Value of: Chiarot to Calgary for Pelletier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

There was speculation at the time of the Toffoli trade that Chiarot had been considered as part of the deal, but that it had been scaled back.

Now there's speculation Calgary might still be interested, and the asking price is Jakob Pelletier, which fits pretty well with the idea the cost is a 1st rounder, since Pelletier is a 1st round pick who's been developing well.

So, could this deal be 1 for 1 ? If Habs retain 50%, is there any need for any cap hit to be going the other way ?

The article speculates Dustin Wolf might be a throw-in, but that would essentially mean the Habs are giving up on Cayden Primeau, since it's hard to have 2 goalies developping in the AHL at the same time, so I'm not seeing that happening.

(I have to admit I suspect it might become the two 2nd rounders Calgary owns this year rather than Pelletier, for Chiarot)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I really don't see this happening. The Flames, overall, love to put time into developing players. Sometimes too much time, and they don't give those players opportunities soon enough. They generally do not give up on guys they've invested time into though.

Also the last thing the Flames need is another shut down dman. If anything, the flames need a pp point dman and an upgrade at centre.

Makes zero sense and I'll be quite upset if this goes down.

Reactions: kanucks25

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The thread titles implies that it's the basis of a deal for both sides

"Calgary is interested in Chiarot. Montreal wants Pelletier" better captures what LeBrun wrote.
Fair enough, but the fact is, they are still talking, despite the gap in the asks.
If you have another suggestion, that's kind of the purpose of the thread.

How about 2 2nd rounders and Wolf ? Would that be more or less palatable than Pelletier straight up ?

Ledge And Dairy

There was speculation at the time of the Toffoli trade that Chiarot had been considered as part of the deal, but that it had been scaled back.

Now there's speculation Calgary might still be interested, and the asking price is Jakob Pelletier, which fits pretty well with the idea the cost is a 1st rounder, since Pelletier is a 1st round pick who's been developing well.

So, could this deal be 1 for 1 ? If Habs retain 50%, is there any need for any cap hit to be going the other way ?

The article speculates Dustin Wolf might be a throw-in, but that would essentially mean the Habs are giving up on Cayden Primeau, since it's hard to have 2 goalies developping in the AHL at the same time, so I'm not seeing that happening.

(I have to admit I suspect it might become the two 2nd rounders Calgary owns this year rather than Pelletier, for Chiarot)
This is a blog, it carries zero substance and is entirely a Habs biased opinion. Not to mention the blog itself states that Pelletier is around the same value/potential as Caufield
This is a player who’s as excitable as Cole Caufield and will immediately become a fan favorite if he lives up to his potential.
By that logic Zadorov (who is better than Chiarot) should be able to fetch Caufield
The original info comes from Pierre Lebrun, though, so it does have some basis in reality. This isn't just fans on twitter making stuff up.
And his article doesn't relate either of the players to a potential trade
I think the Flames remain among the several teams interested in Chiarot. Remember that Calgary tried to get him in the Tyler Toffoli trade last month but couldn’t make a bigger deal work. But the Flames have continued to keep tabs on Chiarot with the obvious issue right now that I think Calgary views the current price as too high. My sense is the Habs have strong interest in Flames prospect Jakob Pelletier, the team’s 2019 first-round pick.
All it says is that Habs want one of the best prospects in the NHL (no shit). It also says that Calgary has kicked tires on Chiarot before and may still be. Not that Chiarot has anywhere remotely close to Pelletier's value (because he doesn't)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I really don't see this happening. The Flames, overall, love to put time into developing players. Sometimes too much time, and they don't give those players opportunities soon enough. They generally do not give up on guys they've invested time into though.

Also the last thing the Flames need is another shut down dman. If anything, the flames need a pp point dman and an upgrade at centre.

Makes zero sense and I'll be quite upset if this goes down.

While I agree Pelletier would be a lot for chiarot, they are definitely interested in him. Whether it makes sense or not the Flames definitely will put in a legit offer by deadline day.

Ledge And Dairy

It’s heavily reported by Lebrun that the flames want chariot and that the habs have said they want Pelletier. Whether that happens is a different thing but to suggest it isn’t a rumour isn’t correct either
It's a relation of two completely unrelated things, thinking Chiarot returns someone remotely close to Pelletier's caliber is lunacy.

If you can give me a logical reason on why Calgary should pay premium for a player who would be a healthy scratch for them (baring an injury) then I am all ears

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They didnt give up pelletier for toffoli, so they are definitely not going to give him up for chiarot.

I dont think a chiarot trade to Calgary will work out

Reactions: Gravity and Bond

Bond

May 10, 2012
They didnt give up pelletier for toffoli, so they are definitely not going to give him up for chiarot.

I dont think a chiarot trade to Calgary will work out
Yup, that would actually be a better return than what Toffoli got

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Fair enough, but the fact is, they are still talking, despite the gap in the asks.
If you have another suggestion, that's kind of the purpose of the thread.

How about 2 2nd rounders and Wolf ? Would that be more or less palatable than Pelletier straight up ?

I don't know enough about the Flames to comment, honestly.

The yellow tag just caught my eye. The title made it seem like it's something that it isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's a relation of two completely unrelated things, thinking Chiarot returns someone remotely close to Pelletier's caliber is lunacy.

If you can give me a logical reason on why Calgary should pay premium for a player who would be a healthy scratch for them (baring an injury) then I am all ears
Well, remotely close ? The rumors of a 1st rounder are pretty close already, while Pelletier has developed well, he still hasn't proven anything in the NHL, and his max upside isn't as high as a 1st rounder's would be. (I'd take him over a 1st since he's developed well, but it's not that big a difference)

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Stop saying it's a Habs fake rumors Pierre Lebrun straight up said it on live tv tonight that Habs asked for Pelletier in return of Chiarot. He also said that the Flames refuses to move Pelletier so either they find another way to make it work or Chairot won't end up in Calgary unless they agree let Pelletier go last minute.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Mayne title should be changed to Habs asked for Pelletier for Chiarot or something like that.
I won't go change a titre just because people are so hung up on titles rather than discussing what else Calgary could offer or any kind of constructive discussion.

Aug 3, 2010
Stop saying it's a Habs fake rumors Pierre Lebrun straight up said it on live tv tonight that Habs asked for Pelletier in return of Chiarot. He also said that the Flames refuses to move Pelletier so either they find another way to make it work or Chairot won't end up in Calgary unless they agree let Pelletier go last minute.
Could you link the clip please?

I won't go change a titre just because people are so hung up on titles rather than discussing what else Calgary could offer or any kind of constructive discussion.
How stubborn. Way to purposefully misdirect what could have been legitimate discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad