CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if the rules change then you’ll see less players sign ELC’s earlier. If you would seriously consider college, why would you sign a pre-agreement that quite literally takes away all your leverage? All their agents will advise them to not sign early.

EH7

Aug 12, 2007
I think if the rules change then you’ll see less players sign ELC’s earlier. If you would seriously consider college, why would you sign a pre-agreement that quite literally takes away all your leverage? All their agents will advise them to not sign early.
Not saying this is the only reason - but you do realize that players receive signing bonuses with their ELCs, right? $95K each year for three years isn't nothing when you're 18/19. Career ending injury while waiting to sign your ELC, or start underperforming a little and that money is gone.

By signing your ELC, you also get support from development coaches and can access other team resources even while you are playing junior.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The biggest change to the development model in a long long time imo. It’s easy to see that the real benefactor of this is going to be the NCAA and the leagues that are going to be hurt are the USHL, and to a lesser extent the CHL. The CHL will likely have more top talent, but for less time as top draft picks opt to leave the CHL for better quality of play in the NCAA.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not saying this is the only reason - but you do realize that players receive signing bonuses with their ELCs, right? $95K each year for three years isn't nothing when you're 18/19. Career ending injury while waiting to sign your ELC, or start underperforming a little and that money is gone.

By signing your ELC, you also get support from development coaches and can access other team resources even while you are playing junior.
But they can collect the signing bonus for their ELC when they’re ready to start their pro hockey career. Unless your family lives in poverty (not many hockey families), that a player would need a signing bonus right away isn’t very likely. And most players don’t think in the way you’re suggesting about the low probability of a career ending injury and the need to immediately get the most money available. Otherwise, why would any of them play CHL/NCAA over somewhere in Europe. Of course, the players that wouldn’t consider NCAA will sign, but the players who will have no reason to sign their ELC so early.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
yup teams are already dealing with the NCAA babies who want everything handed to them and not earning their spot. Plus will see if the 2 year rights for chlers gets changed to 4 like NCAA+Europe

NHL rights will be top of the agenda. I can see it changing to a universal timeframe for all players. We can also expect to see changes to the NHL draft as well. Will it be four rounds? Will it be split between 18 year and 20-year-olds?

One thing I do know about the NHL is they like to have a direct hand in how their prospects are developed.

But they can collect the signing bonus for their ELC when they’re ready to start their pro hockey career. Unless your family lives in poverty (not many hockey families), that a player would need a signing bonus right away isn’t very likely. And most players don’t think in the way you’re suggesting about the low probability of a career ending injury and the need to immediately get the most money available. Otherwise, why would any of them play CHL/NCAA over somewhere in Europe. Of course, the players that wouldn’t consider NCAA will sign, but the players who will have no reason to sign their ELC so early.
Players dead set on the college experience will hold off on signing early but it's not a stretch to think that most players will sign at the first opportunity to do so, especially if they are playing in a league that encourages them to do so.

The NHL-CHL agreement will change and from what I hear, it will allow current under- agers the opportunity to play at least part of the season in the AHL. So, say you are a 1st or even 2nd round pick and your CHL is telling you, why go play in the NCAA when you can play just as many games as you would in college against even better competition, all the while collecting your signing bonus. You could see the appeal, no?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Players dead set on the college experience will hold off on signing early but it's not a stretch to think that most players will sign at the first opportunity to do so, especially if they are playing in a league that encourages them to do so.
I think it is a stretch. Unless you are dead set against the NCAA, it takes away all your leverage, including in negotiating the terms of your ELC.

Why would they care what the CHL head office thinks? Do NHL players take stock of what Bettman and Daly think before they sign their contracts?

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think it is a stretch. Unless you are dead set against the NCAA, it takes away all your leverage, including in negotiating the terms of your ELC.

Why would they care what the CHL head office thinks? Do NHL players take stock of what Bettman and Daly think before they sign their contracts?

Let's be honest, the vast majority of players want to play in the NHL as soon as they are able to. You can use the NCAA as leverage but there is also an opportunity cost in doing so.

Reactions: EH7

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This rule change would allow CHL players to play in the NCAA but not those that have signed an NHL contract. So those that wanted to play NCAA and were drafted by an NHL team would still have to wait to sign their NHL ELC.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

The part of the NCAA press release nobody is quoting in this thread states: “Additional topics for consideration in future meetings will include postenrollment involvement with professional teams or events.”

Also, my feeling here is that the CHL is less worried about their players gaining NCAA eligibility in the abstract, and FAR more worried about the bucks they’ll need to shell out if more guys use their league-funded scholarships. Remember, though the dollar value of each individual CHL scholarship is dictated by the domicile rule, the scholarship itself can be used at nearly any post-secondary institution in the world, including in the U.S.

I can see a situation in the future where a kid leaves a CHL program early to go NCAA and, to add insult to injury, receives league scholarship coin he’s earned to help facilitate the move.

Fun times.

EH7

Aug 12, 2007
I'm not saying that the NEED it. But I can speak from experience that many Mooseheads over the years that have signed their ELCs while playing in Halifax were definitely ENJOYING their signing bonuses (along with other perks I mentioned).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad