Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Would a Castellanos/Edwin Diaz swap make sense? Forget if that’s been mentioned here before.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Would a Castellanos/Edwin Diaz swap make sense? Forget if that’s been mentioned here before.
I am pretty confident that Castellanos is untradeable even for another bad contract. Would be nice to get anything for him but the Phillies are stuck with him. If he isn't playing his value isn't going anywhere. The only way to get rid of him is to let him play and hope he gets hot and can be dealt. That doesn't look like it is happening. Would be nice if they could ditch him and somehow bring in Luis Robert. I know people love our prospects but I would definitely trade one of our top guys for him. Probably wouldn't do multiple but I'd give up one of Painter/Abel/Crawford/Miller.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am pretty confident that Castellanos is untradeable even for another bad contract. Would be nice to get anything for him but the Phillies are stuck with him. If he isn't playing his value isn't going anywhere. The only way to get rid of him is to let him play and hope he gets hot and can be dealt. That doesn't look like it is happening. Would be nice if they could ditch him and somehow bring in Luis Robert. I know people love our prospects but I would definitely trade one of our top guys for him. Probably wouldn't do multiple but I'd give up one of Painter/Abel/Crawford/Miller.

I'd still be hesitant on moving Painter, but i'm fine with the rest.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd still be hesitant on moving Painter, but i'm fine with the rest.
I get that, but Painter comes with the obvious injury concerns and the just uncertain prospect of being a pitcher who hasn't pitched in two years. If we can get a legit stud like Robert for him (especially if we somehow also move Casty in a separate deal) I think it is a no-brainer. Even if Painter turns out to be an ace somewhere else, adding a 26 year old Robert to this team I think has a bigger impact now obviously, but also is a safer bet to be a bigger impact for the next few years. Imagine a lineup in the playoffs of

Schwarber
Turner
Harper
Robert
Marsh
JT
Bohm
Stott
Rojas

alternating back and forth the R/L from 1-6. No one is getting through that lineup. We still have Wheeler/Nola/Ranger to go 1-3. That's the lineup for the next few years and Abel/Miller/Crawford can fill in holes that may or may not appear. The rumors seem to be that the Sox will be looking for a ton for him so this may be a moot point, but if they would do it for a package that involved Painter as the centerpiece without the other three big names, I don't think I would hesitate to pull that trigger.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I get that, but Painter comes with the obvious injury concerns and the just uncertain prospect of being a pitcher who hasn't pitched in two years. If we can get a legit stud like Robert for him (especially if we somehow also move Casty in a separate deal) I think it is a no-brainer. Even if Painter turns out to be an ace somewhere else, adding a 26 year old Robert to this team I think has a bigger impact now obviously, but also is a safer bet to be a bigger impact for the next few years. Imagine a lineup in the playoffs of

Schwarber
Turner
Harper
Robert
Marsh
JT
Bohm
Stott
Rojas

alternating back and forth the R/L from 1-6. No one is getting through that lineup. We still have Wheeler/Nola/Ranger to go 1-3. That's the lineup for the next few years and Abel/Miller/Crawford can fill in holes that may or may not appear. The rumors seem to be that the Sox will be looking for a ton for him so this may be a moot point, but if they would do it for a package that involved Painter as the centerpiece without the other three big names, I don't think I would hesitate to pull that trigger.

My concern with Robert is that he has been f***ing awful this season and he's oft-injured.

He's hitting .186. Only 19 games though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
My concern with Robert is that he has been f***ing awful this season and he's oft-injured.

He's hitting .186. Only 19 games though.
That's fair but I think you put him in this lineup and that changes. I also think that is a reason he may not cost what they are reporting the Sox want for him. If he does get traded (not necessarily here but anywhere) I am willing to bet the return is going to be underwhelming. There is no chance they get more than what Soto brought back and my guess would be they don't get anything eye-popping specifically for these reasons.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Pache is pretty safe. May as well keep as many guys as you can.
If they plan to keep Rojas in the minors for the rest of the year and not trade for anyone…maybe.

Seems unlikely. Those are the group of players they will be chopping from once the deadline comes around. If Pache had options he would have been in AAA a long time ago. He’s the least used position player on the roster and only slightly more productive than Rojas on a per AB basis. It’ll be a showcase for the next month.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I think they make a trade for an outfielder at some point and probably package rojas

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they plan to keep Rojas in the minors for the rest of the year and not trade for anyone…maybe.

Seems unlikely. Those are the group of players they will be chopping once the deadline comes around. If Pache had options he would have been in AAA a long time ago. He’s the least used position player on the roster and only slightly more productive than Rojas on a per AB basis.
He’s an established defensive replacement though who can be used as or replace a pinch runner.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He’s an established defensive replacement though who can be used as or replace a pinch runner.
If that’s his main role, Rojas is that but better. Rojas is top 5 fastest guy in the league and they clearly prefer him in center field. Pache hasn’t stolen double digit bags since A ball.

A contender wouldn’t hold onto Pache this long if they didn’t see potential but at some point they are going to have to make a decision on him and he has a lot of overlapping traits with Rojas who they’ve preferred for almost a calendar year and if he was out of options like Pache, he wouldn’t be in AAA right now. They just took the path of least resistance with activating Trea. There’s also a chance Sosa sees time in the outfield which makes things cloudier for those guys on the bubble.

It’s literally a numbers game.

Reactions: SnS and wankstifier

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If that’s his main role, Rojas is that but better. Rojas is top 5 fastest guy in the league and they clearly prefer him in center field. Pache hasn’t stolen double digit bags since A ball.

A contender wouldn’t hold onto Pache this long if they didn’t see potential but at some point they are going to have to make a decision on him and he has a lot of overlapping traits with Rojas who they’ve preferred for almost a calendar year and if he was out of options like Pache, he wouldn’t be in AAA right now. They just took the path of least resistance with activating Trea. There’s also a chance Sosa sees time in the outfield which makes things cloudier for those guys on the bubble.

It’s literally a numbers game.
There is a plan with Rojas though. And options. There’s the possibility they they move Rojas, too.

Just don’t want to lose a guy before you have to.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
they'll make a move for an OF and trade away pieces we don't think they should..essentially the Flyers of the baseball world lol

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Dusty Wathan is such an awful 3B coach. Bohm is one of the slower runners on the team. There was 1-out.

You take 2nd & 3rd with 1-out and Marsh at the plate every time. If there were 2-outs then maybe you send him, but not with 1-out.

Reactions: orangey and SnS

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This ump, like most umps, is a fat blind piece of shit.

Dusty Wathan is such an awful 3B coach. Bohm is one of the slower runners on the team. There was 1-out.

You take 2nd & 3rd with 1-out and Marsh at the plate every time. If there were 2-outs then maybe you send him, but not with 1-out.

You never send Bohm on anything remotely close. He's astonishingly slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00