Confirmed with Link: Chatty back 3x3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Chatty is the perfect 4/5.

Am I the only one who thinks that Morrow is expected to make the team. They burned a year of his ELC and he didn't look too out of place with his audition. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd pairing was Chatfield/Morrow. Chatty is able to play his off side well....just a thought. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morrow break camp with the big club.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Am I the only one who thinks that Morrow is expected to make the team. They burned a year of his ELC and he didn't look too out of place with his audition. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd pairing was Chatfield/Morrow. Chatty is able to play his off side well....just a thought. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morrow break camp with the big club.
No. I think we should use next year to get the young kids experience on NHL ice. I don't think it's a good idea to be trying to break too many kids in at once. (Nikishin won't go to the AHL and I view Blake and Nadeau as a year out or more.) We need to stagger them out and he's the most ready. Pencil him in, his job to lose.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I think it depends on what they do with the left side. If they successfully lock up Skjei or another top-4 caliber LD and run an overloaded left side again, they might be protected enough to take a shot with Morrow at 6D. If they choose to sign Pesce, OTOH, then Morrow is going to start in the AHL.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Both Slavin and Pesce said that their very short stint in the AHL was very helpful in transitioning to the NHL. I expect management will want to marinate him in Chicago for at least a little bit.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks that Morrow is expected to make the team. They burned a year of his ELC
The matter of burning a year of the ELC will have meaningfulness only in season 2025-26 and the off-season after it, when it's time to think of his extension. Getting that was a move for the future for Morrow to get the ELC salary shackles off a year earlier but it doesn't immediately effect on his making the NHL roster for the 2024-25 season.

I'm pretty sure btw that the info of the expiry status of his SPC on CapFriendly ("RFA") is wrong. This first season with pesky two games played doesn't count as a professional season for Morrow for the Free Agency purposes (ten pro games needed), so he really shouldn't meet the qualifications to become a legit RFA in 2026 and should instead be a CBA 10.2(c) guy who can only negotiate and re-sign with the team holding his rights. That actually puts him in a little bit worse position re: the leverage in negotiating the terms of his extension.

I guess at some point this spring the CapFriendly has decided that they don't have to bother about updating the contract status info anymore.

Last edited:

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
wonder if they go after Walker, Roy or DeMelo now, to give Morrow a year in the minors. Seems like what RBA would prefer at least.

Personally, I think they now get a guy like Ferraro via trade or sign an Edmundson type to babysit Morrow.
I definitely like the “getting Ferraro” idea.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
No official "announcement" for Chatty or Tulsky. Does it have anything to do with pushing news during the playoffs?
Probably has eveything to do with that. By the CBA, when the SPC is signed it has to be promptly filed with the NHL Central Registry, so they can't sign the docs and put them in safe to be announced after the Finals, and it would also be a risk to not ink the papers once the terms are agreed on. The NHL has a bit self-defeating rules and "rules" re: all of this stuff.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think it depends on what they do with the left side. If they successfully lock up Skjei or another top-4 caliber LD and run an overloaded left side again, they might be protected enough to take a shot with Morrow at 6D. If they choose to sign Pesce, OTOH, then Morrow is going to start in the AHL.
I keep the memory of Chatty playing his off side w/Burns when Slavin was hurt. And, of course, there were a number of times he had to cover for the old guy. So I'm not sure it has to be another lefty. If Morrow is the 3RHD, then you're spending less than $4 million on the 3rd pairing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I keep the memory of Chatty playing his off side w/Burns when Slavin was hurt. And, of course, there were a number of times he had to cover for the old guy. So I'm not sure it has to be another lefty. If Morrow is the 3RHD, then you're spending less than $4 million on the 3rd pairing.
True but a vet on a league minimum-ish deal is just as cheap as Morrow. Possibly a little cheaper.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
True but a vet on a league minimum-ish deal is just as cheap as Morrow. Possibly a little cheaper.
With little to no upside....short term or long term. I think the money is better spent elsewhere. That said, there's no doubt you get a 22nd roster slot filled by a defensive defenseman.....hopefully who can play either side.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With little to no upside....short term or long term. I think the money is better spent elsewhere. That said, there's no doubt you get a 22nd roster slot filled by a defensive defenseman.....hopefully who can play either side.
Well, the upside could be not putting someone who’s likely not ready for the every day role in a position to fail, while letting him develop in the minors vs throwing him into the fire just because he’s cheap and prospects are fun?

If we want to win now then him developing in the NHL probably isn’t the best plan for Morrow. If he beats out a vet or two then so be it.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well, the upside could be not putting someone who’s likely not ready for the every day role in a position to fail, while letting them develop in the minors vs throwing them into the fire just because he’s cheap and prospects are fun?
And given Carolina has complete control in Chicago now, they can implement the same man defense scheme there and let Morrow get his adjustment in Chicago rather than against NHL talent.

Being able to guarantee Morrow big minutes in a similar defensive scheme has me leaning toward Morrow in Chicago.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I really, really hope someone out there gives TDA stupid money so we can move on.

Appreciate his efforts in 21-22 but I had no problem seeing him go in 22-23 and wasn't really excited about his return. Wasn't impressed with his play and it seemed like at times he wasn't happy with his role, which is fine but like de Haan last year ( who didn't seem to like being "replaced" by Gostibehere), there's just not enough room for everyone.

It's time to let go and either let someone like Morrow get his feet wet, or find someone else.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Will it be a "desperate for wins" scenario such that the youngsters won't get a fair shot for fear of missing the playoffs? TBD, I guess.

Why not give some of them a chance to see how they fare on the big stage? Look at how the team started out this season with vets and newcomers in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad