CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
What I am curious about is what his whl contract means as far as Michigan commit. Does he have to stay in the dub through his 19 yr old season? Is there some sort of out clause? What does this mean for every other whl player who might want to jump to the NCAA before they age out of the chl? Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Well that's the whole situation isn't it? The first step is the NCAA decision (which isn't written in stone yet). Then comes the CHL response, if they will rip up the CHL contracts to adjust to this NCAA decision.

I doubt the CHL will let it's best 18-19 year olds jump to the NCAA without some kind of compensation.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Well that's the whole situation isn't it? The first step is the NCAA decision (which isn't written in stone yet). Then comes the CHL response, if they will rip up the CHL contracts to adjust to this NCAA decision.

I doubt the CHL will let it's best 18-19 year olds jump to the NCAA without some kind of compensation.
A good chunk of the chl won't be academically eligible also which we be another hurdle. Plus most have only ever cared about playing in the CHL(out west at least). Usually ncaa is the 2nd choice. I'm just wanting some clarity hopefully soon on what it will look like for next year so I can recruit lol

Reactions: Bubbles

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We shall see but it does appear to be shaking out that way......

This particular kid was always really on the border of the WHL/NCAA decision to begin with [he was a 1st round pick in WHL], and I don't think his ice time in Sioux Falls was that great. He's obviously hoping to have his cake and eat it too, which he'll probably get, but the big question is going to be if he can go at 18 (if he's good enough, TBD) or have to wait until 20.

“Noah is his own person and made his own decision,” said dad Mark Kosick, who coaches his son in the Langford-based Pacific Coast Hockey Academy Sea Devils program.

“He turned down at least 10 NCAA recruiting trips and had his full sights on Calgary and the WHL. But the trip down to Ann Arbor proved to be unbelievable. [Michigan head coach] Brandon Naurato is the smartest hockey mind I’ve come across. He is exactly the kind of coach we want Noah to play for.”

When a kid that signed a Tender bolts, it will be a bigger deal.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
A good chunk of the chl won't be academically eligible also which we be another hurdle. Plus most have only ever cared about playing in the CHL(out west at least). Usually ncaa is the 2nd choice. I'm just wanting some clarity hopefully soon on what it will look like for next year so I can recruit lol

Yeah, one decision is going to affect the next. CHL has remained silent on the whole issue. A bit strange.

I imagine the US kids that get drafted will want to play in the NCAA at 18 or 19 instead of back in the DUB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad