News Article: CJ Podcast

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This thread and CJ on the podcast......

Oh. Thought u meant something else. Ultimately. I don’t think Marner gets a sheet. What team could afford it has the space And gives up the picks. Unprotected.

Who doesn’t have players to sign?

The only teams that I can think of that have the space are jersey. Rangers. Isles. Columbus (if Panarin leaves).
Carolina.

Jersey and rangers are tanking. Would Mitch go to the isle?

Would Columbus and canes risk it?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Oh. Thought u meant something else. Ultimately. I don’t think Marner gets a sheet. What team could afford it has the space And gives up the picks. Unprotected.

Who doesn’t have players to sign?

The only teams that I can think of that have the space are jersey. Rangers. Isles. Columbus (if Panarin leaves).
Carolina.

Jersey and rangers are tanking. Would Mitch go to the isle?

Would Columbus and canes risk it?

There are a lot of teams with the picks but not sure about the cap space.

I don’t think Dubas sees losing Marner as an option. If he trades him it better be for guys that give them a chance to win the Cup now. Which is tough because they are closer to missing the playoffs than winning a round.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

For an offer sheet of that magnitude You basically need a perfect storm of 3 things.

1.) your first rounder for your next 4 year.
Sure. Most will have that.

2.) the cap space to fit a player in.
-many smaller teams will have that

3.) a player willing to sign.

That in itself doesn’t seem too tough. The problem is. Most teams that have the space have it for a reason. They are Either broke. Or rebuilding.

Would Marner leave a competitive team for a small market team?

Would a less competitive team risk giving up 4 potential lottery picks? Especially on a winger.

The only teams I could see in addition to the above are

Dallas. Philly Colorado. but they tend to be bubble teams.

Colorado and Dallas need centers I think.

Jersey is weak on the wing and have a young team. But 4 firsts is nuts.

If Mitch signs a 4 first rounder sheet. I let him go. No question. There are UFA wingers every single year.

Heck. Trade the first for hall. And sign him for 11. Try to get skinner for 8.....

Orrrr try to go 1 for 1 for a top D. But I don’t know who that would be.

If Columbus would give us Jones. Bye Mitchy.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There's a reason offersheets virtually never happen. 1) you have to overpay on the caphit, because outherwise the team will just match so right off the bat it's problematic; 2) for players of Marners calibre you're giving to four unprotected 1sts, which is a ton of value even if they're all mid/late, but super risky that they could be higher; and 3) the player has to actually sign the offersheet.

Who has the capspace, is willing to risk the picks, and is a team Marner would actually want to sign with? The better teams that have less of a risk regarding high picks are also less likely to have the required ~12M in capspace. 'd imagine its a very short list of teams that would even realistically look at this.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I don’t think Dubas sees losing Marner as an option. If he trades him it better be for guys that give them a chance to win the Cup now. Which is tough because they are closer to missing the playoffs than winning a round.
The return for Marner would be significant...I would listen to offers! I like to say 'He is the Leafs' ,because of his determination/skillset...I know it's an exaggeration ,but I bet the offers would be hard to refuse.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My point is when the media brought up OS to Matthews, Laine, Rantanen, Point and Marner a lot of folks jumped down their throats....now when this filthy talking CJ brings it up it’s all fine.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The return for Marner would be significant...I would listen to offers! I like to say 'He is the Leafs' ,because of his determination/skillset...I know it's an exaggeration ,but I bet the offers would be hard to refuse.

I’d listen to offers on everyone.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
One thing you can't say about Dubas is he sits on his hands.

Don't see that at all. Did nothing when it was obvious this team needed help or a firing to get to the next level. So far, everything he has done has been disastrous. And please don't say Muzzin, he went to mediocre after his 2nd game here. If he messes up Marner, it'll be at least another 52 years till we see the Cup. Marner has more guts, desire and soul than Matthews and Nylander combined. He bleeds blue & white. He should be captain and, at least, equal to AM in terms of salary. Need room? Dump Nylander next time he laughs when he screws up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like CJ but I think he likes drinking to much I don't think there is ANY chance Marner goes anywhere remember "we can and we will" that was about 3 guys not 1.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
True,but some guys are difficult to replace ...Really, trying to assemble a balanced team is difficult. In the Leafs case ,they seem to have enough scoring ability,so maybe parting with some of that is not so bad.

Trade Marner and they better get a 100 point guy or two 60 point guys in return.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Trade Marner and they better get a 100 point guy or two 60 point guys in return.
Sure,or address their needs...I don't think there is an available replacement for Marner,so maybe a top D man or a couple of younger players that look promising,or a variety pack of assets. I would rather have him here ,so we could see what a Matthews/Marner tandem looks like on a regular basis,preferably with a talented winger on the other side. But I doubt that happens under this Jackass of a coach.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

....pardon?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I've heard the 'this has to be a big summer' before, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few UFA mechanic defensemen and promote one person from the AHL.

Dubas hands are tied. The only guys who are tradeable are Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen and I doubt anyone in the organization wants to trade guys who are in the upswing of their careers fresh off breakout seasons.

That’s leaves Zaitsev, Nylander, Brown and Marleau as trade possibilities with very little return.

They can’t afford to sign any free agents until they have closure on Marner.

Rosen will likely take Jake’s spot on the blue line but they still need a RHD to play with Rielly assuming Hainsey is done.

Nylander for a Pesce would look real good right now but I’m guessing Caroline pulled that off the table.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
....pardon?

Unless Dubas cleans up the cap there’s a really good chance they miss the playoffs next year. I think he will. Somehow he’ll find a spot for Marleau’s cap hit, and maybe one of Zaitsev, Nylander or Kadri. Otherwise....yikes.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Dubas hands are tied. The only guys who are tradeable are Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen and I doubt anyone in the organization wants to trade guys who are in the upswing of their careers fresh off breakout seasons.

That’s leaves Zaitsev, Nylander, Brown and Marleau as trade possibilities with very little return.

They can’t afford to sign any free agents until they have closure on Marner.

Rosen will likely take Jake’s spot on the blue line but they still need a RHD to play with Rielly assuming Hainsey is done.

Nylander for a Pesce would look real good right now but I’m guessing Caroline pulled that off the table.
This is pretty spot on, I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas bids on Gardiner with his value low

As for Nylander for Pesce? It look ok today but big picture that is a moronic deal. Superstar potential forward for stay at home defenseman? Those end well...

Let Pesce have his summer of high value while there is a clownworld NYI/Canes fluke 2nd round series that will never happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad