LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean... he had a very good playoffs... that was sort of my point. I get it though, tough to evaluate players in the playoffs as a Leafs fan. Don't really know what good ones look like.
We got shutout in game 7 and your point was that Ben Chiarot would have made the difference. Like I really really should not have to explain it anymore then this. But the irony of you talking about anyone having difficulty evaluating players after this from you is hilarious.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What is there to "learn" from? He played the most ice time, 25:15 per game, over 22 games last season when his team went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Obviously he brings a specific skillset and it's not flashy but it's proven crucial to winning in the postseason in new trend that the NHL's seasons have been developing so why would you go against the evidence?
And he was a -16 on that Stanley Cup Finals team. Maybe some people realize that a player playing on a good team isn't automatically really good. He's also playing on a really bad team this year, which doesn't make him really bad. Maybe what you can "learn" if you have an open mind is to value the player not just look at how his team did in 1 artificially rigged playoff situation.

What you list as "evidence" may be "evidence". But it doesn't mean it's convincing evidence once you look past the superficial "his team was good so he is good" argument. Because if you use simple metric, I guess that means he's bad this year. I mean... why would you go against the evidence?

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
We got shutout in game 7 and your point was that Ben Chiarot would have made the difference. Like I really really should not have to explain it anymore then this. But the irony of you talking about anyone having difficulty evaluating players after this from you is hilarious.

Odd that you say you got shutout when the Leafs scored one goal. And yet you dispute my connection to reality. Curious.
85l7dkrtto631.png

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Odd that you say you got shutout when the Leafs scored one goal. And yet you dispute my connection to reality. Curious.
85l7dkrtto631.png
It really doesn't change my point though? We couldn't score against the Habs when it mattered last year. Your solution is Ben Chiarot. You just come across like a greasy used car salesmen trying to pawn off your garbage. If you like him so much f***in keep him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Will he get a first? Probably
Is he worth a first? Probably not

I hope my team deals their 1st to try and bolster the roster for this year but I'd be pissed if it went to the Habs for Chiarot

Reactions: Ragdoll

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
20 point, 8-10 goal, big, mobile dman that can eat big minutes and take tough assignments. Supposedly really good in the room.

Here, that makes him terrible. In the real world he would be a huge add for a team that wants to make a run.

Who knows if he gets a first but he is legit.

Reactions: Slashers98

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Chiarot is a good defenseman and I'm sure he'll return a 1st. I'm not sure he's a guy I would give a 1st for though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Again he played 25 minutes a game on a cup finals run. GMs will remember that.

The counter point to that line of reasoning is that's a lot of mileage and wear and tear and Chiarot also doesn't come with Price, Weber, Danault.

UED

May 2, 2021
Highly doubt it but hopefully he does. Of course, they'll turn around and trade the pick for another future UFA bottom 6er in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs next year anyway. They haven't picked twice in the first round since 2007 and the Dvorak trade informs us unequivocally that it's intentional.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Its not just this last playoff run either, he played top 4 d minutes for the Jets when they went to the ECF. And he has been solid for 3 years in Montreal and is getting better each year. Has 5 goals so far this year.

Anyone that is objective and has watched him play will tell you he is a solid top 4 dman.

Reactions: HabsTown

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The counter point to that line of reasoning is that's a lot of mileage and wear and tear and Chiarot also doesn't come with Price, Weber, Danault.
Weak counter. Any team that picks him up will have their own version of those players. He is going to be added as a compliment to an already very good team

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Weak counter. Any team that picks him up will have their own version of those players. He is going to be added as a compliment to an already very good team

Or he's just good old Ben Chiarot from his Winnipeg days... if I'm a random team paying a first I'd probably go for Petry even though he's been struggling.

Reactions: jetsforever

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Or he's just good old Ben Chiarot from his Winnipeg days... if I'm a random team paying a first I'd probably go for Petry even though he's been struggling.

He hasn’t played there in more then 3 years. And good ol Ben was leaned on pretty heavy in that run to the ECF, he was playing more then 20 a game on a team that was deep at D.

And Petry is on a new longish deal. And has forgotten how to play hockey - Ben has been much better then Petry for 40 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad