Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I like Tanev but as good as he is he’s not worth it if he comes in and then gets injured and then you need to call up some AHL guy to replace him meaning the solution you got isn’t able to play. So I would rather a player less talented who I know will be in the lineup for 82 games.
Since Tanev left the Canucks he's been much healthier.

Reactions: Nanuuk and lawrence

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Sadly as a Flames fan probably not as much as you would think. He's old and often injured. Lot of tough tough miles on Chris. He at one time was an excellent defense first top pairing player. That's no longer true. His play this year has honestly been closer to 3rd pairing than top 4. Slow to react and making a lot of desperation type plays. Being on a team that's clearly going nowhere probably hasn't helped, because he's really not far removed from being one of the top shutdown dmen in the league.

Maybe a new team, a contending team, would reinvigorate him. Maybe it wouldn't. I would be happy if Conroy got a 2nd and a B+ type prospect for him. Or a 3rd and a promising young RHD having trouble making an impact.
Which is why I think he will re-sign here. As long as he is cognizant that a pay decrease is in the offing.

I think Tanev would be worth two 2nds or a 1st and a 3rd depending if the acquiring team is going to finish high in the standings and if the Flames retain salary. A late first could be equivalent to a high 2nd round pick. A late 3rd equivalent to a high 4th round. If those picks are 2024 of course.

The skills and leadership he'd bring to a team that is all in will be invaluable.

Even if he is 'slowing' down, and that is very subjective, he has the smarts to go where he should be so speed isn't a concern.

He is tough as nails and knows how to play the game. He can kill penalties. He makes his partners better players.

Even though he does get injured from time to time, LTIR can open up space if needed.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
In the past 3 years since joining the Flames this is where he's ranked among all regular defensemen in the league:
#1, 2, and 3 is defensive WAR
#1, 15, and 5 in xdefensive WAR
#1, 19, and 91 in 5v5 GA/60
#3, 15, and 4 in 5v5 SA/60
#2, 27, and 5 in 5v5 FA/60
#4, 23, and 7 in 5v5 CA/60
#2, 15, and 3 in 5v5 xGA/60

Unlike a lot of the players that ranked above him too he played those minutes almost primarily against elite competition. Over the past 3 years has hands down been the best defensive defenseman in the entire league
Oh, I have zero doubts about what he has done as a Flame, but it was close to what he did as a Canuck too.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I agree he's probably worth a mid/high second and a B prospect tossed in. Z is the same.

I do think it could elevate to a low 1st with retention via bidding war since it seems like at least Vancouver, Toronto and Edmonton would all be interested.

I'd be happy with a mid second. But I wouldn't be a dick and demand a return overflowing with gravy unless it was proposed and placed in front of us to evaluate vs other teams offers.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks send you a 2nd and a mid prospect, maybe a slightly better one if you take Beauvilier.
Who the mid prospect is here is the interesting question.

I personally wouldn’t offer up any of Elias Pettersson (defenceman), Brzustewicz, Bains, Aman, Podkolzin, Raty, Hirose, or Silovs. Their potential future contributions (on top of a 2nd) don’t justify a year or two of Tanev, imo.

That leaves Kudryavtsev, Mynio, Klimovich, Woo, McDonough, Bloom, Karlsson, and Johansson.

Reactions: Cogburn

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I still really think getting both Tanev and Zaddy is what the Leafs should do.

Flames take Minten, Niemela, Klingberg + one other contract for cap) and picks?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he wants both, wouldn't you need to shed about $3m? And that's 3m off the active roster, both Timmins and Lili are on LTIR and all that space is being used, so they don't really work as cap dumps.

I did miss Reaves when I was looking at possible cap dumps.

With how much cap you'd have to shed and how many picks you've already unloaded, I'm not sure the Leafs are going to be able to much of anything this season for trades.

Reaves would certainly qualify as a cap dump.

We don't know what happened to Reaves the first 2 games against Montreal and Minnesota he was Ryan Reaves, he was hitting, he was fighting he was doing all the Ryan Reaves things he was expected to do.

The SECOND he hit the ice VS Chicago that stopped and hasn't started again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they look to move on from him at some point, although I still think it's to early for that.

I still really think getting both Tanev and Zaddy is what the Leafs should do.

Flames take Minten, Niemela, Klingberg + one other contract for cap) and picks?

I question if Minten goes for a rental

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Reaves would certainly qualify as a cap dump.

We don't know what happened to Reaves the first 2 games against Montreal and Minnesota he was Ryan Reaves, he was hitting, he was fighting he was doing all the Ryan Reaves things he was expected to do.

The SECOND he hit the ice VS Chicago that stopped and hasn't started again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they look to move on from him at some point, although I still think it's to early for that.

I question if Minten goes for a rental

Sorry, with at least a Zaddy extension in place.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
@LEAFANFORLIFE23

On the Flames board I was posting my thoughts on a Zadoov to Toronto deal (I know wrong thread, but this could be the basis for Tanev too)

So as I mentioned, I think in a vacuum Zadorov or Tanev are probably each worth a B Prospect... I was thinking a 2nd (if you had one) and Niemela.

I did the math and if Timmins and Zadorov (@50%) are added to the Leafs active roster and Lagesson & Benoit are sent down, they will need to shed about 1.2m. As you know, Reaves makes 1.35m, so mathematically, he's pretty much a perfect fit.

But, as I am sure you know, dumping him wouldn't be free with the 2 additional years on his contract and him being not such a good player. So I thought adding him to the trade would bump up that 2nd round pick to a 1st, and then add an another B prospect in Abruzzese.

So basically 1st, Niemela, Abruzzese and Reaves for Zadorov, and then if it were Tanev instead, you'd need to shed an additional 500k-ish

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
@LEAFANFORLIFE23

On the Flames board I was posting my thoughts on a Zadoov to Toronto deal (I know wrong thread, but this could be the basis for Tanev too)

So as I mentioned, I think in a vacuum Zadorov or Tanev are probably each worth a B Prospect... I was thinking a 2nd (if you had one) and Niemela.

I did the math and if Timmins and Zadorov (@50%) are added to the Leafs active roster and Lagesson & Benoit are sent down, they will need to shed about 1.2m. As you know, Reaves makes 1.35m, so mathematically, he's pretty much a perfect fit.

But, as I am sure you know, dumping him wouldn't be free with the 2 additional years on his contract and him being not such a good player. So I thought adding him to the trade would bump up that 2nd round pick to a 1st, and then add an another B prospect in Abruzzese.

So basically 1st, Niemela, Abruzzese and Reaves for Zadorov, and then if it were Tanev instead, you'd need to shed an additional 500k-ish

I don't know if Reaves needs to be in this trade, they could just send him down and bury 85-90% of his salary.

Based on your math I think there is a way to do this without a cap dump because Reaves be nearly entirely buried and next season that will be the case assuming the cap goes up to the around 88 million It's supposed to.

Based on your math this seems like a relatively simple deal to make

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if Reaves needs to be in this trade, they could just send him down and bury 85-90% of his salary.

Based on your math I think there is a way to do this without a cap dump because Reaves be nearly entirely buried and next season that will be the case assuming the cap goes up to the around 88 million It's supposed to.

Based on your math this seems like a relatively simple deal to make
Yeah you'd only need to shed like 200k-ish in that case. Might be able to do that in another trade Timmins for a defenseman making 900k or less.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Tanev would be a heck of a partner for Miro Heiskanen. They'd be the best D pairing in the West.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
In the past 3 years since joining the Flames this is where he's ranked among all regular defensemen in the league:
#1, 2, and 3 is defensive WAR
#1, 15, and 5 in xdefensive WAR
#1, 19, and 91 in 5v5 GA/60
#3, 15, and 4 in 5v5 SA/60
#2, 27, and 5 in 5v5 FA/60
#4, 23, and 7 in 5v5 CA/60
#2, 15, and 3 in 5v5 xGA/60

Unlike a lot of the players that ranked above him too he played those minutes almost primarily against elite competition. Over the past 3 years has hands down been the best defensive defenseman in the entire league

still, always, underrated

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
He should be valued at a 3rd round pick but will probably get overvalued.
Horrible horrible take

Tanev is so undervalued around here it’s nuts. Will be shocked if he doesn’t bring back a first. This is an elite shutdown #3 RD. Any contender would be lining up for his services. Criminally underrated

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Tanev would be a heck of a partner for Miro Heiskanen. They'd be the best D pairing in the West.

Miro is playing RD; Dallas has LD depth. Unless Lindell, Suter, or Harley switch sides (or injured) the whole point of acquiring Tanev would be to improve Hakanpaa, the weak link on the back end.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Byram and three firsts for Lindholm and Tanev both at 50%. Lindholm signs the Kadri 7x7 contract.
Byram is better than Tanev. Kid averages 20:40 minutes a game on a top team in the west. Has six goals. Tanev has 1. Byram is a better defender than offensive Dman.

So we downgrade from Byram to Tanev and spend 3 1st on Lindholm. Who can’t score a goal. When was the last time a rental got 3 1st rounders. Never.

Esp one pacing for 14 goals on the season

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad