Chip Kelly is the new 49er coach

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So why doesn't he want the power this time?

Because he wont get it? York loves Baalke for one, and he's got a solid track record so there is no reason for him to give Kelly any power. Roseman was meh thats why it was easier to take his power, also helped that he was a high-profile signing & Lurie did give Reid full powers when he was there.

Im a little surprised by the hiring. I really thought they'd bring back Shanahan due to his track record & previous stint with the team. But according to Rapporport Kelly really likes Kaep and was going to try and acquire him wherever he went.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Chip wasnt a good coach this year, and it had nothing to down to him as a gm. Even last year he had many questionable decisions. Good luck to him though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Might not be a bad move for Kaepernick. Chip's "system" was tailor made for him, assuming that pile of injuries he suffered hasn't damaged him for good.

They're keeping him away from power too so that's a plus, especially when you got a good GM already in place.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Might not be a bad move for Kaepernick. Chip's "system" was tailor made for him, assuming that pile of injuries he suffered hasn't damaged him for good.

They're keeping him away from power too so that's a plus, especially when you got a good GM already in place.

I don't see it being a good thing for Kaepernick in Chips system. It's a hurry up offense, all the time, in every game. That means a QB needs to think quickly, play after play. Kaepernick is big, fast, athletic and has a very strong arm. His weakness is his football smarts. I think he's going to be confused beyond belief, trying to think quickly, over and over again.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't see Kap as being Kelly's guy either. I actually think Gabbert might have a solid chance to be the starter there. He's good in an up-tempo style offense, has a decent pocket sense and likes to throw to tight ends and backs. All major pluses in a Chip Kelly style offense. I think he wins starter in preseason and runs with it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kaepernick is not Chip's kind of guy, and he supposedly wasn't going to want him if he became available this year. We'll see now that he's inheriting him and is making the decision.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Gabbert likes to throw to rb's and te's because he's captain check down. If Gabbert doesn't learn to take more shots down the field, I'd rather Kap get another chance.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Gabbert likes to throw to rb's and te's because he's captain check down. If Gabbert doesn't learn to take more shots down the field, I'd rather Kap get another chance.

He had a higher YPA than Kaep. It was the terrible playcalling that dictated those throws. When Gabbert was given the freedom to go downfield, he was pretty successful.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He had a higher YPA than Kaep. It was the terrible playcalling that dictated those throws. When Gabbert was given the freedom to go downfield, he was pretty successful.

He also left quite a few plays on the field by quickly dumping it off.

I like Gabbert's arm and accuracy. I just want to see him use it. If he doesn't, i'd rather they look elsewhere.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He also left quite a few plays on the field by quickly dumping it off.

I like Gabbert's arm and accuracy. I just want to see him use it. If he doesn't, i'd rather they look elsewhere.

I think Chip's scheme fits both current QB's moreso than whatever they ran last year. It was Jimmy Raye conservative.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would advise against taking Rap's word as the gospel.

Didnt say he was the be all-end all but hes a good source so I would believe what he says until another credible option disproves it. Kaep is the dual-threat type Kelly loves. Was recruited by him as well before he chose Nevada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad