" next year

- Says Marner's camp is asking for more than Matthews' AAV; next 6-7 weeks the Leafs will give a final figure and CJ believes Dubas won't go above 11 mill, which could lead to a scenario where Marner is moved due to the notoriety of the camp

- Heard that the Leafs tried to make a significant move to acquire a big name @ the TDL, but didn't end up doing it (doesn't know who the player is); would have been a major 4 player deal with the keystone player coming back being a RHD

- Confirmed that the Leafs discussed trading Zaitsev at the TDL; there is some interest, but it is dependent on how much the Leafs will have to sweeten the pot

There are a few things. For one, it's widely reported that Marner's camp, mainly his agent and his father, believe Marner is just as good as Matthews and shouldn't be paid a penny less. Earlier this year, his agent was in the new for claiming the Leafs were low balling Marner and such and had to go on multiple radio shows later to do some damage control (this was right after the Matthews deal).

Paul Marner, his dad, is similarly notorious. He went on a tangent that made the news saying Marner is always written off and under appreciated and should be captain. I should say this was earlier in the year before his big season and when he still had a lot of doubters.

Both seem to have a "No one took a discount and neither will we" approach. They at least in the media, have been portrayed as stubborn.

This is going to get ugly. It will be in the media, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to Marner deciding if he wants to be a Leaf or get the contract his camp thinks he is worth.

I don't think there's a guy in the Toronto media that's better in the know (and level headed) as CJ.

I take this as gospel as he knows he's basically the only trustworthy Leafs reporter out there anymore and has 0 reason to make **** up.

So Nylander isn't going anywhere, Babs might be gone, Matty probably will be captain, Marner won't be paid like the talking heads think.

OK. Interesting/unique interpretation. LOL.

I am getting the sense that CJ doesn't think Marner is coming back...

I didn't get that sense, what I got was that Leafs brass aren't afraid to move him if a deal can't be made.

Kind of the same thing from a net result perspective ...... you'd think.

I got the impression from something that was reported about a year ago that Marner wouldn't be easy to sign. I can see a pretty large 5 year deal happening as a middle ground solution i.e., $11.0 - 11.25 m X 5 years maybe .....

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This Marner thing is going to be tough. Would be nice if he just sign a 3 yrs deal for 8mil or so and be the first to sign the 3rd contract, that way it will be over 10mil or something.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I got the impression from something that was reported about a year ago that Marner wouldn't be easy to sign. I can see a pretty large 5 year deal happening as a middle ground solution i.e., $11.0 - 11.25 m X 5 years maybe .....

Marner needs to be under 9mil

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Marner needs to be under 9mil

"Needs"? I guess you are talking about our cap situation, which isn't Marner's problem?

He could end up sitting like Nylander did if they offer something like that. Maybe it will end up being a shorter term deal, but it wouldn't surprise me that Marner has a $11 m figure in his head given that salary has already been given to both Tavares and Matthews.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

0 chance he gets even close to that.

Reactions: biotk

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
"Needs"? I guess you are talking about our cap situation, which isn't Marner's problem?

He could end up sitting like Nylander did if they offer something like that. Maybe it will end up being a shorter term deal, but it wouldn't surprise me that Marner has a $11 m figure in his head given that salary has already been given to both Tavares and Matthews.
Then he will get traded to the Ducks with Kadri and Leafs will get a few 1st along with Manson and Richtie.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner played until Jan, and then wasn't the same. His playoffs were average as well.
He shouldn't get over 10 million, and needs to be traded if he wants more then that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad