Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Well. There is the SPC. I don't think it's said anywhere that the player has to agree to the Loan to a different country, though usually it's the overseas prospects on Sliding ELC getting loaned to their domestic league.

11. It is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to Assign or to Loan this SPC, and the Player agrees to accept and be bound by such Assignment or Loan, and will faithfully perform and carry out this SPC with the same purpose and effect as if it had been entered into by the Player and such other club.

It is further mutually agreed that in the event that this SPC is Assigned, or the Player's services are Loaned, to another club, the club shall by notice in writing delivered to the Player advise the Player of the name and address of the club to which he has been Assigned or Loaned, and specify the time and place of reporting. If the Player fails to report to such other club, he may be suspended by such other club and no Paragraph 1 Salary shall be payable to him during the period of such suspension.

There's got to be a reason this doesn't happen with non-ELC players, right?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
There's got to be a reason this doesn't happen with non-ELC players, right?
You'd think so from the (non-)evidence, but beats me if I can find one.

ELCs being two-way contracts would be a practical one, as officially the "AHL" salary is actually paid when player player is "Loaned -- to a club in another league", and so covers the overseas Loans. Loaning a guy on one-way contract would mean paying him NHL salary to play in an overseas league. Then there are the per-diems etc. that the Loaned players are entitled to. The overseas ones can be hefty I guess.

There's the waivers issue obviously: the player needs to clear waivers before he can be Loaned to another league, be it AHL or some else.

Apparently bringing them back mid-season may be a hassle. I don't know where the rule can be found, but I'm told those guys ditching to KHL "European Assignment Clause" can't return to NHL until their KHL season is folded. Those Loans happen because the players with the EA clause can demand it, but Chevy let on re: Vesalainen that they are a federation-level issue to set up.

Loans to IIHF-associated leagues likely are subject to the existing transfer agreement between NHL and IIHF. There may be something discouraging there.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Please for all that's holy, bring Booth back to this team and relegate Darling to 3rd string or ECHL. This is just ridiculous that what might be our best goal tending prospect doesn't get the "next step" development he needs because of Scott ****ing Darling.
Except for the Entry-level System guys, a Loan to ECHL is not an option unless the players consents to it.

I don't know if you can ask a Stanley Cup Winner™ to go to ECHL.

Of course what you can do is ask the other 30 teams if any of them wants this guy with this SPC, and go from there if they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad