Seravalli: Chiarot being scratched until traded?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well, this league is kinda soft. Playoffs rules change.

Regular season Chiarot, I'll give you the he's not worth the hype, but the way he plays is prime playoffs.

Forwards for a hit on him and they bounce off, then he demolishes them, or makes them pay for going to the net.

His offense that he shows/has showed I wouldn't count on it once the playoffs start. Anything he produces is "found money"

His advanced numbers look bad, or likely do. However, they almost certainly don't and likely can't take into account how much a team has sucked at points in their season.

In short, he's a big, mean, punishing dman that blocks shots, throws hits, clears the net and can fight. His puck moving abilities are decent. Boomer shot, but wouldn't count on offense from him. If you are counting on him to provide offense, then your team isn't ready and you shouldn't trade for him.
I generally agree with this assessment, but I'd add that he's shown enough on offense that a team can hope to survive for a couple of games with him on the PP if other options get hurt. That has some value, too.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hopefully none of the above.
Zack Bolduc would be a great fit. Habs are low on center prospects, and management seems interested in adding drafted players rather than just picks (who will be farther away, and MTL management is looking for a quick turnaround)

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I’m a Habs fan and love Chariot. I don’t think he is worth a 1st, but the market is the market. With not many Dman available, some team will throw a 1st at him for a shot at the cup. He was great in the POs last year and is a good addition to any team.
I expect the Habs will get 1st round value, but not a 1st rounder. For example, 2 2nds and a B prospect is 1st round value, to me, but others here will argue they were right all along that he wasn't fetching a 1st.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
God I hope the Blues don't spend anything for Chiarot. He is not the missing link on the backend for a cup run. If you aren't going for Lindholm, Chychrun, or another high end top 4 LHD just save your assets. Don't waste them on someone like Chiarot.
Chiarot more for Cup contender than a long shot like St.Louis. Like Savard was last year for Tampa. They give up a first, 30 something pick, little chance he makes much impact in NHL. In exchange they get physical blueliner who's proven playoff warrior. Insurance policy

Reactions: Rob Sense

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
People not wanting Chiarot on their team for the playoff run will have a rough awakening when their team cross his path.

This guy is a horse in the playoffs. He plays rough, solid and intelligent playoff hockey. I would pay a late 1st any day of the week for a deep playoff run.

Reactions: 1909

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Did Buffalo fans move to Montreal after that Ryan Miller trade? Can people stop acting like a single player can guarantee a deep playoff run. Especially when you base it off of a previous magical playoff run.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Chiarot more for Cup contender than a long shot like St.Louis. Like Savard was last year for Tampa. They give up a first, 30 something pick, little chance he makes much impact in NHL. In exchange they get physical blueliner who's proven playoff warrior. Insurance policy
Like I said. Chiarot does not fix the Blues Blueline. And the Blues current Blueline isn't there yet either.

I'd rather watch the Blues get stomped first round and keep their 1st rounder than pay their 1st rounder to get stomped in the 2nd round against the Avs and have nothing to show for it next season.

Plus Armstrong has a past of not giving up anything higher than a 3rd rounder for a rental. Any trade Armstrong makes I feel will be bringing in a player with another year or a RFA.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Like I said. Chiarot does not fix the Blues Blueline. And the Blues current Blueline isn't there yet either.

I'd rather watch the Blues get stomped first round and keep their 1st rounder than pay their 1st rounder to get stomped in the 2nd round against the Avs and have nothing to show for it next season.

Plus Armstrong has a past of not giving up anything higher than a 3rd rounder for a rental. Any trade Armstrong makes I feel will be bringing in a player with another year or a RFA.
I would heavily agree with this. A team like yours have most likely no chance to win the cup from other teams. Teams like Colorado , Florida , Tampa , Vegas makes more sense in the way that they are closer.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Whoever gets him will be happy.

I always had a soft spot for him when the majority of the habs forum would flame him relentlessly because he's not a skill player. He will eat up 23 mins a night no problem in the playoffs and has an above average shot. Trust me, you may not see his true value in the regular season but if your team is on the road in game 5 of a series you will be quite happy you have this guy.

Honestly quite sad to see him about to go even if they get a first rounder for him.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Blues are interested? Are they trying to lead the league in crosschecks per game with Chiarot and Bortuzzo in tow?

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
I expect the Habs will get 1st round value, but not a 1st rounder. For example, 2 2nds and a B prospect is 1st round value, to me, but others here will argue they were right all along that he wasn't fetching a 1st.
Makes sense. Tbh, as we already have Calgary’s 1st, I’d rather get a prospect we really like or something other than a 1st as long as the value is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad