CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
What I am curious about is what his whl contract means as far as Michigan commit. Does he have to stay in the dub through his 19 yr old season? Is there some sort of out clause? What does this mean for every other whl player who might want to jump to the NCAA before they age out of the chl? Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Well that's the whole situation isn't it? The first step is the NCAA decision (which isn't written in stone yet). Then comes the CHL response, if they will rip up the CHL contracts to adjust to this NCAA decision.

I doubt the CHL will let it's best 18-19 year olds jump to the NCAA without some kind of compensation.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Well that's the whole situation isn't it? The first step is the NCAA decision (which isn't written in stone yet). Then comes the CHL response, if they will rip up the CHL contracts to adjust to this NCAA decision.

I doubt the CHL will let it's best 18-19 year olds jump to the NCAA without some kind of compensation.
A good chunk of the chl won't be academically eligible also which we be another hurdle. Plus most have only ever cared about playing in the CHL(out west at least). Usually ncaa is the 2nd choice. I'm just wanting some clarity hopefully soon on what it will look like for next year so I can recruit lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We shall see but it does appear to be shaking out that way......

This particular kid was always really on the border of the WHL/NCAA decision to begin with [he was a 1st round pick in WHL], and I don't think his ice time in Sioux Falls was that great. He's obviously hoping to have his cake and eat it too, which he'll probably get, but the big question is going to be if he can go at 18 (if he's good enough, TBD) or have to wait until 20.

“Noah is his own person and made his own decision,” said dad Mark Kosick, who coaches his son in the Langford-based Pacific Coast Hockey Academy Sea Devils program.

“He turned down at least 10 NCAA recruiting trips and had his full sights on Calgary and the WHL. But the trip down to Ann Arbor proved to be unbelievable. [Michigan head coach] Brandon Naurato is the smartest hockey mind I’ve come across. He is exactly the kind of coach we want Noah to play for.”

When a kid that signed a Tender bolts, it will be a bigger deal.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
A good chunk of the chl won't be academically eligible also which we be another hurdle. Plus most have only ever cared about playing in the CHL(out west at least). Usually ncaa is the 2nd choice. I'm just wanting some clarity hopefully soon on what it will look like for next year so I can recruit lol

Yeah, one decision is going to affect the next. CHL has remained silent on the whole issue. A bit strange.

I imagine the US kids that get drafted will want to play in the NCAA at 18 or 19 instead of back in the DUB.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

I do wonder about that. The CHL claims that their high school graduation rate is near 100% and a large group of players are taking college classes as they are playing. So I'm not sure that academic ineligibility will be a factor. The biggest hurdle for NCAA teams will be to convince those players to choose the NCAA over the minor pro leagues. In time, I really believe that even Canadian born players will look towards the NCAA option over playing in the ECHL or Europe.

Yeah, one decision is going to affect the next. CHL has remained silent on the whole issue. A bit strange.

I imagine the US kids that get drafted will want to play in the NCAA at 18 or 19 instead of back in the DUB.

I'm convinced that the only way the CHL will attract the very best U.S. born talent is for the league to change the standard players agreement that allows for opt outs

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I do wonder about that. The CHL claims that their high school graduation rate is near 100% and a large group of players are taking college classes as they are playing. So I'm not sure that academic ineligibility will be a factor. The biggest hurdle for NCAA teams will be to convince those players to choose the NCAA over the minor pro leagues. In time, I really believe that even Canadian born players will look towards the NCAA option over playing in the ECHL or Europe.

I'm convinced that the only way the CHL will attract the very best U.S. born talent is for the league to change the standard players agreement that allows for opt outs
What do you mean opt outs? CHL players can leave whenever they want. It’s the NCAA that’s stopping them from moving freely.

In any case, even after the changes take effect, most Americans will want to stay in the USA and most Canadians will want to stay in Canada. There will still be some trade off but will be roughly even. It won’t be a mass exodus one way or the other.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
What do you mean opt outs? CHL players can leave whenever they want. It’s the NCAA that’s stopping them from moving freely.

In any case, even after the changes take effect, most Americans will want to stay in the USA and most Canadians will want to stay in Canada. There will still be some trade off but will be roughly even. It won’t be a mass exodus one way or the other.

The current CHL standard player agreement prevents players from playing in any other amateur league unless they are specifically released by the team. So, they would need to change the language in the contract to provide "opt outs" where an 18-year-old can leave his CHL club and join a NCAA team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

CHL players can not actually leave whenever they want. I mean they can stop playing, but they can't just sign a contract and go play in Europe for example. The CHL team holds their rights as things stand right now. How this plays out with the NCAA is still to be seen though.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
CHL players can not actually leave whenever they want. I mean they can stop playing, but they can't just sign a contract and go play in Europe for example. The CHL team holds their rights as things stand right now. How this plays out with the NCAA is still to be seen though.
No one holds a player hostage if they want to leave. They either get traded or released. No GM is preventing a player from playing out of spite.

The current CHL standard player agreement prevents players from playing in any other amateur league unless they are specifically released by the team. So, they would need to change the language in the contract to provide "opt outs" where an 18-year-old can leave his CHL club and join a NCAA team.
Yes a team would just release them. They aren't going to hold them hostage. That's rule one for how to ruin any future relationships with players/agents.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No one holds a player hostage if they want to leave. They either get traded or released. No GM is preventing a player from playing out of spite.

Yes a team would just release them. They aren't going to hold them hostage. That's rule one for how to ruin any future relationships with players/agents.
You said players can leave whenever they want, they can't. That's all. They don't have the freedom to do whatever they want. Maybe they should, but right now the team they are with in the CHL do have rights over them.

Reactions: Corso

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You said players can leave whenever they want, they can't. That's all. They don't have the freedom to do whatever they want. Maybe they should, but right now the team they are with in the CHL do have rights over them.
Are you saying team's won't release or trade a player that wants to leave? Because I've yet to see that happen.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Are you saying team's won't release or trade a player that wants to leave? Because I've yet to see that happen.
You said "players can leave whenever they want". I was responding to that and your statement is absolutely not true. Obviously if a player wants out the team will usually work out a trade. Players can't just wake up on a Monday morning and decide they are tired of the OHL and sign a contract in Sweden though.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You said "players can leave whenever they want". I was responding to that and your statement is absolutely not true. Obviously if a player wants out the team will usually work out a trade. Players can't just wake up on a Monday morning and decide they are tired of the OHL and sign a contract in Sweden though.
BECAUSE NO ONE HAS THAT THOUGHT.

No NA teenager is like "Yeah I want to go half way around the world to play in an inferior development system that will likely be hostile towards outsiders anyway. Just to come back and play in NA."

There's a reason the washed up pros go to Europe and European juniors come over here vs the other way around.

And just incase someone wanted to try your insane hypothetical, yes their team would let them go. They can't do anything about it in real applicable practice. You can't burn that bridge with agents.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
To Kingpin's point, the CHL's ability to hold players hostage never really been tested in a significant way. Up until this point, they couldn't sign with an NCAA team, which would be the logical destination to bolt to. Since they can't sign with an NCAA team, there'd be little reason to bolt to the USHL or BCHL, which are NCAA feeder leagues. The big question becomes what happens if an 18 year old announces his intention to leave his CHL team to go play for an NCAA team. Wil the CHL team let him go, try and block him, and if they did, would the NCAA team honor that, try to fight it and if they fight it, what would come of it?

During COVID, WHL let players be loaned out to the USHL, the OHL did not. But there was the whole border crossing, global pandemic factor to that as well.. and notably related to players who wanted to come back, not leave CHL forever.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
To Kingpin's point, the CHL's ability to hold players hostage never really been tested in a significant way. Up until this point, they couldn't sign with an NCAA team, which would be the logical destination to bolt to. Since they can't sign with an NCAA team, there'd be little reason to bolt to the USHL or BCHL, which are NCAA feeder leagues. The big question becomes what happens if an 18 year old announces his intention to leave his CHL team to go play for an NCAA team. Wil the CHL team let him go, try and block him, and if they did, would the NCAA team honor that, try to fight it and if they fight it, what would come of it?
Just to clarify, there are limited teams that would actually do this.

And, on that point, there are actually CHL teams who would block this scenario BUT the BCHL isn't sanctioned by Hockey Canada or USA Hockey, so they can sign players without CHL release.

Part of being IIHF sanctioned requires a formal release to move from one league to another (for example, Zach Morin had to be released by Youngstown to play in the CHL). Most teams will do what is best for the player because part of recruiting is to present the opportunity of your team.

On the other hand, the Rimouski Oceanic are trying to force Bradley Nadeau to play there (over the AHL) and are trying to argue that they didn't release him (which is idiotic that they would have any rights to him given that he's never signed anything for them, but that's another story).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad