News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We are clearly being overlooked as a result of hosting the World Cup of Hockey and World Juniors next season. It's not related, but I'm sure that's how the league feels they can justify it.

It's still a slap in the face though.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Love how Hawks fans are saying Toronto is irrelevant, yet this irrelevant team's winter classic had higher ratings (and was tied for highest rated regular season game since 1975) IN AMERICA than America's darlings, the Hawks.

Also, the "Leafs aren't competitive thus don't deserve the draft" is one of the most bizarre things I've heard. Buffalo is hosting the event this year, and no one will confuse them with Cup contenders.

Don't even want to get started on the "oh, but the Leafs have the World Cup"...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Love how Hawks fans are saying Toronto is irrelevant, yet this irrelevant team's winter classic had higher ratings (and was tied for highest rated regular season game since 1975) IN AMERICA than America's darling, the Hawks.

Also, the "Leafs aren't competitive thus don't deserve the draft" is one of the most bizarre things I've heard. Buffalo is hosting the event this year, and no one will confuse them with Cup contenders.

I didn't bother with the NHL section after a while. I can only read so much..."stuff" before I just decide I'm better off with keeping my brain cells in tact.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's only 100 though. Maybe they're saving it all for the 200th?

LA & St Louis & Philly & Pittsburgh will be 150 - rinse and repeat.

to Magic Mitch's point - basically when we're decent (forget even being flat out awful). we bring the money in. I don't think anything hockey related has even come close to the numbers that the Leafs/Bruins series did (period) or even could dream about coming close to for that game seven.

as much as people want to whine + complain about it: the Leafs bring in eyeballs. Subban said it two years ago - every player has an eyeball on Toronto because WE ALL have a vested interest in how they do.

Toronto makes money. League benefits.
Toronto makes MORE money when we're good. League REALLY benefits.

it's all hardyharhar with a side of wah whah wah, that our revenue powers the league (more so, I'd imagine than NYR/Montreal - like I would imagine it's not an equal split). and though financially secure teams (the Detroits, the Flyers etc). can pull their own - again. let's just put this in perspective.

game seven of the first round between the leafs + bruins had more views in Canada/USA - than game Six (cup clinching game) of the Hawks/Bruins two months later (both sides of the border).

telling you. Revenue sharing - I would be more than fine than Toronto taking that particular ball and going home because it's not hurting US, any.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Man...no ASG, no WC and now no Draft. Sucks when the NBA has no problem putting their ASG in Toronto this year.

They're probably just gonna be like "oh you get the Heritage Classic".

Thanks NHL, thanks. For nothing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
game seven of the first round between the leafs + bruins had more views in Canada/USA - than game Six (cup clinching game) of the Hawks/Bruins two months later (both sides of the border).
Since you mentioned that here was the ratings for Leafs/Red Wings Winter Classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NHL_Winter_Classic

The combined average television viewership for the 2014 NHL Winter Classic on NBC in the U.S., and CBC and RDS in Canada was 8.234 million viewers in North America, becoming the most watched regular season game ever. The previous highest combined average television viewership was 6.6 million viewers for the 2011 NHL Winter Classic. The 4.404 million average viewers for NBC's broadcast in the U.S. was the second-largest audience for an NHL regular-season game since 1975. The 3.57 million average viewers for CBC's broadcast in Canada was the largest audience ever for an NHL regular-season game in Canadian broadcast history. The game garnered a 2.5 rating, tying the 2009 NHL Winter Classic as the highest-rated NHL regular-season game since 1975. The rating and viewership for the game were up 19% and 18%, respectively, compared to the 2012 NHL Winter Classic.

mikebel111*

Its pretty obvious NHL hates Toronto.
Its sad but it seems thats what it is.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Love how Hawks fans are saying Toronto is irrelevant, yet this irrelevant team's winter classic had higher ratings (and was tied for highest rated regular season game since 1975) IN AMERICA than America's darlings, the Hawks.

Hey, to be fair, a good number of Hawks fans saying that have only become hockey fans in the past seven or eight years.

It's great Chicago's doing well now, but most of us remember the empty building night after night after night in the early 2000's.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
hate Toronto, love the revenue. pft.

Abusers tend to never stop

until the abused stands up for themselves.

We as a collective nation have not stood up and voted with our wallets and eyeballs in a very very very long time.

Just sayen.

We could learn a thing or two from the Liverpool fans.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hey, to be fair, a good number of Hawks fans saying that have only become hockey fans in the past seven or eight years.

It's great Chicago's doing well now, but most of us remember the empty building night after night after night in the early 2000's.

didn't Bill Wirtz have a lot to do with it?
(like wasn't he their Ballard?)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm guessing the NHL will announce shortly that Leafs will be the host of an Outdoor game on Jan 1st, 2017 for their centennial year.

Outdoor games bring in huge fan interest and allows a team to promote its past with a legends game of Leafs past (Sittler, Gilmour, Clark) and their future with a Marlies game (Nylander etc) along with the Leafs organization present.

That would be a far more appealing to MLSE then hosting the entry draft or All-Star game.

That's been Gary Bettman's MO his whole tenure. EFF the fans and cater to the ownership, which of course is his job but easy to see why it annoys fans. Heaven forbid they think of the people paying the money.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Today was not a good day. So what if we don't get the heritage classic either. Didn't Bettany promise it to jets earlier. This is beyond insulting and really hope Shanny and crew can get the league back.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Bettman knows you cater to American Teams to grow the game and get the big American TV contracts. Toronto's job is to supply the money to fund the American expansion. The fact that Canada will have no playoff teams is Mu$ic to Bettman's ear$.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Meh don't care. The Leafs will be good again soon, and when that time comes Buttmen will be kicking our shoes.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

The Hawks should be a bit more humble. Their franchise was on the verge of imploding not all that long ago. Leafs nation has always been strong and will continue to be strong no matter the challenges we face.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Today was not a good day. So what if we don't get the heritage classic either. Didn't Bettany promise it to jets earlier. This is beyond insulting and really hope Shanny and crew can get the league back.
Last Saturday Elliotte Friedman reported he could see Toronto hosting a Heritage Classic on January 1, 2017 since the NHL won't care about it going up against NFL regular season games. I take that to mean the NHL will have 2 Heritage Classic games next season in Toronto and Winnipeg. During the 2013-2014 season there was 4 Stadium Series Games and this season there is 2 Stadium Series games happening in the United States with USA based teams, so why can't there be multiple Heritage Classic games in Canada with Canadian based teams?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Where were those Blackhawk fans when they were losing? Say what you want about Toronto and our recent lack of winning the Air Canada Centre is still sold out for the Leafs.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Going to take a wild guess and say nobody in the Leafs management or at MLSE period will make so much of a mention about the NHL not giving a damn about the Leafs 100th. MLSE after all has taken Leaf fans for granted for ages, why shouldn't the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad