Proposal: CGY-STL Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If Calgary does not think they can sign him long term that is a hell of a haul, however they are also in win now mode. So I do not see it.
They are more likely to qualify him and have him sign for one year and then trading.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Don't really see the purpose for St. Louis. Tkachuk has a longer track record, but assuming Kyrou maintains close to this production moving forward, that's pretty close to a lateral move. Hanifin is a downgrade and just shifts our need from LHD to RHD. Mikkola is probably better in the top 4 than Bortozzo is, so an even bigger downgrade. And then we give a pick.

Ledge And Dairy

If Calgary does not think they can sign him long term that is a hell of a haul, however they are also in win now mode. So I do not see it.
They are more likely to qualify him and have him sign for one year and then trading.
They are not at all likely to let him sign the 1 year QO. Way more likely they file for team arbitration then try to sign him long term. If they cant sign him long term he will probably be traded to a team that thinks they can.

Don't really see the purpose for St. Louis. Tkachuk has a longer track record, but assuming Kyrou maintains close to this production moving forward, that's pretty close to a lateral move. Hanifin is a downgrade and just shifts our need from LHD to RHD. Mikkola is probably better in the top 4 than Bortozzo is, so an even bigger downgrade. And then we give a pick.
Calling Tkachuk and Kyrou a lateral move is asinine. Kyrou is producing well above his xGF and Tkachuk's 2-way game is much better.
Hanifin and Parayko are just different style players it's not really a downgrade. Parayko is pretty much the same style and Caliber as Tanev and I would not say Tanev is far better than Hanifin.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Uhh... I think both teams weirdly lose in a trade like this. Besides, shouldn't you be acquiring Hanifin to partner with Parayko? Hanifin is literally what many Flames fans consider as the second coming of JBo.

Even if Flames win the value part of the trade, we make a marginal improvement to our RW, but overall downgrade of our top 6. Then, our back end becomes a mess due to the LD.

Flames back end after this trade:

Kylington - Parayko
Valimaki/Mackey - Andersson/Tanev
Zadorov - Tanev/Andersson

Gubranson/Stone RD depth
Valimaki/Mackey LD depth

Dang nice group of RD, but kinda yikes on the LD side.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They are not at all likely to let him sign the 1 year QO. Way more likely they file for team arbitration then try to sign him long term. If they cant sign him long term he will probably be traded to a team that thinks they can.

Calling Tkachuk and Kyrou a lateral move is asinine. Kyrou is producing well above his xGF and Tkachuk's 2-way game is much better.
Hanifin and Parayko are just different style players it's not really a downgrade. Parayko is pretty much the same style and Caliber as Tanev and I would not say Tanev is far better than Hanifin.
This is asinine. Notice I said if he maintains this production moving forward. Both Kyrou and Tkachuk get heavy offensive usage with virtually no PK time, Kyrou has the advantage with takeaways the past 2 seasons. Don't act like Tkachuk is a Selke winger and Kyrou is a defensive liability, any difference there is insignificant. Hanifin is absolutely a downgrade on Parayko, and Parayko is significantly better than Tanev was, so...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
HAHAHAH no. Blues change their need for LHD for a new need of RHD. And Kyrou for Tkachuk doesn't really do anything for either team.

You should really stop making trade proposals for the Blues or Calgary, especially since you're not a fan of EITHER of these teams.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

His post did say it was assuming Kyrou maintained his current level of production. Plus if you factor in team control it bridges the gap even more. It all depends on how negotiations with Tkachuk are going but if they are having issues getting close to an agreement, this seems like an easy yes for Calgary.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's two quality players for two quality players, but the Blues have to pay the pick premium because they'd be taking on more salary for a swap that doesn't improve them. Also both teams just shift their weakness to a different position and remain needy. Pass.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Biggest problem is LD/RD, trading Hanifin for Parayko would decimate the Flames LD and load up the right, exact opposite for the Blues. If it wasn't for that I'd do the deal.
Parayko>Hanifin
Kyrou<Tkachuk
Given contract situations I'm not even sure if the 2nd is needed.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Any trade in which the Blues move for Tkachuk, which I’d bet most of us would love would have to include Tarasenko. Otherwise we are shooting our selves in the foot this off-season.

As to this deal. It makes about 0 sense for the Blues

Ledge And Dairy

This is asinine. Notice I said if he maintains this production moving forward. Both Kyrou and Tkachuk get heavy offensive usage with virtually no PK time, Kyrou has the advantage with takeaways the past 2 seasons. Don't act like Tkachuk is a Selke winger and Kyrou is a defensive liability, any difference there is insignificant. Hanifin is absolutely a downgrade on Parayko, and Parayko is significantly better than Tanev was, so...
Im not sure if you are serious or not but the defensive game between the 2 is night and day. And the offensive game is pretty relevant too.
ZeNlqEn.png

ZhKeupF.png

As for Parayko. No he is not better than Tanev, who was the best shutdown dman in the league last year. I like Parayko but I would rather keep Hanifin who is younger and has been the much more effective player for 2 seasons now

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Love me some Jordan Kyrou but Parayko really isn't all that great. Would rather have Hanifin who is younger, better, and cheaper.

As mentioned that would give the Flames three 4.5mil+ RD and Gudbranson. Doesn't make sense.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Love me some Jordan Kyrou but Parayko really isn't all that great. Would rather have Hanifin who is younger, better, and cheaper.

As mentioned that would give the Flames three 4.5mil+ RD and Gudbranson. Doesn't make sense.
We can't downgrade on the ice from a 24-minute a night defenseman and our #1 minutes guy to a 21-minute guy in Hanifin and deplete our depth on RD either.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
We can't downgrade on the ice from a 24-minute a night defenseman and our #1 minutes guy to a 21-minute guy in Hanifin and deplete our depth on RD either.

Agreed. Value wise aside, I think both teams end up with a weaker roster by consummating a trade like this.

Like... The blues targeting Hanifin to play with Parayko makes sense (as a JBo replacement).
Targeting Tkachuk for a home town kinda guy makes sense.

In both cases, the pieces used to consummate the deal end up punching a bigger hole than it fills. It's honestly impressive how bad the idea is without addressing value.

Flames suddenly have too many RD and need a replacement top 4 LD. Blues have that top 4 LD, but need a replacement minute muncher RD. Blues get Tkachuk who is a LW/RW at a good price while he's 50% retained, but upon extension, the price jumps up. Flames get Kyrou for another top 6 RHS, but retain on Tkachuk and what are we doing with the 2nd? Flames should do a no holds barred all in this season (Akin to the CBJ Panarin/Bob run), or should sell everyone off and do a rebuild.

Reactions: Stealth JD

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This deal would kill the Blues RD. We don't have a prospect ready to step in. Our RD would end up being Faulk-Bortuzzo-Santini. No thank you.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I get the spirit of the proposal but we need LD and Kyrou is still developing. Colt isn't going anywhere.

There's really no trade to be had here.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Gross. Absolutely not. Give up the better, younger forward and the better D for the privilege of giving up our 2nd round pick as well. Sweet deal.

Ledge And Dairy

Gross. Absolutely not. Give up the better, younger forward and the better D for the privilege of giving up our 2nd round pick as well. Sweet deal.
Kyrou is like 5 months younger and not even remotely as good as Tkachuk. Parayko is a older than Hanifin and hasn't been better than him in 2 years. Completely biased take

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad