Confirmed with Link: Chatty back 3x3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Really good deal. Surprised chatfield didn’t test market definitely think he could of got more a year or two more and more money but happy he’s back in Raleigh
I think it's a smart move for Chatfield to take only 3 years, probably taking a bet on himself. He might have a chance to be a 2nd pair guy here. If he keeps that job locked down and proves his worth, he might be able to get like 4.5-5.5m on his next deal at age 31.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think it's a smart move for Chatfield to take only 3 years, probably taking a bet on himself. He might have a chance to be a 2nd pair guy here. If he keeps that job locked down and proves his worth, he might be able to get like 4.5-5.5m on his next deal at age 31.
Also the NMC means he likes it here and thinks that he is maybe betting on just that. I don't have a problem with chats at 3m. A little high but okay.

REALLY need to see pesce or Skjei stay.

We have real roster issues, that's for sure

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Comes in under the Clifton comp from last year, despite the cap spike. He probably needed a little incentive to do that.

At average D allocation (over the past 6 seasons), there's ~$6 mil left to spread across 2, probably 3, defensemen. That's enough for a fringe Top 4 type, a rookie and minimum spare.

Bump up the allocation to the mid point between the average and max, and there's ~$8.2 mil available for that group. That opens up the door for a Top 4 D.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Also the NMC means he likes it here and thinks that he is maybe betting on just that. I don't have a problem with chats at 3m. A little high but okay.

REALLY need to see pesce or Skjei stay.

We have real roster issues, that's for sure
Pesce is gone and so is Skjei. Pesce 100 percent Skjei probably 95. You can’t run a right side of Burns Pesce Chatfield there’s just not enough offence.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Comes in under the Clifton comp from last year, despite the cap spike. He probably needed a little incentive to do that.

At average D allocation (over the past 6 seasons), there's ~$6 mil left to spread across 2, probably 3, defensemen. That's enough for a fringe Top 4 type, a rookie and minimum spare.

Bump up the allocation to the mid point between the average and max, and there's ~$8.2 mil available for that group. That opens up the door for a Top 4 D.

If the Canes want a 3-deep left side again, I wonder if Ryan Lindgren is an option for the Canes. Rangers may not be able to afford him if they want to permanently upgrade their RW, as they've publicly stated.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Look, we re-signed one of our own. Now some folks can pipe down a bit!

Consider me piped down, Chatfield was always the one I thought was most likely to come back but I figured he could get more than this on the market. The first step taken is a positive one as far as I’m concerned. I don’t want him as the for sure second pair RD but he’s been a good player and a good fit for the system.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Good news, and I like that contract. I like what he brings and was expecting that number to be closer to a 4 than a 3, so good work there. He paid a bit for that NMC, and his unspectacular playoff probably helped lower that number too. I think he's a better player than what he showed there (and there are always undisclosed injuries that can explain it too), so I'm confident he'll perform well.

Like others, I expect them to bring in another guy to be the 2RD, so he'll be 3rd pair with Morrow playing in the AHL.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Definitely moves the needle from "full blown panic" on the 24-25 defense to "it will probably be a lot worse but not suck." Like the signing. Interesting he got a no movement clause for effectively a 3rd pair guy. He must really like it here, especially by signing a completely fair deal at nice term for the Canes so close to free agency.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It is, but it needs context. They were very sheltered comparatively.

Image 6-13-24 at 6.43 PM.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad